Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 270win vs 6.5x55

Boolit Mold

270win vs 6.5x55

Going to buy one but having a hard time desiding which one would be the best for me, I want it in a cz 550.

I really like 6.5's but bullets are harder to find and brass will have to be new. I like to stock up on ammo It's going to be harder to do with a 6.5x55

270 can be found anywhere my reloading shop which is a good friend has buckets of 270 brass, could probley get a 5 gal bucket free. it's been a long time sence I shot a 270 so don't know about the recoil. cz 550's are heavy so it shouldn't be bad. Im also worried the 270 will blow up deer at close range hunting. I was thinking I could load a 150 gr bullet at 2600-2700 fps for hunting where shots will be close A 270 150 gr loaded to 2700 fps should be about the same as a 6.5x55 140 gr loaded to 2700 fps

I don't see why a 270 can't be down loaded for close range hunting and loaded hotter for longer shots. I don't like throwing half of a deer away because it's blood shot

My goal is to find a caliber for mostly whitetail but also able to shoot groundhogs and coyotes

why buy a 6.5x55 when a 270 can be handloaded to do everything a 6.5x55 can do? I guess I like the 6.5x55 so much I need to be talked out of it because it makes more sence money wise. Im also buying a house so money will be tight for awhile

Boolit Grand Master
    Both calibers work well for the venues you mention. I went the 6.5 x 55 route a long time ago (Ruger 77R), and have zero regrets. In the 22" Ruger, the 140 at 2700 is near max in my rifle. The CZ's barrel being 1.5" longer might give you a bit more potential (on paper). The Swede has been tipping over moose and stag in Scandinavia since forever with 139-140 grainers at 2450 FPS.

The 270 has a bigger following here than the 6.5 x 55, but bullet moulds are darn near non-existent. 6.5mm moulds are easier to find. Same story on gas checks. I don't load any 270 or 7mm calibers for myself, BTW. I do load a host of 30s and 31s, though.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never met anyone that owned and hunted with a 6.5 X 55 that didn't like it.

It's ability to make clean kills is way beyond what you'd expect it to be able to do.

Boolit Master

I don't know anything a bought 6.5x55 other then what I have heard which was good like posted above. The .270 is what I use for deer (except in OH) and I've had shot's at range's close to far and never had excessive meat damage. The .270 has performed really well on deer for me dropping them clean but I'm sure the 6.5x55 will too. It just comes down to which you think you will like better. FB

Boolit Master
    I have never hunted with either the 270 or the 6.5x55. I do however have a profound respect for the 6.5 caliber. This because I used a 256 Newton to make a spectacular kill on a mid sized bull elk. With the elk running straight away I planted a 129gn Nosler partition in the elks right flank after he quickly put about 100 yards distance between us when I jumped him from his bed. It knocked him flat on his chin. He struggled for a few seconds and did get his front feet under him but tipped over and was done.
    I recovered the Nosler bullet when I skinned the elk from his neck on the opposite side I hit him on. That was about 4 feet of penetration through hide, paunch, heart/lung and neck. The load was pushing the little Nosler bullet to 2900 fps MV. I was impressed!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The 6.5 will have a gentler recoil, if that helps.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

"Moderator Emeritus"

Years ago, a friend and I had a Juniper tree that we shot in to. The only two bullets to get through it were a 375-338 shooting 300 gr RN solids and a 6.5X55 shooting 160 RN solids. I have killed a few Elk with the 6.5X55 with the Hornaday 129 gr spire points, and a few Mule Deer with a 270 and Nosler's ballistic tips. six of one, half a dozen of the other. Either will do the job on a White Tail. the 270 will be easier to find components for though.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

ummm i fell in love with my first 6.5 so perhaps my opinion is biased but not without just reason , i'll save ya'll all the great stories suffice to say sectional density and ballistic coefficient.... one has to get up to the heaviest 7mm's and 30 caliber to even exceed it , but dont take my word for it , research it , even the humble lil 6.5 jap turns in astounding performance ( to say nothing of the 6.5 x 284 ) that long bearing surface really helps , both work but i've seen more bloodshot meat from a 270 than a 6.5 that also matters to me , a 260 remington wouldnt be a bad choice either or if you must have the longer case the 6.5-06 ( but those werent two of the options )

Boolit Grand Master
    In my opinion, either round will will do anything the other one will in the real world. The 6.5 will have less recoil.

I am pretty much a one gun- one load type of guy for hunting rifles. For playing around on the range, whatever works for you.

Robert

Boolit Master

Brassman.com has new PMC brass for a 6.5 x 55 for $130 for 500. A loading of 10 gr or so of Unique under a 140 gr lead boolit will group at 1/2 inch all day long in my rifle.

Cheap to feed, easy to load, easy on the shoulder and accurate as you would want.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Both are old proven cartridges, just select the proper bullet for the task. I've owned both but never hunted with my Swedish carbine.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

In Remebrance

It's really just a matter of preference. The 270 is a easier to get brass for, but it's going to kick more, is able to go a bit faster, lacks much cast choice and tends to provide more chance for bloodshot meat with standard loads. But, as you say, it can be down loaded. The 6.5 on the other hand is a little slower, a smidge harder to get brass for, has more cast designs, kicks less, usually has high sectional density, has a great rep for accuracy and killing game.

Me, I'd take the 6.5. Either will do.

Boolit Master
    Not to mention that a 6.5 x 55 is just so much more cool.
    I like a .270, but have an affinity for anything considered kinda "oddball" by my buddies.

Boolit Grand Master

Potsy, Is that from Happy Days? Kind of agree with you that the 6.5x55 is kinda cool. Have a pair of original long ones (wish I had a carbine as well), and one of these days would like a modern CZ in one as well. Will never knock a 270, and was always a fan of Jack O'Conner. Love the cruse missle in my rifles. Gets a lot of odd looks from guys at the range.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

270, hands down.

I say that only because like 30-30 and 30-06, you can always buy ammo anyplace that sells ammo.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Of the 2 choices you mentioned my first choice would be 270 and my 2nd choice would be 270.
    If you can't get it done with a 270, you need to find a different hobby!

Are you going to only buy ammo or make it? I got the 6.5 full stock version. I found plenty Privi brass at Grafs and others. Bullets and dies are readily available and primers are standard. Either is a fine choice just get the one you really want and make your own ammo.

Boolit Master

.270 is a good deer rifle, but a 6.5 is tough to beat. I have had a Swedish carbine from my youth. A few years ago I found a Ruged 77 Mk II. I can now run it up to Euro specs without worry.
    Brass is not that hard to find due to Ruger's run of tha calibre. Winchester factory ammo is available too.
    The 6.5X55 is truly a "Mice to moose" calibre.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I really don't think brass availability is a consideration. A couple hundred is all you will ever need, at the most.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have had several 270s ver the years and frankly found them to be so close to the 30-06 for deer and not as good as the 30-06 for anything larger (I know I will get comments on that statement) so I ended up selling them. This is largely due to bullet weight considerations. I like a long heavy bullet for elk and larger critters and the 270 does not have them. The 6.5s do have the long heavy bullets with lots of sectional density. So I use a 6.5 X55 in a CZ 550 for most of my hunting with modern rifles these days. It kicks less than either the 270 or 30-06 and kills as good as either. It also has a better bullet selection than 270s both in jacketed and cast so that's my 2 cents worth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast