RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm about to give up Hunting

Boolit Master

I'm about to give up Hunting

Went out this morning to a different spot in the same woods.
    Stood in the same spot untill some hunters showed up outside of the woods.

One of the hunters waved to let me know he saw me, and startrd in the woods.
    I turned and watched him pass, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a deer raise-up, not 35 yards away from where I was standing. Before I could react, BANG! BANG!

I must be slippin'. This buck slips up behind me while I standing behind a big oak tree and bedded down.

I walked up to the hunter and deer and the guy says "How come you didn't see that deer? You must have slipped in here when it was asleep."
    Well maybe I did, but I don't think that was the case.
    I think it slipped in when "I" was asleep.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy

I know how you feel. I'd give up hunting, except that I'd look funny standing out in the woods without a gun. I'm sure not going to give up being out there!
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Buddy

Don't feel bad Hickory. I hunted Illinois first shotgun season for deer at ARCSP in northern IL. There is a sign in/sign out box there and a limited number of hunters are allowed to hunt and are picked by lottery. Taped on the sign in/sign out box after legal shooting time ended Saturday was a note that read "SHOTGUN LOST IF FOUND PLEASE CALL 630-XXX-XXXX". You may feel bad not seeing that deer but how in the world do you misplace the shotgun your hunting deer with???????????????????? And how bad would that suck????????????????????

2shot

Hmmmmm.....
    You can't fix stupid....!
    Everyone has to believe in something.
    I believe I'll cast more boolits!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2shot View Post
    Don't feel bad Hickory. I hunted Illinois first shotgun season for deer at ARCSP in northern IL. There is a sign in/sign out box there and a limited number of hunters are allowed to hunt and are picked by lottery. Taped on the sign in/sign out box after legal shooting time ended Saturday was a note that read "SHOTGUN LOST IF FOUND PLEASE CALL 630-XXX-XXXX". You may feel bad not seeing that deer but how in the world do you misplace the shotgun your hunting deer with???????????????????? And how bad would that suck????????????????????

2shot
    Maybe it fell off the back of the truck? Seen that happen a few times on public land.

have heard of more than one buck coming back to life and running off with the gun in the antlers when a picture was being taken! steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

In Remembrance
    I guess I will tell on myself here. When I was 13 I paid 25 bucks for a stevens single shot 12 guage with a 36 inch barrel. I was about 15 when I got ready to head for the woods and my gun wasn't in the closet, This made ne sense until I started thinking about the last squirrel I had shot a few days before. It was not completly dead so I couldn't pick it up with one hand and leaned my gun against a big oak tree. It was right where I had left it three days before. lol

Boolit Master

Did I miss something here?

-You were on stand in woods.

-Other hunters saw you, then walked right into the area you were watching?

-And then shot a deer close to you, in the area you were watching?

Not very sportsmanlike to my mind.

Fishhawk, that happened to my Grandpa once. Hes got a picture of a darn nice buck they shot. The deer even has a wild look in his eyes. After the picture was snapped, up he jumped with the gun in his rack and took off like a rocket!

They did find the gun a couple hundred yds away, but never seen the deer again.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    Maybe it fell off the back of the truck? Seen that happen a few times on public land.
    I wouldn't think so, in IL. you have to unload guns and they have to be in a carrying case before being put into a vehicle but I guess anything is possible. We also have to park in designated parking lots and the area hunted was about 500 acres with about 1/2 tillable. The parking lots are all within 1/4 mile of each other. I would think it would be easy to back track ones steps and find the gun but hey, I wouldn't walk away from my gun in the first place and if I lost it on the road I would be walking the road until I found it. There was no snow and the road is gravel with the grass shoulders cut short. Maybe it was the guy that was about 150 yards from me and took 16 (that's right 16) shots at a deer within a 2 minute period and when his buddy yelled to him "did you get anythig?" the answer was "No I missed". That's 5 reloads assuming that you started out with 3 in the gun (IL. limits shotgun deer to max 3 round capacity). Maybe this guy after missing threw his gun in the woods and couldn't find it????????

Strang this happen but I never heard of someone loosing their gun while hunting. It would sound better if the area was thousands of acres open to the public but it's rather comical seeing as to how small the hunt area is.

2shot

I think it slipped in when "I" was asleep. [/QUOTE]

At least you don't snore when you are sleeping in the stand like I do!

2shot

Two years ago I ran over my TC Omega with my truck. I leaned it against the fender flare while I was getting the key to unlock the truck. Then a buddy showed up and I was talking with him for a bit while getting out of my coveralls. I told him I was going into town for a sandwich and I would be back in about an hour. I got in started the truck backed out into the road and looked down at the passenger seat. My gun case was missing, turned around and it was on the toolbox. Got a quick disgusted feeling when I realized what happened. I got out and walked to the other side of the truck and there it was smooshed down in the mud with a tire track right across the scope. It fell off when I backed up and I couldnt see it in my mirror.

It took me more than an hour to get back that day. I went to town bought a new scope, went home cleaned it, installed new scope, and sighted it in. Took me 4 hours to get it all done. I shot a beauty of a 10 pointer with it that evening.

I felt like a real high class DA. But at least I didnt hurt the gun any.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by home in oz View Post
    Did I miss something here?

-You were on stand in woods.

-Other hunters saw you, then walked right into the area you were watching?

-And then shot a deer close to you, in the area you were watching?

Not very sportsmanlike to my mind.
    not only that but sounds as though they were shooting at you or in your direction
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance
    LOL are there as many deer on that 500 acres as people,

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    LOL are there as many deer on that 500 acres as people,
    Yep, limit is 20 hunters and IL is overrun with deer. The big problem is it's hard to get on privite land so the heard keeps growing. The SP is over 1000 acres but over 1/2 is tillable

Boolit Master

2shot
    I worked at Outdoor World when I was in school. One day a guy came in to but one of the nice fancy camo print guns. Less than a month later he came in to buy another. He set the gun down when he went to take a leak and could never find it again. I guess that camo really worked
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    Last time I had a huntin' license was '93. Don't care a thing about it no more.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Last time I had a huntin' license was '93. Don't care a thing about it no more.

Attaboy!

Boolit Master

I already have.....I will bust some squirrels though.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    Not sure wich story I should tell, the one when I woke to see a deer leaving or the one where I backed the car over my gun? Oh well, both are embarrasing so I won't tell either BTW the gun and deer both came out unscathed...