MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oldest gun you have hunted with?

Boolit Grand Master

Original Burnside Carbine and A W. Scott M/L shotgun in the past. Currently a 1898 Krag and a Diana 12 bore shotgun.

Boolit Master
    I have hunted with my 1903 Springfield built in September 1909, still as issued. I havent taken anything with it yet, hopefully and antelope or mule deer will fall to it in the future.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

This is one cool thread.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Model 1886 made in 92 with RD's 350 grain boolit.

Unfortunately no one has volunteered to help me test that boolit at 1100 fps.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

My grandfather's Model 12 Winchester 20 gauge.

He bought it new when it first came out.

I am unsure what year that was.

This year I used my Grandpas 1903 Springfield thats been sporterized. He died when I was about 4, so this gun aint killed anything in about 36 years.

I loaded her up with cast 180gr FN 50/50 boolits and killed a nice doe at about 120 yards. Its been a while since I shot an animal with open sites, but its fun. My first cst boolit kill, but I dont think I'll ever go back to condom bullets again. Whats the point?

I dont have a second oldest gun yet cause everything else was all shot with jacketed and I'm trying to forget that time of my life.

:takinWiz:jacketed bullets

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    M91 Mosin Nagant. Not a 91/30 an actual 91 that was reconfigured by the Finns. It is a New England Westinghouse. Date of 1915 on ring. Killed 2 deer with it. First 2 ever. 150gr. Speer Hot-Cor, over 52gr. IMR 4350.
    OOOOhhh....NICE! I envy you. Love the old MNs.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    1899 krag carbine i killed a 8point with using cast bullits. i have used a bsa enfield dated 1918 with the same cast bullit as the krag.

i have also carried my 1871 rollingblock in 50-70 but have not shot anything with it yet.

Boolit Buddy
    1871 mauser carbine, rechambered in 45/60, (shortened 45/70 Fire formed) hard hitter
    with 400 gr boolets and 27 grs 4198.

Boolit Bub
    A little "drinking town with a fishing problem" somewhere in Northeastern Galveston County, Texas
    #1 - Oldest gun I ever hunted with: (many, many, many years ago,) an 1891 Argentine Mauser 7.65x53 - not exactly the best choice for East Texas Piney Woods (was like trying to carry a canoe through the woods), but it was all I had at the time.

#2 - Big age difference in what I hunt with now. My 'go-to' guns are: a Marlin 336C in 30-30, bought in 1980 for hunting in heavy brush. For open fields / longer range hunting I reach for my 1997 Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 Springfield.
    After every act of terror we are told we should not judge all Muslims based on the actions of a few.

Isn't it time the 80 million LAW-ABIDING gun owners in America be given the same consideration? ?

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    1886 Winchester in 45-90 born on date of 1892. Belonged to my great-grandfather. Still makes meat!!

Tom

Boolit Mold
    Oldest gun is my Marlin model 1893 made in 1895 chambered in .38-55. First shot I took with this gun hit the target dead center at 100 yards.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Mauser 98 from the 40's. A youngun to most of the others. Interesting thread!

Boolit Bub
    A little "drinking town with a fishing problem" somewhere in Northeastern Galveston County, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    This is one cool thread.
    I agree. I sit here reading all these posts and can see all the members enjoying fond memories of treasures handed down over the years. Makes me a bit envious - my grand-dad was gone before I was a twinkle in my daddy's eye, and the only two firearms my dad ever owned (a snub-nosed .38 and a Luger P-08) were stolen in a home burglary when I was very young. Hoping to change all that with my sons though. Thanks for sharing.

Ken
    After every act of terror we are told we should not judge all Muslims based on the actions of a few.

Isn't it time the 80 million LAW-ABIDING gun owners in America be given the same consideration? ?

Boolit Master

a late 30's vintage 30-30 model 94.....I remember I missed my first deer with that rifle, too much bullet drop which I didn't compensate for correctly.

A first year of production S&W Model of 1899 Military and Police, .38 Special. It does a right nice job on vermin and small game on those days that the lighting is good and I can actually SEE those microscopic fine sights.
    Glen

In Remembrance
    A model 99 300 savage born in 1932. It was not born a 300 though, I have always assumed it started life as a 30/30, but it has been x'd out. This has the cartridge counter, I always thought it would be real interested if there was a game counter instead.

I have a newer rifle. A win 94 30/30 made in 53, but usually just use it for plinking.

Boolit Bub
    Mod 1891 Arg mauser, Made 1892. Sporterzed to a carbine length.
    A5 sweet 16 mfg 1949.
    Both are my 'go to' guns.

Boolit Master
    M1867 Danish rolling block manufactured in 1883. Or my M81 Vetterlli in 41 Swiss converted to CF.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Exact same as Larry: Model 1884 TD 45-70 made in '86. Shot at a fox; missed by a mile; went home feeling like an idiot; never shot that thing again at anything living.

Went deer hunting several years in a row with a 760 pump; 300 savage; 30-06. Didn't see anything at all during those times. Never went hunting for anything since high school (1959) because of complete lack of interest.

Now speaking about birds. That is a different story. Rifle shots in spoofing territory, and wondered how and
    why I missed. That is when Bench Rest stuff became my thing. Oh, I did find out why over a four year period, and that's when my inability to read conditions became evident. Factual, even today. I need at least one sighter round. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 11-30-2010 at 07:23 PM.
    felix