Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you think a SA revolver makes a good self-defense handgun?

Voters
971. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

335 34.50%
  • No. The fact that they are SA, have slow reloads, bulky hammers, etc… makes them a poor choice.

119 12.26%
  • If that is what you feel comfortable with then go for it.

517 53.24%
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Action revolvers for self-defense?

Boolit Master

Think about the 45 Long Colt.

A 250 grain or more slug.

One of them should take the fight out of most bad guys if it is well-placed.

Boolit Bub
    Yes I say, sometimes I carry a Bisley Blackhawk 45.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Any gun is better than no gun.
    90 some % of all civilian gunfights are 1 shot. Just the presence of a gun stops most everything. So yes I feel quit content with a single shot on my person.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In Remebrance

Providing you avoid the obvious bad ideas- dealing drugs, starting fights with armed people in bars, fooling with other folks significant others, burglarizing homes and businesses, assassinating heads or state, stuff like that- and assuming you're not actually dumber than a rock and know enough to avoid obvious pitfalls (see above) then I see no reason the average person armed with a SA wouldn't be as likely to survive the typical armed encounter as the guy with the WonderNineTacticalExtremeBottomFeedingNinja gun. The mere presence of a weapon is alleged to have the calming effect on BG's needed something like 80% of the time according to some stats (believe what you wish). If the BG has the drop on you from the start (been there- a 22LR looks huge pointed at your face) then all the fire power in the world isn't going to help.

Ah, whatever. I tire of the High Road type discussions that always end up going in the same circles. Use what YOU feel is good. I've carried from a 25 Auto to a 45ACP. They all work.

Boolit Grand Master
    To each his own.
    Might not be my first choice but I wont tell someone else how to defend himself. With practice you can become vert proficient at reloading.
    If you feel comfortable with single action, go for it.

Boolit Master
    Aren't you the fella that posted a few weeks ago he was worried about the gang activity in the Tex-Mex border area he lived in?

Gang activity means just that: Armed Multiple Morons!

While I think the Single action pistol is a neat tool, I have owned several but don't right now, the fact remains these are called "Crank & Yanks" for a reason!

Add in the fact that no matter how fast you are you are never going to re load a Crank & Yank as fast as you can reload an auto pistol.

I think selecting a single action pistol for this type of possible defense is a way bad idea!

Using a single action because it's what you have is, as always, better than rocks.

But in this case you have a choice as to what you carry because you are planning defense ( proactive) rather than having defense thrust upon you ( reactive).

Once again a small single stack 9mm or 40 1911 style pistol and a couple spare mags will get you what you need when you need it.

Boolit Master
    Supposedly the average gun fight is under seven yards and lasts for 2.7 rounds. Altho not my first choice, it could get the job done in the hands of a man that knows what he is doing. The SA's I have shot seem to point very nicely, especially the Colt clones.

As long as you're not going up against multiple armed assailants in which case I would prefer at least a mortar squad or a Cobra gunship as back up! Cause even my Colt Combat Commander with two spare eight round mags would be hard pressed to handle multiple armed BG's. Just my two (inflated) bucks worth.

Some gun is better than no gun.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Buddy
    Not my first choice. I feel there are better options out there. I wouldn't purchase a SA revolver for defense. But I would use one if I needed to.

Boolit Master

FWIW, my 'working on the farm always on me" rig is a SIG 226, with a large capacity mag and two more on my pistol belt.

So far it has been up to the task of dispatching copperheads and a rabid skunk.

For BGs, this would not be my first choice.

To have a valid poll, you need to include a category entitled "I don't give a damn!"

Boolit Master
    well i answered they are good. but then i used one for self defense.
    at the time i was carring a ruger blackhawk in .357 with 45/8 barrel. i stopped at a red light a porch monkey came running over grabed me by the neck and yelled get out of my car . i grabed the above pistol shoved between his eyes cocked the hammer. i guess him seeing the hollow points going round changed his mind. he let go and got out of there fast.

Boolit Master
    Here I carry a 3 3/4 Vaquero with 335 Keiths at 1075 when the bears are out. Otherwise a 1911, especially when I go to Texas, see the post above about TexMex border.
    bob208, way to go!!! I'll bet that boy saw Jesus

Boolit Master
    I shoot 24 rounds right handed and 24 with the left daily....two handed Weaver stance...with 5.5 inch VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS in either 357 or 44. I feel relatively comfortable walking around the farm. More stressful moments would require my 624, 625, 627, 629 or 645....more likely an 870 or M1A.

A better idea is to go quietly about your business and avoid places where it might be "stomp a stranger night." I drink SODA at my faorite saloon, know most of the staff, and leave when anyone gets rambunctious....and I go there about once a month.

bhn22
    deleted
    Last edited by bhn22; 11-21-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Up here I most often carry a large bore revolver, normally a 629 but I recently picked up at flat top 44 that I have taken a liking to. On the rare event that I have to go down state I usually take my 1911 and load up every magazine I have.

Boolit Master

A single-action will do just fine. Just be pro-active, as it’s better to have the revolver in hand and ready to go, than draw on the run going for cover after taking fire. If you get off the 1st shot and take the BG down the others will scatter for cover, as will you, and everything will settle down pretty quickly - because their easy prey turned mean and most turds want nothing to do with an armed stranger who knows how to use his revolver.

Your biggest hassle will probably be with the legal system.

Boolit Buddy

Nothing wrong with packing a single action.

And if you think you'll need more than six shots,

Just bring two.

Jim

Boolit Master
    I often carry a 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. Especially when it gets colder and people go nuts with the heavy clothing. So it's the 1911 for nice weather, and the Vaquero when it gets cold. Then there's the BUGs...

Boolit Master

I would hate to come up against the man who can use a SAA than some punk who holds a 45 auto sideways or some one who buys a semi auto for defense then never shoots it. I feel good with a SAA and do not feel undergunned. As far as coming across gangs if your going in them areas then you are better off with a PUMP shotgun or Semi Auto scatter gun. For what it is worth they called them Model 97's and 12's Trench guns because you could hold the trigger back and empty out a trench as fast as you could pump the gun. My Fighting shotgun is a 97.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Shoot what you think will save your ars when it counts. Practice with such gun often so it becomes second nature; an innate behavior where thought isn't necessary while under distress.

Think about this, how many cowboys and ranchers of the past used single action revolvers to save themselves, their families and their livelyhoods? Of course at that time there were fewer choices too.

As for me, a DA is the direction I would go..............if need be.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast