RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian Martini Cadet .357

Boolit Buddy

bigjohn

My conversion resulted from a mate giving me an action followed by another friend giving me a .30 caliber target barrel which allegedly was worn out. I used a D bit to cut the chamber, threaded and thinned down the barrel . Shortened it to about 18" and bushed the firing pin hole to prevent the primer extruding into it which sometimes happens with Martini Cadet conversions. This results in the action jamming shut as the breechblock cannot lower with primer metal protruding into the firing pin hole.
    Developing loads for a Cadet conversion is fairly easy. The action is a very strong little number let down by a lack of mechanical advantage in the extraction process. Knowing this ,I began by using an Australian powder AR 2207 which is about equivalent to IMR 4198 . I kept upping the charge , commencing at about 13 grains , until cases began to stick . Ended up using 16.5 grains of 2207 behind a 160 grain GC cast boolit for a velocity of 1650 fps as measured by the chrony.
    Best group so far at 100 yds is 1.5"
    Heath

Boolit Master

What is the 30/357? A necked down 357 cartridge to 30 cal. It sounds like it might be close to the 30 Herret which is a chopped and channeled 30-30. Sounds like it would be fun though. Who am I kidding they are all fun.

Bob

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Honestly if the extractor hasnt been altered from the orig 310 I would go for say 32 H&R magnum with a .308 bore and a .309 throat, on a 1/10 to 1/14 twist .308 barrel.

I have one that needs to be done up into something, I bought a snap rimless extractor but I really think after some thought I'm gonna make it a rimmed setup. if somebody wants a rimiless extractor I could hook them up

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    Who makes a stock for the Cadet? If there were and "off the shelf" option I would go that way. I just assumed that since it wasn't exactly a popular unit in this country that parts would be difficult to find and so was thinking of ways to "scrounge up" something to make it work. If there is an off the shelf unit that would be the way to go!

I will probably go the .357 Magnum route. I am not a wildcat person-simple is better and if I need something else....I'll grab a different rifle. This is just going to be a fun gun, plinker etc.....I just want to put an old action back into service and make it useful in some way.

Boolit Master

Lawyerman,
    It is no problem finding a stock for the Cadet. Treebone makes them. If you go to martinihenry.com there is a resource list there that lists many stock makers and gunsmiths that work on the Martinis and Cadets and parts suppliers.

Bob

Boolit Master

When I was a kid I remember

ALL Martini Cadet ads on the inside cover of the Putdoor Life Magazines.

Dang they were $9.95 for 310, and a whopping $12.95 for the 357 Mag and other calibers offered all the way to 32 Winchester Special. #@ Win Spl may have been a bit more.

Finally got one in a trade of some Cadet parts I had on hand(planned to build one around the lever and bolt and attached parts someone gave me) and 75 bucks.

Sold to me buy a friend of the builder a gunsmith/shooter of cast bollit gun and target guns.

Barrel is a big ol 308 target rifle barrel that he wore out on highpower.

First thought it was a 30X357 Max, bought a set of dies from Jim Rock and

Then the 30X221 rimmed . . . .

It is none of those, but rather a 30X221 Long-Neck, Long Rimmed,

One can make the brass with 30X221 dies and Max brass.

Glad he sent 6 pieces of brass for me to start building around . . .

Have to get back with that one with boolits for FUN shooting
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

When I was a kid I remember

ALL Martini Cadet ads on the inside cover of the Putdoor Life Magazines.

Dang they were $9.95 for 310, and a whopping $12.95 for the 357 Mag and other calibers offered all the way to 32 Winchester Special. #@ Win Spl may have been a bit more.

Finally got one in a trade of some Cadet parts I had on hand(planned to build one around the lever and bolt and attached parts someone gave me) and 75 bucks.

Sold to me buy a friend of the builder a gunsmith/shooter of cast bollit gun and target guns.

Barrel is a big ol 308 target rifle barrel that he wore out on highpower.

First thought it was a 30X357 Max, bought a set of dies from Jim Rock and

Then the 30X221 rimmed . . . .

It is none of those, but rather a 30X221 Long-Neck, Long Rimmed,

One can make the brass with 30X221 dies and Max brass.

Glad he sent 6 pieces of brass for me to start building around . . .

Have to get back with that one with boolits for FUN shooting
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12