Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: postal match for 22cal boolits only

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Bullshop Junior & ManleyJt

please post what you found that didn’t work so good

a failure is only so, if you fail to learn from it

I picked up a 22-250 but have not started a campaign with it…yet
    Yep like what kind of rifle is it? Twist. length of boolit, how fast are you trying to push it? Powder? Primer? There would be several people that would help you shoot better if they just knew where to start!

I thought that after this is all over said and done that maybe start a new thread with some of the things that I was doing and not doing along with some observations and questions. That way everyone interested could post whatever they thought on the subject.

Richard

I have a Stevens 200 action with a Savage model 11 barrel on it. I think it has a 1/14" twist.

I tried a few powers in it, and just was not able to get it to work very well. With jacketed, this gun won't shoot it's best until it is right at the ragged edge on the top end. I think the problem was, I was not getting the pressure up enough for the gun to like it, because the boolits where starting to fail. The best results I got where with a case full of Trailboss, but it was not consistent.

Pretty much, my opinion with the 22/250 now is that I got it for screaming jacketed bullets at over 4000 FPS, and it is just not a good choice for cast. I think is I spent enough time with it, I could get to shoot good, but I didn't get it for that.

Boolit Master

I will get the info up on loadings when I get a chance. Rifle is a Santa Barbara Commercial 98 action, I will have to look up the barrel brand. It is 1:14 twist, I believe it is 26 inches in length. It also likes to run on the top end. It shoots factory rem 55 gr ammo under an inch any day at 100yds. The barrel is clean there is no copper or carbon fouling.

All bullets tried were sized 225. Alloy is 9lbs ww to 1lb lino. Only inspected for obvious rejects and major weight issues. I am sure more vigorous inspection and sorting will help, but bores a bit larger are much more fun to cast for.

I tried BAC, 2500+, Carnuba Red, and LBT Blue Soft for lubes.

All loaded in Win brass. No fillers.

Primers used were old lots of speer large rifle military primers ( have been stored well) and winchester LR ( new lot from just after the primer scare). I may be having a primer issue as I have a 7mmo6 that has been doing some weird stuff. I have some federal BR primers to try in both rifles.

I was trying for 2200 to 2400 fps. Not sure that was the best choice.

More to come.

Boolit Master
    I have a question about all the 22 cal cast bullets. Is there really enough lube in the Lube groves to keep the bullets from leading?
    I usually use FWFL in 30cal, 7mm. So I probably will use it also in the 22.
    Kevin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I have a question about all the 22 cal cast bullets. Is there really enough lube in the Lube groves to keep the bullets from leading?
    I usually use FWFL in 30cal, 7mm. So I probably will use it also in the 22.
    Kevin
    I was thinking that maybe I have too much lube on mine. I suppose that it would depend on the condition of your individual barrel. Seemed to me toward the end of my shooting session, 50 rounds with no cleaning, I was starting to get a lot of fliers. Could be too much lube? Maybe need to clean every 15 to 20 rounds? Maybe the barrel is just too slick? The rifle that I was shooting has been shot a lot just guessing 5000 to 8000 rounds? I lost track about 20 years ago. At no time did I find any hint of lead in the bore but I wasn't trying to push it very fast, just fast enough to be accurate. This old rifle, I bought it in 1972 just amazes me on how well it will shoot jacket ammo as long as I don't go over a 55 grain Spitzer. Anything from 40 grain up to 55 grain with any reasonable powder charge just shoots extremely well.

I see that above some people are having trouble with the 22-250. I had one before this Sako and shot cast in it seemed to shoot pretty well at the time. I was using the Lyman 225462 with Unique and sometimes 2400, don't remember the powder charges or brand of lube (probably Lyman). I didn't try to push it fast either mostly small game stuff and plinking. Fun and cheap! That was a Remington 700 with a 14 inch twist.

There is a lot to learn here for everybody just hope that this thread keeps going and other people will jump in and write about their experiences.

Richard

Boolit Master
    Richard
    I have found that at times the barrel will need cleaning at shorter intervals not due to too much lube but due to the powder being used being burned at a lower pressure than is optimal for a clean burn. Some powders especially some ball powders will leave plenty of hard fouling that seem difficult to see when looking through the barrel. A visual inspection through the barrel even with good light may look smooth and shiny but still have the driving side of the lands badly fouled.
    Kevin
    Plenty of lube there. Some of us even leave some of the grooves unfilled.

Boolit Master
    I will give a grace period until the 15th for all targets to arrive.
    After that I will put all the names of all that entered into a hat and draw for the prizes.
    I will give choice of prizes in the order the names are drawn, first drawn gets first choice and so on until prizes are gone. It seems not right to put my name in so I will leave it out. So at this point I think we have more prizes than entries.

Banned

How much is the cold temp having an effect on the brand/mix of lube?

Boolit Master
    Pat you surely bring up a good point. I had to shoot this match in the -20s and -30s and I can say absolutely for certain that I can shoot better and more consistant groups in summer than in winter. Even so I think we turned in respectable results.
    So if you guys will spot me say .100" for the handicap I will be looking perty good, HA!
    I was testing a new lube today without bees wax. It did extremely well in the cold about -10 to -15 today. I plan on making two formula of this lube. One will be soft for no heat lube sizers and the other hard and not tacky requiring heat to flow. So far this is looking very good and the reason for it is directly related to your question.
    I had trouble with the new 221 barrel getting wild after about 100 shots without cleaning. Today when I cleaned it I found it was badly fouled and took a lot of cleaning. There was no lead but only what looked like powder fouling or possibly lube fouling as well. After about 50 shots today with the new lube things were still looking good but I think I was just beginning to get to the point of fouling trouble again. The flyers were not as bad but beginning to show up. If I had continued to shoot I think they would have continued to open up. Next test is to see if it cleans up easier than with the speen green lube. In all fairness though I didnt burn the same typ powder and I think that is the big issue with the fouling. Powders like WC 680 in the 221 case when fired at well below the optimum burn pressure just seem to leave the tyoe of hard fouling that degrades accuracy. Other powders in about the same burn rate like 4227 seem to not foul as badly at sub optimum pressure but instead leave partially burned powder kernals in the barrel. I am rambling, sorry.

Boolit Master
    Bullshop, keep rambling - it's the way we learn the little tips and tricks, and things to get us thinkin', that would never get posted otherwise.

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

I like the rambling too Bullshop never know when a tidbit of info sneaks out, "Huum! never thought about that one" type deal. You could be right about the powder fouling, looks clean after shooting but it is a small diameter barrel and the rifling has to be getting pretty thin. Wouldn't take much fouling to change the internal dynamics of the bore and load.

As for cold weather shooting I'm amazied that you get that good of accuracy in thse kind of temperatures. I ain't shoot'n below 32*F just against my religion.

Richard

Boolit Master

great info thanks. I intend to keep going when I have the time (maybe sneak a few targets in under the wire).

Boolit Master
    I just added the results of two more contestants. I am trying to keep them all in the same post so edited them into the one one page 8.

I only have 5 pages

Boolit Master
    bah, i ordered my new lyman 45 piston 10 days or so ago, it was just now shipped.

Boolit Master
    Is anyone besides Jr. not getting all the pages? There are a total of 10 pages and the results are on page 8.

Boolit Buddy
    Bullshop I have 5 pages but that's cuz I have my settings set for 40 posts per page instead of 20

So the results are on page 4 post 154

my targets are in the mail this was a very fun challenge.

Boolit Master

I tried again this past weekend. rifle was and is a commercial mauser 98, with a shilen or douglas barrel (I think as it came to me from a benchrester that never installed it) with 1 in 14 twist and 26 inch length. light or standard varmit contour.

using winchester and remington brass, federal 210 primer. Shot at 100 yds in snowing, but no wind conditions. Very pleasant except heavy snow flurries made it hard to see through scope at times.

lyman 225438, gator check, and lbt blue soft lube. All shot from clean barrel, jacketed loads shot after cast.

10 gr unique, large groups > 4 inches
    2400 and 4227 various loadings gave about the same.

one load with 4350 and a Sierra 55gr Spiter gave .5 to .75 inch groups. Factory Remington 55 grn PSP green box ( only had 3 rounds left) went into just under .5 inch. A second jacketed loading with 4198 was horrible at 6 to 8 inches at same distance, this may have been due to barrel heating or just not a good load. I saved 10 to try at another time.

My quest will continue.

No targets to send as I am too embarrassed to send what I have.
    Last edited by scrapcan; 03-11-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    I received a second set of targets from stubshaft and scored them today.
    He shot a .424" average with a 22 K hornet Encore.
    That is one good shooting hornet!
    Anyone wanting to see the particulars it is posted with all the others on page 8.

Boolit Master

Whew!!!!!