Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: stupid question

Boolit Master

stupid question

I finally came up with an accurate load in my ruger super blackhawk . problem is that the 5&6TH boolit pull foward under recoil, which is affecting were the boolit goes . I have been using a 308 winchester sizing die to size my 44 brass. this was giving me a 1000th below boolit diameter for case tension. And a moderate crimp.
    Heres the question. should I size the case more , or increase the crimp .?

Boolit Master

My experience is that a good roll crimp is necessary for decent performance in the wheel guns and particularly so in 44 magnums. Using the 308 Winchester dies is a mistake IMHO.

Boolit Master
    Roll crimp as a minimun. A heavy taper crimp will hold even tighter
    Last edited by lwknight; 12-02-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Fat fingered the KB
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

You will have to taper the case on loading.
    I have a new set of .44 Mag dies for sale if you need them.
    I never roll crimped, I taper crimped. Kept the sizeing intact. The .44 will relocate the casting on firing.

I would shoot for .002 fit with a nice roll crimp. I shot some whoppers fit like this with no boolit movement. How much taper does the .308 die leave on the case?
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Size them more in the .308, and then control boolit grip with the expander .002" under boolit size. Roll crimp! Taper crimps size the boolits down. And then the case springs back (duh). You probly have the lead hardness right, and the size. Don't crimp, nor size enough to size down the boolit (watch out for this). Kind of a catch 22 maybe.....
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master
    A heavy crimp will help some. What you really need is a proper 44 mag sizer. Bullet pull is the key. The bullet should fit tight in the case. I can see the grooves in my cast bullets thru the case. It is this tight fit that gives the consistancg that you need. The crimp is sort of like the icing on the cake.

Boolit Master

Agree. A proper sizer die and also a expander die of the correct diameter with a roll crimp will result in loads that will retain bullets in cartridges that remain in the chambers after many firings.

Over the years, I've only had a problem with one .41 Magnum Ruger and this was traced to an oversize expander die. Once corrected the problem cleared up for me./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy

stupid question

You will be light years better off by obtaining a proper .44 Special die set. RCBS would be my choice. Use the .44 Special dies, as the time may come when you might like the cartridge. Just back it out a bit to load .44 Magnums. I've done it for about 45 years.

Boolit Master
    I have an rcbs 44 die set(carbide). The sizer was sizing the cases down too far(.004). Thats why I was using the 308 sizer. It would size the cases down to .432 ID then i would give it a moderate roll crimp. I may look for a steel sizer die and polish it out if need be.

Boolit Master
    i have RCBS dies in 44 mag that size my brass so much, i loose .002 of boolit diamater. I was trying a 45 ACP sizing die for my 44 mag brass, wich allowed my brass to chamber easily, but after roll crimping, i could still spin the boolit in the case with generous grip strength. I have not had any pull out in a ruger redhawk or a marlin carbine...... yet.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

Use proper dies and try the lee factory crimper.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned

Many answers are wrong. Get Hornady dies, make the boolit from WD WW's so they don't size when seated and load them. If a boolit fits through the extra crimp die, use it or roll crimp with the seat die.
    CRIMP WILL NOT SAVE YOU! You need case tension and a .432" ID is WRONG.
    It does NOT matter if a case is sized too much, it is your expander and or soft lead that is the problem. To size the brass to a .432" ID with .308 dies sounds out of touch with what a revolver needs. Most bullets are .429" to .430", where is the case tension?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with 44man on this......you're not sizing enough...or your expander plug is too big. The expander on my .44 dies (three different sets) are all .425"

It's an easy job to reduce the expander size.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Banned

If you want accuracy, CASE TENSION and proper brass temper is the key. Did someone mention that? The crimp just makes it easier to stuff them in the chamber. .001" is NOT enough tension for the .44 Magnum. I use .0025" and air-cooled wheel weights and don't experience any swaging up to 20.5 grains of 2400, beyond that I have to water-drop and change expanders to get .004" minumum tension, plus a moderate roll-crimp.

Gear