RepackboxWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Do you think a SA revolver makes a good self-defense handgun?

Voters
971. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

335 34.50%
  • No. The fact that they are SA, have slow reloads, bulky hammers, etc… makes them a poor choice.

119 12.26%
  • If that is what you feel comfortable with then go for it.

517 53.24%
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Action revolvers for self-defense?

Boolit Man
    Very interesting! The question was about "self-defense".... Now, when I hear self-defense, I am thinking defending against bad guys AND animals. So if both those things are potentially on your plate, I would say a SA would be much better than any semi-auto...

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Folks, it is awful easy to loose sight of what's REALLY important - you MUST be able to hit WHERE you need to with adequate power QUICKLY. The tool is secondary - the emphasis MUST be on HITTING!

Hitting under pressure absolutely requires REGULAR trigger time!

Dale53

I subscribe to the school of thought that bullet placement is the most important issue. I normally carry a SP101 and feel comfortable with whats in the cyl for just about any situation. I am not a cop who is going in harms way and after the first round goes off with a 4 foot ball of flame and the noise of a 357 I pretty much expect that I won't need the other 4 rounds, hit or miss.

Dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

I think the caliber is fantastic, one shot and you should have control of the situation! If there is more than one perpatrator you should have the rest of their attention. My only down side would be to comfort of concealable carry. and conceal ability, But there is no dought in my mind that the revolver and caliber are most capable!

Google "Captain Jonathan Davis" and read about his experience. Don't know if he had heard of midnset or not.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    For home defense against breakins, as opposed to a street firefight, I can tell you the SA is certainly adequate. In the late 60's, having returned from Vietnam, I was staying with my Dad on the old place 'way out in the sticks, never expecting any kind of threat. He'd taught me to shoot with his old Colt Frontier 44-40, blackpowder! (He loaded his own with an ancient Winchester nutcracker tool).
    We heard noises in the middle of the night, and got up to investigate, Dad with that antique Colt in his hand. Encountered three punks who'd gotten into the front room and were poking into stuff. Dad yelled something at them, and one started to point a .22 revolver at us; Dad didn't hesitate. That old 44-40 went off with a huge roar and a blast of orange flame, and nailed the punk mid-chest., knocking him a few feet backwards and down. The other two froze; then one started hollering "don't shoot me." I think the huge boom and flash, along with their buddy being literally "blown away," took out any remaining aggressive thoughts they may have had. We had no further trouble with them, nor did the sheriff when he arrived.

40+ years later, that old Frontier, still loaded with black powder, is on my bedstand; and woe betide the next punk(s) to break in.

Boolit Grand Master

Hogpost;
    I LOVE IT!

Serious justice, RIGHT NOW!

Dale53

.45 vaquero 250 gr gold dots

Keep it loaded and on hand always around the house. My boys can both handle it and shoot it well. They both started shooting it when they were 4, and are comfortable with it. I carry an XDm 40 for two legged antagonists, but would not hesitate to carry the SA. Pistols are NOT my first home defense choice. I keep a benelli M4 stocked with 9 slugs as my number one. But seeing how a good percentage of home invasions are not discovered until someone is already in your bedroom, my .40 is CLOSE, because I might not have time to grab the shotgun. My oldest can handle the shotgun, even with slugs, but is not comfortable with the .40, same with the wife. Everyone can handle the vaquero. If I am concerned with punks, and something that has teeth and claws, the SA, is what I will carry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Hogpost;
    I LOVE IT!

Serious justice, RIGHT NOW!

Dale53
    I was parked in an area known as Senica on the Virginia side of the Potomac river in a 1961 Corvette.
    A guy approached my side of the car and wanted my cigarettes, I told him NO and to get the hell out of my way or I was going to shoot him! He then went around to the passenger side where my girl friend was and tried to pull open the door with another guy!

I got my pistol (22 Bearcat, Federal HP's) and steeped out of the Vette, this made the original jerk to come back around to my side of the car and start telling me I wasn't going to shoot anyone! Big mistake, I shot him in the leg and he started jumping up and down like a chicken with the head cut off ( Honest)!

I turned to shoot the other one and he was "GONE", when I turned back the original assailant was "GONE" as well! This all happened very fast!!!!

One shot, one MASS EXODUS, stage left!
    Theres more to the story but I rather not tell it!

Bottom line, be prepared, this could have been a complete catastrophe!!

Not my only engagement, but I sure as HELL hope it's my last!

Yes I have kept a SA .44 special by my bed, along with a Sig .40 on the dresser and an AR15 with an ACOG and 30 round magazine in the corner.
    I do like a Single action handgun because it adds class to any situation.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

I haven't read all nine pages of this, but I did want to add that if you have a .45ACP cylinder in your Ruger, a cheap junk 1911 mag makes a great speed reloader. Just thumb them in as you turn the cylinder. Polish the chambers up with a ball hone from brownells or similar, and the empties will fall out until the gun gets filthed up.

I don't go too many places without a 642 in my pocket loaded with +P Critcal Defense rounds.
    I have a couple of Flat Top Blackhawks in the safe that I love, but when I handle them, I don't see myself taking one with me wherever I go, maybe with the right leather rig.
    The double action, always ready, point and shoot, snag free, speedloader capable advantages of the pocket gun aside, I got to say that just showing the sixgun would probably end most disputes.

Boolit Grand Master
    45 colt bedside
    12 ga in bed room closet
    wifey has a 22 revolver in dainty items drawer
    knife clipped in pants and serious dislike for intruders
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

For quite a few years in the early to late 70's I kept a Ruger 45 Colt right by the bed-usually under the mattress. I didn't feel under gunned or less protected as I trusted the centennial round to stop whatever I may encounter in the house and it no doubt would have.

Things have changed over the years and I doubt you'll encounter a single attacker in the home but rather by two's and three's. You'd best be a cool, straight shooter with a SA as there's no time for reloading. The 45 Colt was my first love but I have to be a realist and know I'm no Thell Reed or Bob Mundane with a SA and have since decided on the 45 ACP under my pillow. I gained a great sense of solace from that choice.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Buddy
    I think like most of us that, if the SA is what you're comfortable with, and can actually hit with it, then it's the best bedside arm for you. Switching to, and learning, something else entirely is not an easy or quick project. In agreement with ColColt, you can today expect multiple B&E creeps; but when the first one gets loudly and messily and prompty blown away, it's not likely #2 or #3 will want to pick up the gunfight from there. Very very few B&E animals have the first clue about guns and how to use them, and just as few have the balls to do do anything other than freeze or run when they've just been sprayed with blood spatter from their buddy, and their ears are ringing from the muzzle blast.

Hogpost, I agree. I think the splatter-effect is under rated.

In Remebrance

Ya know, it's funny, but for all the bottom feeder training I had, I still feel more comfortable with a good old reliable Smith DA. I'm sure others feel the same way about their SA's, be they Colt, Ruger, Cimmaron, what ever. Nothing in the world wrong with that!

I have a couple of boxes of Cor-Bon 45 Colt ammo. It is loaded with the famous 200 grain Speer Flying Ashtray at 1,100 fps. I have been sticking my new Ruger Flatop loaded with that stuff under the pillow right next to the Glock.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    "A 32 gun in his pocket for fun and a razor in his shoe" Mod 10 Smith in night stand, 25 Raven is fake book in the living room and a Kimber 45ACP in family room.

Boolit Buddy
    Chargar, I don't think I could sleep with that much iron under my pillow
    But for this thread, which one would you grab first, the SA or the auto?

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast