Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and just don't know

New and just don't know

I am new to casting and have melted down some lead just to clean it before I do anything else and I used paraffin wax for flux and when I put the wax in it started smoking and then burst into flames. My question is "What am I doing wrong?"

Thanks in advance

Matt

Boolit Master

Not a thing; the flash point of wax is something like 300* (I think). Lead in it's liquid state is 650*-700*, depending on the alloy. While the wax is smoking/burning, stir the melt with a stick; this will bring up the gunk in the metal, and you can skim that off. Go to a second hand store and buy an old wooden-handled slotted spoon to use as a skimmer.
    Welcome to the addiction! By the way, read all the stickies; good info there.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master
    yes that is what is supposed to happen
    spin it in like said and skim
    the wax tends to stick to your spoon so don't be alarmed its supposed to do that
    have fun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Welcome, Matt.
    When stiring, be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pot to free any crud that may be stuck there. Use a wood stick to stir, scrape and flux.

Boolit Master

Not a thing Matt. When I flux with parafin I always keep some matches handy to actually set the wax on fire once it melts, then stir it into the melt (CAREFULLY.....). Make a good flux. Once it quits smoking and you've scraped the edges of the pot, skim the scum off the top and you've got a nice pot of lead!

Art

Quote Originally Posted by mattbowen View Post
    I am new to casting and have melted down some lead just to clean it before I do anything else and I used paraffin wax for flux and when I put the wax in it started smoking and then burst into flames. My question is "What am I doing wrong?"

Thanks in advance

Matt
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Thumbs up

Thanks alot guys I was wondering about it but I didn't read anything about the wax catching fire and got concerned. To skim the top I got the wife's OLD metal strainer the my 7th grandson flattened and am using it so far.

Thanks again

Matt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Welcome, Matt.
    When stiring, be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pot to free any crud that may be stuck there. Use a wood stick to stir, scrape and flux.
    Dry wood stick

Gear

I'll bet it got your attention. DRY sawdust works good for fluxing as well. Welcome to the wonderful world of lead running. Hide your wallet before you check the group buy section.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I have to be mentally prepared for that burst of flame when it ignites, or I will slosh lead over the top when I jump!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

I stir with a paint stirrer, after a few uses it sortof burns into the shape of the pot when you scrape the sides.

Boolit Master

Hi Matt. I am new to this also. I have only done three pots so far. You might want to search the term "tinsel fairy". It is hard to get in your head, just how hot 700 degrees is. Man that's hot. I read and read and read. These guys will not steer you wrong. I hope you have all the safety gear. Blind is for a long time.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

I like to flux when melt is just hot enough to stay melted. When smelting I flood with enough wax to get a complete covering of the melt then stir it vigorously in. I use both sawdust and wax as it seems to get melt cleaner. Very good advice about scraping. The weight of the lead will trap crud against sides and bottom if not released by scraping.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

I don't like the energetic way wax bursts into flame in the hot lead. I have changed to dry wood sawdust and stir with a wooden stick. It is a much calmer way to flux. Anything with carbon in it can be used to flux the lead. Wood, especially paint stirrers from the paint store, are a cheap way to get flux for the pot. ALWAYS wear long pants ( jeans are OK), shoes, heavy gloves (welder gloves from Home Depot or Lowes are good), and eye and face protection in case some lead splashes out (and it will sooner or later). I use a woodworking face sheild to protect eyes, face, and hair. The clothing should not be any synthetic that will melt or catch fire if the hot lead gets on it. Cotton is good. Casting is not especially hard but you can NEVER allow yourself to get distracted and cause a lead spill or trip over an electric cord. The three things you must pay attention to are SAFETY, SAFETY, AND SAFETY. Do not allow small people or pets in the area when you are casting. After that, just enjoy casting boolits. The most common problem seems to be that the mould is not hot enough. When it is up to heat the casting is very easy. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks again guys for the info. This is the first time I have heard of using sawdust to flux with I will have to try it. At this time I am using a two burner propane cook stove outside and I do it when I am the only one home which isn't too often with 9 grandchildren. I never wear short pants not even in the summer, a decent pair of work boots, long sleeves, buckskin gloves and eyeglass. I didn't think about a face shield but will now. there are still allot of things that I still need to get when I save up a little money. I hope to be casting for 30 cal., 357. 45LC, and 45-70. I will be hunting with most next year since deer season here starts on Aug. 15th and ends Jan.1st.

Thank again

Matt

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome! Casting boolits is prolly the most satisfying aspect of my shooting hobbies. You can take some scrap, dirty, greasy lead and melt it down. Then you can fabricate some custom boolits designed to fit your specific gun, lube them with your own special "secret" formula lube, and load them to suit your specific gun. Then you go out and shoot your custom ammo and it's better than any you have purchased before! Feeeeeels Good!

Go slow, use common sense and you can safely cast yer own custom boolits for a lifetime...

BTW; Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is a very good source of info about casting and shooting lead boolits. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...book&x=20&y=21
    My Anchor is holding fast!

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by mattbowen View Post
    Thanks again guys for the info. This is the first time I have heard of using sawdust to flux with I will have to try it. At this time I am using a two burner propane cook stove outside and I do it when I am the only one home which isn't too often with 9 grandchildren. I never wear short pants not even in the summer, a decent pair of work boots, long sleeves, buckskin gloves and eyeglass. I didn't think about a face shield but will now. there are still allot of things that I still need to get when I save up a little money. I hope to be casting for 30 cal., 357. 45LC, and 45-70. I will be hunting with most next year since deer season here starts on Aug. 15th and ends Jan.1st.

Thank again

Matt
    You sound like a man after my own heart. Common sense will go a lot further in this game than fancy duds and encasing yourself in a suit of armor. Try the paint stick or dry branch to stir and flux with. Any carbon you choose to throw in the pot will help (sawdust, leaves, wax, grease, cats, rats, elephants).

I'm surprised you didn't read anything about the wax flare up. Maybe they aren't putting that in the newer books, but it was usually mentioned in the older tomes.

Welcome aboard!

Boolit Master
    When I fnd a reject boolit, I go ahead and lube it in the lube sizer with BP lube and that little boolit make a fine flux dose for the production pot, and yes, flames are part anc parcel of taking the hair off'n yer knuckles as you scrape the sides.

prs

Bret;

Most of what I read about casting was on the net until now and I melted my first pot before I found this site. I melted down some more this afternoon and put both wax and sawdust in it then I got a LONG stick to stir it with (while it was on fire) very interesting.

Thanks again

Matt

Boolit Master
    When you put the wooden stick in the melt do it slowly in case it has absorbed any dampness. That way it wont spit at you. And I like cedar saw dust or chips because they smell better.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Welcome to the addiction, these guys won't steer you wrong, befor you know it your wife will start wondering if you have moved into your workshop... mine did
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast