RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

View Poll Results: Do you think a SA revolver makes a good self-defense handgun?

Voters
971. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

335 34.50%
  • No. The fact that they are SA, have slow reloads, bulky hammers, etc… makes them a poor choice.

119 12.26%
  • If that is what you feel comfortable with then go for it.

517 53.24%
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Action revolvers for self-defense?

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed, arguing microseconds makes little sense, and the difference is more likely to be between users than between handgun types. I think I got a little sidetracked like some others of us, but these conversations are always interesting and fun.

For the purposes of the original question, most people seem to agree that the SA is adequate for self-defense, especially if it's the type you are most comfortable with. Hard to argue with "use what you can hit with."

In a home defense situation, fast draw from a holster is irrelevant; you will most likely have the gun in your hand when you encounter the intruder. And the need to reload quickly in home-defense is unlikely.

But I have zip experience with concealed carry, a whole different world, and will keep my mouth shut on that area.

Bret, that's my point. Sorry, it did sound like a SA/DA comparison, but that was unintentional.
    What I meant to get across was I can move my hands pretty quickly, but it doesn't matter if I'm drawing a Vaquero or a Howitzer from a concealed holster, 0.05 seconds isn't going to make much difference, it'll be a dang slow draw.

I was dumbfounded when I put myself on the clock. I thought an ankle holster was ridiculous because of how long the draw would take. So I put myself on the clock...just over 3 seconds.
    Then I timed my normal carry SP101 with a jacket on...just over 3 seconds.
    Dang it! proved myself wrong again.

In Remebrance

No argument then. Personally I think when the real, actual, stinky poop hits the fan most people, even the "trained" ones, the game players, the guys that run a round of "Condition Yellow" or higher every waking moment, are going to do exactly what 99% of people do- they'll take a second or two to process the fact this is ACTUALLY happening. How long it takes to recover is going to vary and that will be a far bigger factor than SA, DA, auto with a dozen mags or fancy lasers and all the soopercooltacticalextreme gear. Been there. Even when you KNOW ahead of time you might be running into trouble it still takes a sec to process things.

Boolit Master

And that "second" to process things scares the dickens outa me. I've been in that moment a couple of times. When I was lucky it was a false alarm. But not always . . . and that's a horrible place to be.

A friend of mine and I have drilled/practiced to try to cut down or eliminate this point. Hope it worked!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy

While i carry a G-20 daily now, but years ago I started carrying a SA Ruger 44.

Given proper training, practice and mindset, i'd say that a SA revolver is just as valid as any other choice, and better than some.

Also, i don't think anyone has mentioned the caliber choices available with a SA, beats a 380 all to hell. A 44 mag loaded with good 44 specials will be quite controlable, and put more power on target than a 45 with the right load.

A friend and i were batching together at my camp for a while, and most nights we spent shooting out back with 44 sa's, busting rocks, reloading contests, sprinting then firing and reloading, ect. We would shoot 2-300 rounds a night, and reload it during the day with the old keith load of a 240 gr slug at 1100-1200 fps. Got pretty good at it. He also had a smith DA that would kick the hell out of you with the same load that the SA 's were a pleasure to shoot.
    I do think capacity and quick reloads are a great thing, but the effect of a SA on the average shooter is to make them focus.

I'd not feel unarmed with a nice Stainless ruger SA in 44, with a selection of ammo and a good holster. I might miss the glock for reloads..but a good 44 is hard to beat. In fact, I am looking for one for a stash gun.
    I aslo find it a little funny that people think an SA is hard to conceal, but whatever, the way people carry and how much comfort varied greatly.

Choose a weapon, carry it daily, practice and train hard, exercise your mental muscles, and you will likely be OK, regardless of the weapon you choose. And if not, who says the weapon itself was the "wrong' one, many things go south in a fight.

Boolit Master
    Just ran across this:

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

I'm more accurate but slower with SA.
    Also need small and light for CC.
    Would feel better if my first shot was a 250K SWC at 1000fps,
    but a 180 JHP .40 at 1000 would be close enough.
    Never tried concealing my 7½" SBH, might give it a try.
    Hope I wouldn't "wedgie" myself snagging drawers with the tall front sight!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    ...Hope I wouldn't "wedgie" myself snagging drawers with the tall front sight!...
    Thanks for the laugh!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Just ask who volunteers to be shot with it! Any gun you have is beter than the one you wished you had.

Of course the first rule of gun fighting is to bring a gun. Or have it with you all of the time, whatever you like or have available to carry. Handguns are carried when we don't believe there is going to be trouble. We can conduct our daily business relatively unencumbered while carrying one. When we expect trouble or see it far enough in the future we can arm ourselves with a rifle or shotgun or leave. Being alert and avoidance are the best defenses. Most of the people I've seen shot have been shot with .22s, .25s and every gauge of shotgun but 10 gauge. A surprising number of the shotguns were single shots and they ended fights with that one shot.

So this is an interesting question, but in the end, carry what you like or have. I don't think anyone's mind has been changed.

Last night on Wed Nite at the Range on the Outdoor Channel,, Larry Potterfield did his "test" to see how a Ruger Blackhawk in .45LC "stacked up" against other guns as a conceiled carry gun

It got a score of around 650 which is not too bad. Many Semiautos in smaller calibers don't even fair this well

I have to say his test criteria leaves something to be desired, mainly due to him only using only one hand in he test. It took him nearly 2 seconds to get off the first shot and he only got off one more shot in 3 Seconds!

I can easily get off two shots onto a pie plate at 5 yds in 1.5 seconds with my Glock from the holster, and easily get 5 more into the plate in 3 more seconds... With 2 hands.

I would think any Cowboy shooter should be able to get pretty close to my speed with a SA using two hands.

I think this is an appropriate point to make for this thread, and shows in a manner, that any gun willl do, if you will do!

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-29-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    after all 1 well placed shot is what you always hear
    now all of a sudden humans take more to dispatch than say a deer
    I don't think so.........................
    in order to defend yourself you need to be quick draw Mcgraw
    or be able to do a double tap
    lets see those test done while they are wiping sleep out of their eyes
    and scratching their azzez
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I agree W. E. but,,, I think getting hit anywhere by a 250 gr bullet from a .45 would still take the fight right out of you, and it might even make you hold still so you could be shot again.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I've carried my SA .45 Colt clone 4.75" bbl. on occasion for CCW but I'd prefer a 9mm or a .45ACP. The SA fits my concealed carry vest as does most of my handguns. For CCW I now carry my 9mm with extra 10 round mag. My pistol has an 8 round mag with one in the tube plus I carry 5 extra rounds in the vest.

If you're comfortable with carrying a SA for protection, then by all means do it. I've only heard of one fella living after being shot 6 times with a .45 Colt. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

First of all I'd like to wish each and every one of you a safe and happy 2012.

I used to carry a P7 which I liked a lot but sold it to pay some bills. I don't carry every day but when I do it's my FA 454. I load cast and don't ever feel under gunned.

For the record I was a Vietnam Combat Marine who started shooting when I was about six years old. I don't shoot a lot anymore, but I'm comfortable behind a trigger and if needed willing to do what's needed in a defensive situation.

If it is the gun you have - I know, rare on here - then use it for what you need to. By saying that they are no good and you should never do so is saying that you should never use it for anything but the target range.

I ALWAYS have my keltek on on me - anywhere it is legal. But if I'm out hunting or knocking around the farm in La. and am assaulted by 2 or 4 legged varmints, the gun I reach for will be the one on my belt - SA or DA or semi-auto. Depending on what I'm doing, that could be a Ruger .22 Auto, a Single-six in .22 or .32, a Blackhawk, various K-frame, N-frame or X-frame Smiths, a 1911 in 9mm or .45, or my Sig P-6.

Understand - the primary purpose of a sidearm in defensive situations is to fight your way to a rifle.

Boolit Mold
    If it is on my hip, as it often is during hunting season, and the need arises, what else would you use it for? I hope not a hammer in camp.

Boolit Master
    Would never be MY first choice, but anyone who thnks they can't be fast and accurate needs to attend a cowboy action match sometime.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

I carry a nm blackhawk 45 (acp or colt depending on the day) everywhere I go, ride the horse or drive. I shoot several hundred rounds a week through it. Though not a SASS competitor I can shoot pretty quick and accuratley(faster and more accuratley than I can empty my wifes da .38 shooting da). The SA points like a finger of god from the leather, and can deliver serious power in a heart beat. reloading, though not as fast as an auto or a speedloader in a DA, can be accomplished with decent speed with practice. And practicing "tactical" reloads is something I do every day. I live in a rural area and work at a University,thus I'm more likely to have to pop a feral hog or kill a coyote than confront a street thug. However, if I lived in a higher risk area, I would carry 2 BH's (plus the 12 rounds on my belt and the 4-6 in the 50 caliber black powder tubes as "speed loads"). I am comfortable and confident this weapon will serve me well if I practice and use my head. Using one gun all the time seems better than carrying an auto or snubby da in town and another on the farm. I also think a big bore revolver, with the cowboy look, may inspre a bit of shock and awe and perhaps provide a bit more detterence when pulled than a snubby
    JMO,
    jason
    Last edited by makicjf; 01-12-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I do not like Double Action one bit:

1. The trigger pull is too long and when I have shot them my reaction during the trigger pull is "Will this gun never fire?".
    2. I shoot mostly rifle and the single action more closely matches the trigger pull on my rifles than does a Double Action. With a single action I can accurately guess when the gun will fire, not so with a Double Action. It drives me fruit.
    3. A friend of mine shoots two shots, one each into two different targets, in 1.4 seconds. Good enough for me. He uses a single action derringer.
    4. Although we tend to think of cowboy shooting as just quirky gun play, there is a lot to learn as that shooting is mainly self defense skills.
    5. I have traded in all my DA and DA/SA pistols for SA and I am extremely happy with the results.

My best analysis for which to carry is to carry the pistol you love best, the one you shoot most. That pistol matches your hand and your shooting style.

As far as speed goes, Bill Hickok said it best: "Speed is good, accuracy is final".
    Last edited by Texantothecore; 01-16-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Boolit Man

Single action revolvers for self defense?

You bet! There's nothing like a heavy cast SWC to take the starch out of badguy.A single action will do just that,and one well aimed shot is all that,s needed .I used to shoot PPC matches with Ruger Blackhawks in .357 and .45 Colt and never won the matches because of the slowness in reloading but my aggregate scores for the course was always better than the DA or Semi-Auto shooters.I knew I couldn't put as much lead downrange but what I did send counted.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast