RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Husqvarna Commercial Sporting Rifle? Anygood?

Boolit Master
    I have the EXACT rifle pictured in your link in 30-06.

I can cover 5 shots @ 100 yds with a quarter.

I'm having trouble deciding if I want my son to have that rifle when I'm gone.....or if I want to be burried with it.

$300, buy it......before someone else does.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    I have the EXACT rifle pictured in your link in 30-06.

I can cover 5 shots @ 100 yds with a quarter.

I'm having trouble deciding if I want my son to have that rifle when I'm gone.....or if I want to be burried with it.

$300, buy it......before someone else does.
    Decisions, decisions!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    About fifty years ago I had a HVA .243. This was on the small ring 98 type action made circa. 1954-1967. That was in my "so poor I had to sell to buy" days, and one of the two rifles I regret trading off. Recently I made good that loss by buying a HVA .30/06 at the Big Reno Gun Show. The replacement is the J. C. Higgins version of the small ring HVA; exactly the same HVA action, plain grade, same style checkered stock and light sporter barrel by Marlin. You have to take the bad with the good; the trigger is four lbs. and non-adjustable and the aluminum bottom metal has an unsavory reputation, but mine is still in one piece. Complete with "vintage" Redfield Bear Cub 2 3/4 X and Redfield Jr. mount it weighs 7 lbs. 4 oz. Accuracy is 2 MOA with Remington Core Lokt bulk bullet full power loads or Lyman 314299 over 16.0 X 2400. To complete the outfit, I found a Sears Ted Williams black vinyl soft case at another gun show. Somebody had added a ventilated recoil pad, fortunately without cutting the stock, so the pull is now 14 1/2", about 3/4" too long for me, and the shiny spot at the fore end tip indicates the bedding may be calling for attention. One of these days...

If there is a HVA historian reading this thread it would be helpful if he would post an accurate chronology of rhe various models of HVA imported to the U. S. A. I believe the early post-war imports used Belgian commercial large ring FN actions, then there was a period when HVA made their own 98 actions, then the small ring 98 types made from the mid fifties to the late sixties. After 1967 or so HVA seems to have brought out their own modenized actions. I'm all ears for correction!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Curmugeon- Here is the best source of info I've found on the commercial Husqvarna's:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...rting-Firearms
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    I had a Husqy in .270 Win. The only fault I have with them is there are no 'Bleed" holes in the action. You know the hole that vent gas overboard in case of a ruptured cartridge. I ruptured a .270 round and got a face full of molten brass and a two piece stock. I thought I would rebuild it but parts are hard to find and pricey. Other then that it was a fine shooter.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

another Hi-Power

Some will recall how selling one of these affected my personality,especially given the fact that the purchaser wiil find a way to regularly insert a public reminder here of my folly .. So,a few days ago a partial remedy came in view, and a 270 W. of that special vintage is now resident in that rack space..Just as nice visually,but doubt if it will equal '06 with boolits.Only 1 afternoon here since Christmas with daily high above freezing,so waiting a bit to find out..
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Buddy
    Antonio Zoli is the Italian manufacturer who now makes these rifles. Nice catalogue at their website.

Boolit Mold
    When I went to school to be a machinist, I had a instructor that came from the tool and die trade.
    His first rifle was a old - and by that I will say it was probably made in the 50's 0r 60's - Husky in 30-06.
    Like most young people - he got hard up once - after he came home from Nam and he sold it off.

He swore up and down that it was one of the best rifles he ever saw, both in performance and in durability.

My only problem with your choice is the 8MM caliber - would not be my first choice.

Now one of my neighbors has a Mauser in 8MM and he hand loads and he can hit a target at 100 yards, which is probably good enough for what he uses it for - shooting whitetail deer in Pennsylvania. But you are never going to make a tack driver out of it.

Like most rifles of that era, if you can get 5 shots in a 3 inch circle - that is acceptable by those standards.

Personally - I do not have anything against it, and I wouldn't mind using it - if I went on a bear hunt and was only allowed to bring one rifle.
    But I would not want to use it on anything over 200 yards.

So the question to me isn't - is it any good, but what are you planning on using it for and where are you going to use it. Treestand rifle in deep woods, brush buster for a deer drive - you probably couldn't beat it with a stick!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    When I went to school to be a machinist, I had a instructor that came from the tool and die trade.
    His first rifle was a old - and by that I will say it was probably made in the 50's 0r 60's - Husky in 30-06.
    Like most young people - he got hard up once - after he came home from Nam and he sold it off.

He swore up and down that it was one of the best rifles he ever saw, both in performance and in durability.

My only problem with your choice is the 8MM caliber - would not be my first choice.

Now one of my neighbors has a Mauser in 8MM and he hand loads and he can hit a target at 100 yards, which is probably good enough for what he uses it for - shooting whitetail deer in Pennsylvania. But you are never going to make a tack driver out of it.

Like most rifles of that era, if you can get 5 shots in a 3 inch circle - that is acceptable by those standards.

Personally - I do not have anything against it, and I wouldn't mind using it - if I went on a bear hunt and was only allowed to bring one rifle.
    But I would not want to use it on anything over 200 yards.

So the question to me isn't - is it any good, but what are you planning on using it for and where are you going to use it. Treestand rifle in deep woods, brush buster for a deer drive - you probably couldn't beat it with a stick!

ALRIGHT YOUNGSTER Going around here referring to made in the 50's or 60's as OLD will get you in a HEAP of trouble.... Dang kids nowadays.

IMO: just about any Mauser action (German, Turkish, Spanish, Swede, etc...) can be made to shoot into a minute 1/2 or less. Use a boolet of the correct size for the big sloppy throat goes a long way. .02

Boolit Master

ALRIGHT YOUNGSTER Going around here referring to made in the 50's or 60's as OLD will get you in a HEAP of trouble.... Dang kids nowadays.

Yeah.... I have boots and hunting clothes that are nearly that old!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Daniel Boone, are you talking about offhand? Or was that tongue in cheek. My M6400 Husqvarna in 270 W. was made about 1966 and when working up a load, it starts with 2" with loads it doesn't like and winds up at an easy 1" with loads it does like. What's wrong with the 8mm? awesome deer load and cast friendly. Ron.D

Get it and if you don't love it...sell it to me! But seriously, you can make the brass from 30-06 (8mm is the parent case for the '06...we stole the design from the Germans..and got sued for it) by simply running it through a form die and trimming off the excess neck. I think mine was an RCBS die. I trimmed mine with a fine toothed hacksaw (the die is hardened just for this purpose, the saw won't bother it) and then deburred the case mouth and loaded. The only hard part is listening to the squeaking noise the hacksaw makes....like fingernails on a chalk board.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an early 640 in 30/06 and an Imperial Lightweight also in 30/06. Both beautifully made weapons.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12