WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rcbs 30-180-fn

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbanger View Post
    RCBS has a $10 rebate available that should save you a bit. Download the coupon from their site.
    Thank you! I did just that yesterday and will mail it today. The end cost on the mold will be $53.00!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Any one using it in a Garand?
    I tried it in my M1 a few days ago using a modified version of the Bob S. load, 41gr. IMR 4831 in Remington cases, W-W primer. I got flawless functioning, though I think I can back-off on this load a little as the cases were flung as far as using G.I. Ball and accuracy was just so-so at around 3" @ 50yds. but I only tried that one load. Yes, this boolit will work quite well in an M1, I just need to work on the load for accuracy a little more.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
    I tried it in my M1 a few days ago using a modified version of the Bob S. load, 41gr. IMR 4831 in Remington cases, W-W primer. I got flawless functioning, though I think I can back-off on this load a little as the cases were flung as far as using G.I. Ball and accuracy was just so-so at around 3" @ 50yds. but I only tried that one load. Yes, this boolit will work quite well in an M1, I just need to work on the load for accuracy a little more.
    Ideally what you want with the M1 is reliable functioning while keeping velocity under 1950 fps. That will get you the best accuracy. Hard to do with ligher bullets of 150-170 gr. A 180 gr is borderline. It's why I most often recommend the 200+ gr 311299 or 314299 as the bullet of choice for the M1/M14 in either '06 or .308W. Affitionally the lube grooves can be inside the necks without the GC being below the case necks.

Not saying you should get a new mould just suggesting a powder that gives reliable ignition with 100% functioning and keeping velocities under 1950 fps to get best accuracy also.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Ideally what you want with the M1 is reliable functioning while keeping velocity under 1950 fps. That will get you the best accuracy. Hard to do with ligher bullets of 150-170 gr. A 180 gr is borderline. It's why I most often recommend the 200+ gr 311299 or 314299 as the bullet of choice for the M1/M14 in either '06 or .308W. Affitionally the lube grooves can be inside the necks without the GC being below the case necks.

Not saying you should get a new mould just suggesting a powder that gives reliable ignition with 100% functioning and keeping velocities under 1950 fps to get best accuracy also.

Larry Gibson
    Hi Larry. I didn't chrony it, more or less loaded them just to see if they would work. I have a Lyman 311299 and it's now my primary '06 boolit,(just got the mold last Nov) and it does quite a bit better than my other .30 boolits. My best groups so far with the 30-180-FN are about twice what my best 311299 groups are in a good bolt gun.

My M1 isn't the tightest, an old DCM rifle I got way back with the original 1943 barrel, (yeah, the throat is a little thin) it'll do about 3.5" groups at 100yds. I size the 311299 to .310x.301 for it and am working the charge down from 41.0gr. IMR4831, (what I used with the Lyman 311332-180gr. boolit). I haven't tried 4350 yet, but understand some guys like it with cast. The weather is getting nice around here and I'll get out more now to shoot.

In answer to cabezaverde's question, it'll work in an M1-Not the best for accuracy, but it functions fine.

Great mould!!!

I have one and it drops .311, and my 98 mauser loves it! Shoots an inch at 100yds or just over. Good luck with yours, considering a hp conversion on one cavity.
    But i might leave good enough alone, and hp my Lee 90362. (113 gr) shorty.
    BB03
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12