WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will your cast "stash" last

Boolit Master

How long will your cast "stash" last

I was just reading on another post about how long a guys pile of boolits would last him. I have six Folger cans of boolits cast up in different sizes. I cast for the fun of it and not just to get stock ready. I took a whole Folgers can of 148 gr. TLWC this weekend and melted them down to make some HP. I might be loosing it but it is fun to cast and each time I get a little bit better with the procedure which makes the boolits that I cast a couple of months ago not up to my liking. I'm glad that lead can be recycled. One Folgers can would last a fair part of the summer for me.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Hmm, I have a fair ammount of various .30 rifle boolits cast up that should last into a good part of next year, (depending on what gun I shoot the most, I use quite a few different .30 boolits).

.45/70-I need to get busy casting!

.38-See above!

.45 Colt-I have enough to last the rest of my life, (Grand-Dads 1904 New Service, I don't shoot it a whole lot).

.45ACP-Enough for a few months.

.44mag/spl.-Into the summer.

.58 Burton boolits for rifle musket-I'm in "fat city!"

Odd-ball stuff that I don't shoot much I cast as needed, (.36&.44 black powder revolver-.54 muzzle-loader, etc).
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    I still have roughly 1000 cast, sized, and gas checked for the rifles at the moment. But it's finally cool enough in Florida to cast again so that number will rise dramatically before the winter is gone.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

My stash

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tracks View Post
    I was just reading on another post about how long a guys pile of boolits would last him. I have six Folger cans of boolits cast up in different sizes. I cast for the fun of it and not just to get stock ready. I took a whole Folgers can of 148 gr. TLWC this weekend and melted them down to make some HP. I might be loosing it but it is fun to cast and each time I get a little bit better with the procedure which makes the boolits that I cast a couple of months ago not up to my liking. I'm glad that lead can be recycled. One Folgers can would last a fair part of the summer for me.
    Since I shoot cast in my submachineguns, I have a rather sizeable stash. 9mm - 3k, 45 auto 5k, 380 3k. Revolver? 44 2k, 358156 gc 2k, 358156 plain base 3k, and various amounts of JHP's.
    How long does it last? When I get low I just do another big batch. Depends upon sizing/lubing time (Star), relaoding time (Dillon 550b) and trigger time at the range.
    That is the value of 4-6-10 cavity moulds, Star sizers and Dillon presses..........production!

Boolit Grand Master

I figure my "Stash" of cast in pounds, regardless of size, and I cast from 22 thru 58 Mini. Most of the time think I have about 200-250 lbs. Can't shoot ingots.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Most of my stash is in raw or ingot form at the moment---time is kinda scarce these day, so anything I do has to be crammed into 15-20 minute intervals. That isn't much of a casting session. BUT, if I count all the alloy that could be made into a boolit...

800 pounds WW alloy x 7000 grains per pound / 160gr. boolit average = about 35,000 bullets currently available... Guess I better bump up primers and powder a little.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

In a more or less realistic test. When I moved, I started shooting up my stash beforehand. This was probably 200 pounds of assorted stuff that was sized and lubed. Took me about 3 months to shoot and reload and shoot the most part of that.

That was shooting 250-400 rounds a week.

Then, there was the ingots and buckets of WWs to move and that took a while./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Last time I moved I left a 35 gallon drum of wheel weights in the garage where I lived. Too much trouble to haul them.

Boolit Grand Master
    ENough for a while. Always looking to enhance my raw materials.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

ADMIN

Right now I hardly shoot so my cast stash will last a long time. If I were to go shooting once a week then my stash is enough for 6 months (handgun)

Boolit Master

Need to shoot and store more.

Have several hundred pounds.

Boolit Buddy
    When I moved prior to retiring I brought with me about 3,300 pounds of range lead ingots I had horded. Damn stuff was taking up too much space. So for last two years been casting them into bullets and storing in boxes. now have about 700 pounds of bullets and 2300 pounds of ingots. Found out now the damn bullets are taking up space. and that doesn't count the bullets under the table that are lubed and sized.

But still, whenever I get a box I can put another 40 pounds or so in I go out and cast some more. Just love that casting.

Given all that I figure I have about 100,000 bullets in some form or another. should last me my shooting lifetime.

Boolit Master
    Wow, you guys are ready! If I shot a couple hundred rounds this weekend I would have to cast some more next week to repeat the fun next weekend. I guess I view casting as a means to an end, not the end itself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Wow, you guys are ready! If I shot a couple hundred rounds this weekend I would have to cast some more next week to repeat the fun next weekend. I guess I view casting as a means to an end, not the end itself.
    Likewise. I cast as the need arrises (with small reserves on the side).

Maybe I'll change my mentality this winter.

Banned

GONE! 5 shots left for deer.

Aarrgg!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    last time i moved i left a 35 gallon drum of wheel weights in the garage where i lived. Too much trouble to haul them.

Boolit Master

I usually have 500 to 600 cast on hand various calibers....and usually have 800-1000 already loaded...again in various calibers..
    my inventory of casting material , that is WW, pure lead, etc. will probably last me until I quit shooting or I die....Ive been collecting this stuff since the late 1960's,,,and been dragging it around all this time...

Boolit Master
    400 pounds of WW's 500 pounds ingots. 5000 cast 44's 2000 of them sized and lubed. 3000 cast 38/357, 2000 of them sized and lubed . Another 3000 assorted sizes, .223 cal, .308 cal,
    .379 rifle cal, .452 cal, .458 cal. A lot of those are sized and lubed. At my shooting rate and age 69 this stuff will probably last the rest of my shooting life. There may even be some left for my Son, Son-in-laws, and grand childern.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 12-03-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I really don't know so I'll have to give my best guess? I have thousands of rounds cast, sized and lubed for various calibers. I have thousands of rounds loaded for various calibers. I probably have close to three thousand pounds of ingots. I have enough to last a while.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

When we moved last I had about 100lbs of 30cal bullets cast, 550 2lb ingots of ww 150 2lb ingot of pure 10 1lb ingot of monotype.
    Also had to move 2 1000lb pure lead counterweights and about 2500-3000 lbs of raw WW.
    I guess I need to fire up the smelter......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast