RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a reason not to buy a savage

Boolit Master

I'll buy another Savage when they start making the *original* Model 99 action again..................

NO reason not to buy a Savage, I've got a couple but haven't bought any since the prices creeped up over $500 --- they *used* to be inexpensive. I have a Savage 10FCM Scout rifle in .308 that shoots really well.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Now you "need" a second barrel and barrel nut. Weld the barrel nuts to the barrel after headspaced so it can be switched out in minutes. Could even get another bolt head to switch case head sizes if you wanted.
    I have an old 110CL (left hand) from the late 60's 30-06 that shoots as well if not better with cast thanwith jacketed.
    This rifle has a detachable mag and a smooth barrel nut with a spanner wrench hole on the bottom, like the current fancy woodstocked detachable magazine Savage.

Boolit Master
    There are those that might use loctite for a barrel nut ..... but I just use my gauges.

Why buy a Savage ....... ?

Freedom!

For just over a year, I have been busy over at savageshooters.com ........ I've got two 110's and a PASAL of barrels.

My original 7mm Rem mag ended up a long range SS bull barreled .25-06!

My bare SS 110 receiver is currently as a .338-06!

Freedom!

Both actions wear Savage three screw triggers! At the going rate of 25-30 bucks used those triggers are the best for money of anything out there.

The custom barrel market is growing as well.

Recently, McGowen began offering ready to go nutted barrels for Rem 700's ...... right along with barrels made for Savage rifles.

Three 44s

Midway has Adams&Bennet barrel for several calibers at $135. The barrel nut wrench $35. Not bad to do the rebarrle yourself.
    I just bought a Stevens 200 in 270 Winchester. Haven't shot it much 12 rounds to sight it in. Buy the time I got it close I was shivering so bad my teeth chattered. A cold day. But even then the groups were less than two inches.
    I think with a bit of load work I can get better. And try a warmer day. Numb fingers don't shoot well.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Anybody seen those Savage Edges? They are way cheap out here.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Can give you a reason to buy one. They flat out shoot. Currently own a .223 and it will shoot 3 shots under a half of inch constantly as long as I do my part. Used to own a 300 Win Mag and it was the most accurate out of the box medium bore hunting rifle I've ever owned.

Boolit Bub
    hope to have it up and running this weekend. the recommended 50 round break in procedure will probably take a few days. i'm sure i will end up putting a few boxes of premium thru it after that just to see what it will do. I have yet to tool up for reloading, but will soon.

Boolit Bub
    i had a conversation with a guy at work. he said to buy a 700, put this barrel on it, put that trigger in it and mount it to this stock, I asked him why i should spend $700 on a bolt and receiver because that seems to be all i have left that is original? he couldn't answer. not to slam remington, i love the ones i own, but they are shotguns.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Apart from my dear old 30's vintage 32-20 Savage bolt rifle I have never owned a Savage. They are plug ugly, but work well, many of my friends have them and all love them. I usually buy used and have never seen a Savage on sale second hand that I can remember, so I never ended up with one. I came close to buying a Stevens 200 recently. They are virtually giving them away. I'd run out of puff carrying a rifle like that but it will serve you well. I can't say I have eevr heard a bad report on one.
    i'm not sleeping with it, i just want it to put metal where i tell it to.

Quote Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
    i'm not sleeping with it, i just want it to put metal where i tell it to.
    Well you usually turn the light out when you go to sleep

The gawky lines turn a lot of people off is what I was trying to say, they lack the graceful lines of a featherweight or a 700, but don't lack anything performance wise.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Stevens 200 is what i go for since it's half the price and i can adjust the trigger, actually i was just day dreaming about getting a short action, changing bolt face and trigger, bed the forearm, swap the barrel out for a 6.5 rem mag twisted for 140 grain and under bullets. great carry around gun and good for almost anything in this state. Shoot that would be fun......
    Last edited by .357; 12-09-2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: spell check!
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

The Stevens was a good deal, bu tthe new Edge seems to have a lot more features for about the same money, I'd be going down that path unless the Stevens was heavily discounted.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    If you do then that might be the one I wanted...
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I am not a rifle guy (keep buying handguns I guess), but I used to have a Savage in .223 with a heavy barrel, left-handed law enforcement model, that would shoot rings around my buddy's Ruger that cost $ 300.00 bucks more. Sold it to go to school, yes I regret it. My only consolation is that it was pre-Accu-trigger. Until someone else can make a rifle that shot as well as that one did, I see no reason to buy anything else. Like I said, I am not a rifle guy, but please, Savage if you are listening, make one in .260 Remington, I will be the first in line.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    They are plug ugly
    I agree, that's the reason I don't own one. Anyone else looking for an excuse not to have one can use it too.

Boolit Bub
    scope is mounted, ammo purchased, first round flies tomorrow AM!

I have a model 99A...LOVE IT!!! In .300 savage, easy to reload I found reloading dies and I have aquired 2 double molds in the proper .309 size and weight. If you want a real powerhouse (almost as good as a 30-06) this is a great gun.

I have yet to shoot the new version with the accutrigger, but it cant be as good as a remington 700 ADL (one of my sniper rifles) in .308

I guess it is all in how much you want to spend!

Banned

A work of American art...

Boolit Master
    Nice Savage ......... Pat!!!

I love the Remington 700!

I love the Savage series ...... I did not like them at first ....... but how can you dislike something that shoots that well.

Looks don't kill but I the Savages look just fine ......

NOW ...... however, there is game changer ........ Nuted McGowen barrels for Remington 700's ....... the nut is cut to fit a Savage nut wrench.

Yes, life is good!

Three 44s

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I am not a rifle guy (keep buying handguns I guess), but I used to have a Savage in .223 with a heavy barrel, left-handed law enforcement model, that would shoot rings around my buddy's Ruger that cost $ 300.00 bucks more. Sold it to go to school, yes I regret it. My only consolation is that it was pre-Accu-trigger. Until someone else can make a rifle that shot as well as that one did, I see no reason to buy anything else. Like I said, I am not a rifle guy, but please, Savage if you are listening, make one in .260 Remington, I will be the first in line.

exile
    To late Exile: Savage has already done it. Take your pick 260 Rem or 6.5mm Creedmoor. Last week they listed one rifle in 6.5mm. This week they list six models. Check out the gun finder page. Click on caliber. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/#

Savage web site even managed to misspell the name Creedmoor. As used by Creedmoor Sports. http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast