Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: postal match for 22cal boolits only

Boolit Master

postal match for 22cal boolits only

I recently asked for help with a Ruger 22 hornet that would not shoot well. From all the responses I got I can see that there is lots of experiance here with the hornet. I have also noticed lots of interest in any new custom 22 cal mold designs.
    I have been so disappointed with the level of participation in postal matches in the recent past that I have been trying to think of a way to get more folks to play.
    I think one of the reasons for poor turn out is the use of 10 shot groups. It can be so frustrating to have a lovely little 9 shot cluster and one of ten three inches away.
    I would say that about 99% of my loading either directly or indirectly will be purpose built with some type of hunting application in mind.
    Since I rarely get 10 shots at an animal I am hunting I am thinking the target should more reflect what we may see in a hunting situation.
    With that in mind what I propose for a course of fire is 10 shots but on 4 different targets. Three targets would get 3 shots each for group and one target would get just one shot for closest to center. The three three shot targets would get averaged for one score.
    I think it would be best to shoot at 100 yards because 50 yards or less will make scoring too difficult.
    I hope this will encourage more folks to try in a postal match this time.
    I would like to run this for 22's only. If it goes well maybe then we could do the same with no caliber restriction in another match.
    So its any 22 cal center fire shooting boolits, any weight rifle or pistol, any sight, any position, to be fired at 100 yards shooting three targets with three shots each for group and one target with one shot for closest to center.
    I propose it to run through February and end March 1.
    I know it will be hard or impossible for some folks to do this through the winter but well hay we have to get through winter anyway and if this does well we can start another in March.
    Lets have a show of hand and see if we have enough interest. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Boolit Master
    This sounds like fun. I like the 22 cast. As far as targets go is it our choice to use what ever we have on hand or do you want everyone to use the same target....Terry

Boolit Master
    Makes no difference as long as there is some way to find center for the target that gets one shot for center. A square might be easier than a circle. You can even measure your own target if you want, no matter.
    The thing I am looking for hear is hunting accuracy and all the details of the load.
    I got lots of input read that tip to get my hornet to shoot from a Ruger I am having trouble with.
    That made me wonder how many such tips for tweaking accuracy we might get on a 22 only match. I guess I didn't add that I would like all load data and tweak tips to accompany each target entry. Also if you have more than one 22 CF enter for each cartridge or gun. We might all learn something about our 22's.

Boolit Master

I would be interested I have a new Encore .223 that I have been wanting to shoot some bullits in but haven't got around to it yet. Also have a older Sako in 222 mag that I have shot cast in the past and shot pretty well seemed like at the time.

And I promise to enter this one this time maybe.

Boolit Master
    That's two. This could really get interesting if we get enough people to shoot it.
    How about instead of three targets for group and one for center would it be better to go with three for each? Then we could combine the average of both the group targets and the closest to center targets for one score. We could also have honorable mention for the smallest of each.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    That's two. This could really get interesting if we get enough people to shoot it.
    How about instead of three targets for group and one for center would it be better to go with three for each? Then we could combine the average of both the group targets and the closest to center targets for one score. We could also have honorable mention for the smallest of each.
    Slightly confussed by this one do you mean to shoot three groups for measure and then shoot three shots at the last target for closest to center then average those three shots?

Looks like I need to get to casting some of those itty-bitty boolets really not that hard to do after you get the right mind set. Just got to make sure the moon is in the right place and the planets are properly lined up, I prefer a south wind with a little cloud cover too.

Boolit Master
    No no what I mean is a total of 6 targets. Three targets get three shots each for group and three targets get 1 shot each for closest to center.
    Any other hornet shooters or any 22 cal boolit shooters want to join in the fun?

Boolit Master
    When would this match be running? starting in Feb and ending the first of March?

I'd like to, but can't think of anything I might shoot in the match.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

I may give my heavy barrel 12 twist AR a run at this.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Well it is still just an idea that has not yet been finalised.
    If we get enough sicntwisted (22 casters) minds together and agree on a course of fire lets go for it. Anytime from now until 3/1/11. Six targets total, three targets with three shots each for group and three targets with one shot each for center.
    Sound OK? What yall think?
    I was considering allowing 243cal and up to 257 cal and call it a small bore match since we weren't getting much interest with just 22's
    If yes I think cutting off at 25 cal keeps it in the small bore class but going up to 264 would include lots of milsurp guns that I dont consider small bore.
    Agree? How about some votes or something?

Boolit Master

Course of fire sounds good to me, I would like to see it stay at .22 cal myself but if you feel like you need to allow 243 and 257's thats fine too. Think that 257 should be tops myself.
    If you do allow the bigger cals would you then have to measure to the center of the boolit holes to keep everything even?

Cleaned up my 225415 mold the other day but haven't got the nerve to do it yet, maybe the little SOB wiil be nicer to me that it was the last time.

Boolit Master
    6 targets like you said sounds good to me. I would prefer 22 cast only....Terry

Boolit Master
    Can we make it 100 yards for optical sights and 50 for open sights or something like that?

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Postal match of the people, by the people, and for the people so unless someone complains lets stay at 22's only.
    I never thought about iron sights but I see no reason why there shouldn't be a 50 yard class for those as well.
    rhbrink
    Cast and ye shall overcome.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Postal match of the people, by the people, and for the people so unless someone complains lets stay at 22's only.
    I never thought about iron sights but I see no reason why there shouldn't be a 50 yard class for those as well.
    rhbrink
    Cast and ye shall overcome.

+1 on 22's only and a class for iron site 50 yard.

I'd use Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet.
    I have yet to load some of My own cast in 22 hornet.
    I have everything necesary, just haven't done it yet.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    JonB in Glencoe
    Well by golly this may be just the thing to push you over the top and put those tools and that nifty little hornet to work.
    I am working on a trade for one of those lovely little Browning micro medallions in 22 hornet. I sure hope that works out. If so I will most likely use that or maybe a BRNO ZBK 10 ( I think thats what it is) single shot. It has a heavy trigger pull but it does shoot boolits really well.

Boolit Master
    Sweet, unless I sell my stevens hornet between now and then or acquire something else, it'll probably get called on.

Boolit Master

Ok I have a m98 that has a 22-250 barrel on it at the moment and a 308 win barrel to put on it. Maybe I should try it for this match before I stand the barrel in the corner. I am sure i will not be a good competitor, but if you need participants, what the heck.

If it is a go count me in. Good thing we have until march 1, We might have a non windy day between now and then!

Boolit Master
    Looks like we have enough to go for it. More than likely will pick up more along the way too.
    What I most want to see with this is with each entry I would like detail of the loading procedure to the most minute degree. Things like boolit alloy, diameter, lube, case, powder, type of dies, sizing, and any secret quirks anyone has come up with to improve accuracy. I see this as a sharing of knowledge as much as a competition.
    Manleyjt
    When your done with that 22/250 barrel I might be interested in trading you out of it, especially if you win, hahaha!

Boolit Master

Dan,

I will trade you the barrel for your corbin dies, oh wait if i did I would have no need for the dies.

I hope I can even get close to the top of the heap, sometimes I am the guy that helps to make sure their is entry fee paid to pay the winners!

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast