RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 270win vs 6.5x55

Don’t know how long the magazine is on a Winchester short action featherweight. Maybe long enough for a 260 with long bullets. They’d need a different chamber dimension than Remington to load heavy bullets to a longer COL. May as well go with the 6.5 Creedmoor as Remington had jinks the 260 forever and the next step above the ballistics is a Winchester 270 anyway. The 6.5 Creedmoor will match a 6.5 Swede but with greater case life and less powder volume.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Savage just started making rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem.
    Only list them in the stainless steel model so far. A 260 Rem does not really fit a Savage short action magazine if you want heavier bullets. Darn fools should have made the 260 Rem in a long action where it belongs and throated it to take heavy bullet that make it a step over a 243 Win chambering. Why would Savage make the same stupid mistake Remington did with the 260? Maybe because they are just another bunch of bean counting dumb asses. I like the 6.5mm Creedmoor better anyway. Not fired either one but the lower recoil appeals to me. Hope it catches on then maybe FN will come around to chamber the Win M-70 Featherweight in 6.5mm Creedmoor. Option it with a youth length stock and iron adjustable peep sights. Dream on hey.
    If they had of made it in ashort action, guys would have been complaining that they couldn't seat the boolits out far enough, build it in a long action and some would complain that the gun was too big.

Like the Ruger Vaqueros, squillions were complaining that the old model was way to obig and it would be better off with a Colt sized action. They bring out the new model and now people want the big tough old vaquero.

Like a lot of things manafacturing guns involves a lot of comprimises I suppose.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

You’re correct four fingers.

Remington had a valid reason to offer 260 Rem in the little Model Seven and other light weight rifles which are a pain to shoot with something like 308 Win. Just us strange people wanting a 600 to 1000 yard rifle to shoot the 142 grain .580 BC bullets. Even so a 260 Rem with the long 142’s deep seated will run them over 2750 fps. They optimized the chamber to run 120 grain weight range bullets and that’s practical in a deer rifle. Those weight bullets will shoot right alongside a 130 grain 270 Win with far less recoil. I’ve always liked the look of the 6.5 Creedmoor with it’s 30 degree shoulder and shorter case. Either cartridge will shoot faster than the old Mauser loads in 6.5 x 55mm so it’s a no brainier on how well they can take game. Thing about optimizing a 6.5mm to a 120 grain bullet is they don't out shoot a 257 Roberts or 250 Savage. Both great deer rounds. I want big bullets that set a 6.5mm a leap above the 6mm rounds.

I’ve had an urge for an FN Winchester every since FN started M70’s back into production. Actually I’d like two. They were on sale last week for under $600 and I resisted. If FN chambered the Featherweight in either 6.5mm I’d have to pruchase two. One for each daughter.

The CZ or Tika rifles don’t do anything to tweak my trigger. That’s a personal preference and so meaningless to anyone else besides myself. Also don’t like stainless steel rifles like the Savage Weather Warrior they catalogued the 260 Rem and 6.5mm Creedmoor in. OP may want to take a look at one over the Swede. Stainless makes a good pickup truck gun. You can always paint over that shiny steel and black composite stock.

Taking a big guess. I’d day Savage will see which 6.5mm sells best then drop the lager.
    Ruger has been chambering the 6.5 Creedmoor but I have one Ruger rifle and that’s enough.

Boolit Buddy
    I fell in love with the 6.5x55 over 30 years ago and have never regretted it. I currently own a dozen of them ranging from a 1896 Swedish Long Rifle to a Tikka Super Varminter, a modern target gun that boasts 1/4" groups. I too, have a Remington 6.5x55 Classic that shoots lousy but the apple of my eye in a little Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with the barrel cut to 20". With a Burris 2-7x and sling it weighs exactly 7 lbs and groups into 1/2" all day, even from a stone cold barrel.

It goes everywhere I hunt, no matter the place or the species hunted. If I could only have one rifle, this would be it. It is unfailingly accurate, reliable and has that wonderful magic of killing everything I ever shot with it with one round.

I once had a Savage .270 and it was a great gun. It was also VERY accurate and would group the old 130 gr CIL Sabretips into 5/8" at 3,100 fps. I only ever killed one deer with it, a doe, at a range of 40 yards. Although I hit her smack in the ribs the damage was extensive. I decided I really didn't need to hit a deer that hard and in a fit of foolishness, I sold the gun. Duhhh.

I am seriously wedded to the 6.5x55 as my handle might suggest. I have killed critters from 10 yards to 413 yards, my longest shot at a deer (a one shot kill... DRT ) I have absolute, unshakable faith in it.

I guess you know which way my advice would go?
    .444 Old Timer, Canadian Shooting Sports Association Life Member - CSSA rocks!
    I support Canada's troops. Always caring, always Canadian, never defeated!

roysha said it all

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Of the 2 choices you mentioned my first choice would be 270 and my 2nd choice would be 270.
    If you can't get it done with a 270, you need to find a different hobby!
    and another thing if winchester ever thought of a better cal than the 270 he took
    it with him to the grave .
    you hit anything proper (in the u.s.)and it dont go down walk around behindit to see what
    is holding it up.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Mold
    I like the 270,but would give the 6.5 a try as i have a 7.5 k31,the boolit matters the most as that is what gets the work done on deer!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123