MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 45-70 Question

Boolit Mold

45-70 Question

I was wondering if anybody has any load info on using Geox FFFg in a 45-70 with a 405gr? The riffle is an H&R Buffalo Classic. I use FFFg in both my .50 cal front stuffers so I have quite a bit and buy lots every year.

Boolit Master
    This quesion is hard to answer due to variables. I have used FFFG GOEX in my 45-70s and got good accuracy. I found that FFG or FG gave me better accuracy in my guns. I would start by dropping powder slowly through a 24 to 30 inch drop tube until the powder is high enough in the case so that the bullet will compress the powder at least 1/16" with a .030 Wad between the powder and bullet base. Try 10 and see if you like the results if not add some more powder so that you double the compression and so on until you get the accuracy you want. Once you get to around .25 inches of compression you really should get a compression die to compress the powder before seating the bullet othewise you can deform the bullet during setting. GOEX generally likes more compression. One of my rifles and bullets I shoot likes .4" of compression before I got really good accuracy but then I have another rifle that I just barely compress the powder and that rifle likes that load. So as I said there are variables and no cookbook answer only what works for you. I would bet that no two BPCR shooters will end up with exactly the same load except by accident. Once you get started you will work on refinements such as pimer wads, different primers, bullets, etc till you got loads that do what you want them to do. That is one of the fun parts of burning the black stuff.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks NickSS

I have everything I need just waiting for the compression plug. Been shooting Remintons 405gr (smokeless) store has lots so no rush to load just I love BP smell and feel!
    ROB
    A bad friend is like a slinky, useless until you push them down the stairs then they become entertaining!