Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plans for a bullet trap-with pictures***Looking for opinions***

Jailer, Is there any chance of re-posting the original images from the first post?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Jailer, Is there any chance of re-posting the original images from the first post?
    Done. They were just concept drawings and shouldn't be used for scale on anything.
    You can read all the stuff online, in the magazines and in books and buy into the hypothesis but if you don't actually load up and test them then you know nothing until you do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    The opening is 2'x2'. The sides are 2'x4' 1/4 AR400 steel. Top and bottom are 1/4 mild steel. After shooting it a bit I could have saved a bit of money and used mild steel for the whole thing. So far it's just had pistol rounds shot into it but I plan on trying 45-70 and 300 blk soon.
    I'd be interested to know what it is capable of taking. (Not that I want you to put a hole in yours to find out). I'd like to build one that could take .30-06 or so. What is the chamber made of? Its kinda hard to tell the diameter from the pics and drawings. Do you have a weight of the total package or at least a guesstimate? I just happen to have an old trailer frame that I've been looking for something to do with and this seems perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Done. They were just concept drawings and shouldn't be used for scale on anything.
    Outstanding, thanks a bunch. Tim.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    I'd be interested to know what it is capable of taking. (Not that I want you to put a hole in yours to find out). I'd like to build one that could take .30-06 or so. What is the chamber made of? Its kinda hard to tell the diameter from the pics and drawings. Do you have a weight of the total package or at least a guesstimate? I just happen to have an old trailer frame that I've been looking for something to do with and this seems perfect.
    Well I won't be shooting any rifle rounds through it. The limiting factor is going to be the strength of the pipe. The pipe is 8 inch gas main so it's plenty strong but I don't want to ruin it with rifle hits. A buddy stopped over yesterday and 9mm ball ammo does dent the pipe on a direct hit. Cast bullets just disintegrate on a direct hit. I may reinforce the back of the pipe just to be safe but pistol rounds shouldn't be a problem even if I don't. If I had to guess it's somewhere around 800 lbs or so in weight.
    You can read all the stuff online, in the magazines and in books and buy into the hypothesis but if you don't actually load up and test them then you know nothing until you do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Better late than never.

I wound up making a simple 45 deg one that is 8 foot tall and 16 feet wide.

It works for my purposes but is not as easy to recover lead from as your design.
    I wish you were my next door neighbor... you make some fun stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    There are so many threads on making traps, I chose to add to this one.
    At the club we put 4 traps in place, strictly for handgun and 22RF rounds. These saw, over the past year, limited use (5 months) due to our moving, but even with that limited use I was able to melt down 113# of ingots. The opening was sized to accommodate a 21"x24" target. 3/8" plate was used and the cylindrical pipe is 8" in dia. with a 1 1/2" slot. The slot I would open to 2". We found that 1/4" plate will dimple, not noticeable but it can be felt. The 'catch bucket' needs to be tight up against the bottom for max. collectionClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	275328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	275329.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Bub
    Way to recycle!

Banned
    Wish I could shoot on y property nice job OP, you'll probably find that you will shoot more. Please remember that the dust from emptying the lead is toxic.

We needed portable traps so my shooting buddy made 2 of these traps and I made the legs/base. this one is 1/4 steel and has survived Tokarev to 44 mag.

We'll shoot over 5# of lead [each] per outing.

It goes against the grain to waste lead so after a little experimenting I developed 2 different traps that would work with 500 grain 45/70 boolits.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...70-boolit-trap

Banned

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	036.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	275828 this is mine. Kind of simular to what your doing

Quote Originally Posted by scrapcan View Post
    everything I have read says that the outside slope should come in on the tangent to the circle, pretty close to what you have. It can take a while for the spin down to occur in the cylinder. I also read somewhere that it is better to have the cylinder horizontal to the ground versus the vertical position.

You will be able to tell us if it works though.
    All the traps I have seen and cleaned out are horizontal as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Wish I could shoot on y property nice job OP, you'll probably find that you will shoot more. Please remember that the dust from emptying the lead is toxic.

We needed portable traps so my shooting buddy made 2 of these traps and I made the legs/base. this one is 1/4 steel and has survived Tokarev to 44 mag.

We'll shoot over 5# of lead [each] per outing.

It goes against the grain to waste lead so after a little experimenting I developed 2 different traps that would work with 500 grain 45/70 boolits.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...70-boolit-trap
    mine even held up to 223 243 and o6 with soft nosed bullets. 06 put dents in it. 300 and 7 mags put much bigger dents and barnes x bullets put HOLES.

Moderator Emeritus

M-Tecs thanks for that video.

Boolit Master
    @conditor22 love the portable version.

Design question for all, if the tube is the weak part, are the plates positioned so there is no direct path into the tube?

Banned
    Q- are the plates positioned so there is no direct path into the tube?
    In mine --- yes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123