RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Star Lube Sizer Air Feed for Lube Completed & Successful

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I can't help but think the O-rings are going to come off. Your fit on the assembly is due to hand sanding? If you got lucky it might be close to being round. Probably the best solution is to purchase PN's S107, and AF107 being the HYCAR washer and the Aluminum piston. The HYCAR mounting screw and washer can be sourced locally. Better yet would be to use the aluminum piston and have (2) HYCAR seals one on each end. The top end using a fastener that would screw into the aluminum piston and also have a female thread by which to screw in the extractor rod. This combo would result in perfect seal situation. The assembly could be made of nylon for sure.

I'm not meaning to ruffle any feathers here but sometimes a step back to analyze the time and money spent on something crude does result in something more worthwhile and usable. Its better to do something once than to repeat something less than optimum.
    Consider the feathers un-ruffled , My boss had me at level 9 of 10 on the "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest Scale". I'm home now and I've dropped back to about 7.5, so all is good until tomorrow morning

I fit the O-rings by cutting the slots while the part turned on my drill press, the fit is pretty darn good. Held pressure for 2 hours without loosing any noticeable amount on my compressor's gauge.

Take care and have one on me,

AJ

Boolit Buddy
    Dang, my piston didn't work at all last night. I had the presure cranked all the way up to 80psi for a while too, and it just stopped feeding. I put the stock spring piston back in and everything worked again...

Hey AJ, wanna make me one?

Quote Originally Posted by CiDirkona View Post
    Dang, my piston didn't work at all last night. I had the presure cranked all the way up to 80psi for a while too, and it just stopped feeding. I put the stock spring piston back in and everything worked again...

Hey AJ, wanna make me one?
    I would if you lived across town.

The shipping costs would triple the cost.

I bet someone in your neighborhood would whip you one up for a cup of coffee.

PM me if you really need one and I'll figure something out.

AJ

Banned
    Received a small compressor from Menards ($55.00) for Christmas. Nice size with a small tank.

In keeping with the KISS principal I am using the factory original plunger instead of trying to

make something that will probably leak. I am using the adapter A182 from Home Depot. It

has sat pressurized and hasn't leaked a bit. I have taken over the wifes gift

wrapping bench so I can size bullets. * I used a small amount of Scotch 130C rubber splicing

tape and a small clamp to cover the weap hole in the plunger.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    robably the best solution is to purchase PN's S107, and AF107 being the HYCAR washer and the Aluminum piston. The HYCAR mounting screw and washer can be sourced locally. .
    AF107 is $12
    The matching bolt is $0.25
    As far as the HYCAR washer goes, why not use the one you already have?

This is alot of work just to save a little bit of money

Everyone is already buying a air regulator.
    The only thing that you will need to purchase now is the air cylinder and make a aluminum piston.

The air cylinder is fine thread while the standard setup is course.

I will toss you this bone
    It is manufactured by SMC and the part # is NCMB106-0600
    You can purchase it from several vendors for under $30.
    Here is a place that has it for $25.20 plus shipping. -> http://www.airlinehyd.com/VS5airline...r=ncmb106-0600

The alum piston is $12, the screw for the bottom of it is $0.25 cents. Both can be ordered directly from Magma.

You don't need to make up a extractor because the air cylinder always stays attached to the piston. I take my Air Blow attachment and push it against the bottom air attachment hole on the cylinder and use air to retract the piston.

I got about $50 in my Complete air Cylinder setup.
    Last edited by HATCH; 12-27-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Banned
    Hatch,

Took your advice and ordered the cylinder from SMC and the small parts from Magma. Thanks for the cylinder info.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    AF107 is $12
    The matching bolt is $0.25
    As far as the HYCAR washer goes, why not use the one you already have?

This is alot of work just to save a little bit of money

Everyone is already buying a air regulator.
    The only thing that you will need to purchase now is the air cylinder and make a aluminum piston.

The air cylinder is fine thread while the standard setup is course.

I will toss you this bone
    It is manufactured by SMC and the part # is NCMB106-0600
    You can purchase it from several vendors for under $30.
    Here is a place that has it for $25.20 plus shipping. -> http://www.airlinehyd.com/VS5airline...r=ncmb106-0600

The alum piston is $12, the screw for the bottom of it is $0.25 cents. Both can be ordered directly from Magma.

You don't need to make up a extractor because the air cylinder always stays attached to the piston. I take my Air Blow attachment and push it against the bottom air attachment hole on the cylinder and use air to retract the piston.

I got about $50 in my Complete air Cylinder setup.
    Any pics? Would love to see your setup.

Dave

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
    Any pics? Would love to see your setup.

Dave
    It looks just like the factory setup
    I had a picture on my phone.
    You can see the Star on the Right side of the picture.
    My bench is very messy because I am redoing it.
    I have since purchased a Roller Handle from Lathessmith. Well worth the money.

Boolit Master
    Now that is a great looking setup!! I think we have tried to duplicate the performance using just air and it works to a point, but still not perfect. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Rod

Banned
    I went the route of using the stock plunger with the hose clamp and rubberized tape over the weap hole in the cylinder and it works fine. With home made bullet lube made with alox, beeswax, and some candle wax I run about 30-35lbs pressure and it works fine. I lubed about 1000 200gr 452460 from a stick of my lube. The only thing I don't like is having to remove the hose clamp in order to allow the stock piston/plunger assy to decend into the cylinder and then putting it back on again. That is my only reason in ordering the small parts from Magma and the cylinder from SMC. I think that without trying to re-invent the wheel that Troy's solution is a logical and cost effective one. Personal observation is that air assisted is the way to go when lubing bullets. I end up with a clean fill in the lube grooves with nothing on the rest of the bullet. I cannot make the same claim when using the original hand operated pressure setup. Never was able to get the pressure quite right when turing the screw either I turned it too far forcing too much lube out or not far enough resulting in lube groves that weren't filled all the way.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    It looks just like the factory setup
    I had a picture on my phone.
    You can see the Star on the Right side of the picture.
    My bench is very messy because I am redoing it.
    I have since purchased a Roller Handle from Lathessmith. Well worth the money.]
    Thanks for sharing the pic. Looks great!

Dave

Boolit Bub
    "The air cylinder is fine thread while the standard setup is course. "

HATCH, so the threads on the cylinder and S109 are not the same? If I buy the cylinder from the link you posted and the AF107 and AF108 from Magma is exactly like the factory set up?

ADMIN

If you look at this link
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/DrugRunR/air.jpg

S109 matches the air cylinder and matches the manual setup (s110)

What I was saying that is different is the standard (non-air) setup is coarse thread (part #'s S131, and the stud that sticks out of the spring assembly s133?). The threads on the air cylinder ROD (not the body) are fine thread. Part # AF107 is threaded all the way thru with fine thread and AF108 is fine thread as well.
    Sorry I am not better at explaining.

If you purchase the Air Cylinder and then purchase part #'s AF107 and AF108 then you will be set. You will also need a Regulator and the assorted fittings to attach it.

Boolit Bub
    That makes sense thanks for taking the time.

Boolit Master
    I went out and picked up an air cylinder from Graingers for $34.00, bought the piston and screw from Magma for $12.50. I used the assortment of fittings and air connectors and regulator from my home made air system and assembled it tonight. Wow, it works perfectly. I sized 1,000 357's in under an hour just loping along and never made any adjustments after setting the temperature to warm and the pressure to 35 lbs. for carnuba red. The home made system worked O.K. , but this is really smooth. If your time isn't worth anything or you just like sourcing out the parts and putting it together yourself, it cost about $80-85 to do. For another $15 Magma sells it ready to go. Personally, I enjoyed messing around with making an air system [that does work] but I ended up just duplicating the original system. Good luck on whatever you do!! Rod

Banned
    Just received the parts I had on order from Magma.

1) AF107 $12.25 Piston

1) AF108 $.20 mounting screw

1)S107 $7.70 Hycar lube follower AKA high class seal

1)S130 $2.00 Pressure spring washer

Total $22.15 plus $6. 56 shipping

The pressure washer is nothing more than a lock washer which could have been purchased from a local hardware store for less than .20

I could have made and or purchased the parts at a fraction of the cost. What a waste of money.

ADMIN

you only need AF108 and AF107 from magma.
    You already have S130 and S107 because that is included with the manual setup.
    The Air Cylinder can be purchased for Around $30 shipped.
    Total investment should be around $55 or so not including the Regulator.
    Harbor Freight has some for like 10.

The advantage to doing it this way is that you can buy the parts when you have the cash and then assemble once you have everything.
    Yes alternately you can spend the $100

Banned
    Just pointing out the high price of the parts. You are correct as you do not need to order all the parts like I did. With the exception of the piston everything can be sourced locally.

ADMIN

I totally understand. If you had a lathe and a 5/16 fine thread tap you could make the Bushing in under a 1/2 hr of time. Hell you could make 3 in that time. (I am guessing the thread size)

Turn some round stock to .80 in diameter, drill a hole, thread the hole, then part it out in 1 inch pieces.

Banned
    The Piston is pretty crude its 1" bar that hasn't been turned but crudely cut off to 1.080 The length isn't important + or - .100 is close enough. Yes, I have access to a lathe and know how to run it. The seal measures about 1.085 dia with my calipers. Don't have a mic handy right now. I think I could make a better setup out of nylon machined for several O' rings.

I'm guessing the thread is 5/16-32

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast