Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

View Poll Results: Do you think a SA revolver makes a good self-defense handgun?

Voters
971. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

335 34.50%
  • No. The fact that they are SA, have slow reloads, bulky hammers, etc… makes them a poor choice.

119 12.26%
  • If that is what you feel comfortable with then go for it.

517 53.24%
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Action revolvers for self-defense?

Boolit Master

I would have been craving a southbound bus!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    I had a guy point a machine gun at me back in the early 1980's, I held my Security Six 6" with 158 gr Speer semi jacketed hollow points ... I'd preferred a single action...
    While not a bad choice, if I had only a handgun, my druthers would be a 45 caliber N frame. If all I had was the Model P, okay but my druthers would be the revolver I am most familiar with using, the N frame.

Apparently, the outcome was sufficient unto the day. Glad you are still writng!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Mold
    You don't hear many stories like that. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your service as a LEO.

Boolit Master
    Just for the record, I put voted no. But it's better than a pointy stick, and even that is better than nothing!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Just for the record, I put voted no. But it's better than a pointy stick
    You're right. This isn't much better than a pointy stick....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1777.jpg  

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    I forget who has it on their tag line but it say something like this; one well placed shot is better than 500 misses.
    Whoever wrote that has never been under suppressive fire or seen it applied correctly.

I assure you, it's foolishness.

I think you're confusing military doctrine with civilian carry. Suppressive fire ? Are you some kind of nut ? You're responsible for every round you ever let go. I've seen and delivered tons of suppressive fire. I left military doctrine back on the battle field where it belongs. Now one shot is all I intend to deliver if I have to.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by suba View Post
    I think you're confusing military doctrine with civilian carry. Suppressive fire ? Are you some kind of nut ? You're responsible for every round you ever let go. I've seen and delivered tons of suppressive fire. I left military doctrine back on the battle field where it belongs. Now one shot is all I intend to deliver if I have to.
    I'm starting to wonder....

Boolit Grand Master

I'm some kind of nut but I don't consider suppressive fire a good component to a civilian SD plan. The only problem I have w/ carrying a SA revolver is concealment. Clothing and holster choice will be very important but I'd do it, am actually considering it for some situations. I'm more comfortable w/ a SA 1911 but don't think that choice is right for most folks either.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance

A single action will not work for self defense. As evidence--all the shooters who used it in the 1800's are dead, not one survived. Some of them got by with one for a while, but time caught up with them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    A single action will not work for self defense. As evidence--all the shooters who used it in the 1800's are dead, not one survived. Some of them got by with one for a while, but time caught up with them.
    One half of one percent of all humans ever born are still alive.

Therefore, I have a one half of one percent chance of living forever.

Boolit Master
    Figures don't lie, but liars can figure!
    Paul

Boolit Master
    my ruger vaqero in 44sp is my favorite carry gun fast simple and accurate!

I've carried my 4 5/8 bh in my truck for over a year; I work the farm with it, ride "pig patrol" on my horse with it and shoot several hundred rounds a week through it. It is my constant companion. I never had any qualms about using it as a sd weapon. Actuallu I still don't....
    I bought an officers model 1911 to use in my chl test. So I ran a bunch (800) or so rounds through it in the last month. I hooked it on my gun belt and carry it cross draw around the corner from my BH. I did this just to be comfortable with it...
    Now it is always with me. The BH has more punch and is more accurate at longer ranges, but the little 1911 will tear a 10 ring out out 20 yards if i focus. Even with concerted effort on speedy reloads for the bh and lots of practice the reloads for the 1911 are easily 2-3 times faster than with the BH. I can put the first shot on target a touch faster with the bh.
    I have ended up lugging around what my son calls a modified George Patton rig- a little 1911 and a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Silly? Sure. Would I feel ok with one or the other? yep.
    Will i leave the 1911 at home? Nope.
    Maybe just cause its new.
    Feeling foolish,
    Jason
    I do leave it at home when I ride/hunt from my horse... he is tolerant but no rock solid to gunshots from his back. The BH is much safer.
    Last edited by makicjf; 03-14-2012 at 10:30 AM.

My Colt SAA is what I'm best with when it comes to handguns. I have autos and DA revolvers but that sixgun in .44 special is like second nature for me to use. I have an Old West Reproductions shoulder holster for carrying under a jacket http://www.oldwestreproductions.com/...ails.cfm?id=47. If it was a manstopper 100 years ago it'll do it just as well today. The human body hasn't changed when it comes to stopping bullets. For ccw I load it with the Federal 200gr. lead hollow points. For Feild carry it's a hardcast 240gr. swc with 7.5 gr. Unique.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryp View Post
    My Colt SAA is what I'm best with when it comes to handguns. I have autos and DA revolvers but that sixgun in .44 special is like second nature for me to use. I have an Old West Reproductions shoulder holster for carrying under a jacket http://www.oldwestreproductions.com/...ails.cfm?id=47. If it was a manstopper 100 years ago it'll do it just as well today. The human body hasn't changed when it comes to stopping bullets. For ccw I load it with the Federal 200gr. lead hollow points. For Feild carry it's a hardcast 240gr. swc with 7.5 gr. Unique.
    Rick Bachman makes good stuff. I made things for him for several years. I see you are in Big Arm, the Riviera of the Flathead.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Actually I'm a couple of miles outside Big Arm on Walking Horse Lane. Live in an old log cabin on 15 acres with the wife,a couple of horses, 3 cats and 2 dogs.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryp View Post
    Actually I'm a couple of miles outside Big Arm on Walking Horse Lane. Live in an old log cabin on 15 acres with the wife,a couple of horses, 3 cats and 2 dogs.
    I had some friends that used to live up the hill on Walking Horse, back over 25 years ago. I think Jerry was the guy, don't remember the gals' name. Can't beat the view. I used to live in beautiful downtown Elmo, until I moved up to Somers, with the upper crust. I used to shoe horses with E.G. Smith down there.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    It may not be my first choice. I have one and have shot it some. I want to become better with it. I will be working on it this summer as it will be my hunting / woods bumming gun this fall. But even now, I think I could make it work well enough to survive an encounter with a bad guy. Indeed the nice single action pull would be an advantage at a longer range.

Someone who is experienced with a single action would certainly be able to make good use of it!!!!

Lots of people sit in arm chairs and comment.

Run what ya brung!!

HH

I recently had an experience that confirmed my thinking thta a decently profficient shot can do well with a single action in a SD situation. I shot my first cowboy match this weekend. Never played before, had fun but was pretty confused on the sequences the firts day. The second day I cut most of my times almost in half from the first day. I did have a miss from trying to hurry, though. But I digress. The sidematch was a dueling tree. Load 5, start low ready and who ever had the most knocked over at the end of 4 seconds moved on. I managed to stay damn near even with an experienced wild bunch shooter who was using his 1911. I was using a blackhawk. I tried to rush ( because I assumed he would be faster ) and missed a shot. My last shot which would have tied the match, came .02 seconds to late. I had the first hit on target. This was my first time and I held my own. In a non combat home defense, robbery, assault situation against presumably an inexperienced shooter I am certain 6 rounds of 45 colt could get it done. Reloads are a bit slow, but using speed strips and a honed cylinder I can dump and fill pretty quick. I practice a lot. And tactical reloads from cover in a prolonged encounter would keep the weapon always full.
    Just my thoughts
    Jason
    Jason

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast