RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Do you think a SA revolver makes a good self-defense handgun?

Voters
971. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

335 34.50%
  • No. The fact that they are SA, have slow reloads, bulky hammers, etc… makes them a poor choice.

119 12.26%
  • If that is what you feel comfortable with then go for it.

517 53.24%
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Action revolvers for self-defense?

Boolit Master
    I started with a SA 41years ago so am must comfortable with that type action.

Boolit Master
    I'm guessing that in real life, as opposed to TV gunfights, it's all over with just a couple of shots exchanged before both parties retreat or one falls. Exception being the gangsta with his AK.
    But living near Detroit I have a Ruger SR9 with two magazines ready at home (51 rounds). My summer carry is a Ruger LCP (two mags), and winter carry a Walther PK380.
    Last edited by wallenba; 12-28-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Groo here
    In some states [I think Texas is one] you need to show that shooting more than one shot
    was necessary [to the judge]
    It has suggested that a single action [being required to be cocked for each shot]
    forces you to stop and observe the threat to see if another is needed..
    otherwise most single actions are smaller/lighter than a similar cal double action,
    like a New Vaquero in 357-44spec or 45colt

Boolit Master

You stop shooting when the threat is neutralized--end of that story.
    If the BG falls down and still has a grasp on a weapon and attempts to raise it in your direction he gets shot a gain--end of that story.
    If he is going down and can still point it at you he gets shot again.
    Come on ! this is real life here, If I have to use my 45 ACP it's a no questions asked double tap. center mass.
    Don't ever go anyplace with a gun that you wouldn't go without a gun.
    Don't be a hero
    That said if you carry a SA pistol you dam well better know your limitations.
    You can't always pick and choose and dead is for a long time.
    I here all this talk about how good every one is, well how good is that ?
    A bad day can happen at night, in the morning, in the dark, and most times when you are not expecting it. Could be One person, two or three or what ever.
    Going with the statistics could make you a statistic. Unless your shot is a total instant
    incapacitation the fight is not over, and don't believe everybody runs at the first shot.
    IMHO- is SA handgun a good self defense weapon ? Sure is if everyone has the same SA.
    and your dam good with yours, I mean really good.
    Why be out gunned in a gun fight ? why give the BG an edge.
    A good wheel gun with extra speed loaders or a semi auto with at least 2 extra mags.
    and always retreat if you can but if you can't you are in for the time of your life.
    A shoot out is a shoot out, civilian, LEO, or military.
    How many carry a SA pistol ? How many don't have extra ammo?
    That is just my thought, you may do what ever you want, Just do it safely.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    In some states [I think Texas is one] you need to show that shooting more than one shot
    was necessary [to the judge]
    It has suggested that a single action [being required to be cocked for each shot]
    forces you to stop and observe the threat to see if another is needed..
    otherwise most single actions are smaller/lighter than a similar cal double action,
    like a New Vaquero in 357-44spec or 45colt
    Can you cite the statute on that?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

to hear some people talk I need a beta c mag or I can't even walk out of the house.
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with Bret. Stay away from dangerous situations. Home invasion? I typically answer the door with a handgun in my hand, but a determined effort would (probably) take me every time. Are you willing to live your life in body armor with an M4 in your arms? With a sixgun on my hip I'm better armed and better prepared than at least 95% of the population. Spending my time in a suitably grim urban environment might prompt me to upgrade to a Glock or 1911 plus 2 mags, but not if I could follow Bret's rules.....meanwhile, a single action lends great comfort.

Boolit Master

I like many have to say that it would not be my first choice, but then you with SA 45 Long colt, vs me with empty hands, I think you can feel safer!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

For self defense, Anything I have ammo for, Loaded guns first.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Banned
    90 percent of the time, way out here, I carry a 5 1/2 SBH in 44 mag.

If I am going into town and think about it, The 1911 goes with, if not, the sbh does.

I carry more for controling any wild hogs that I run across than anything else.

Boolit Grand Master

Far ahead of harsh language!

For the first 5 or 6 you can be hell on wheels but if you need a number 7 it will be a LONG
    time coming.

Personal choice, have at it.

MY personal choice is a 1911 most of the time.

chaos - just keep in mind that sometimes those "wild hogs" walk on
    their hind legs. . . . .

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    The most important factor when involved in a gun fight is to have a gun.
    It also helps to have a cool head and the presence of mind to WATCH THAT FRONT SIGHT!
    The rest of the details are not nearly as important, unless maybe if you are in Afghanistan.

I can't carry a single action revolver even on my own time due to department policy. However, if I could, I wouldn't feel under armed with a number of different single action revolvers. The first that comes to mind is one of the new Ruger Sheriff's .44 Specials with a nice heavy Keith SWC or WFN loaded to 1000 fps or so. I'm one of those people who always carries a backup gun. If I were to carry a SA revolver as my "primary", I'd choose either a DA revolver or perhaps a compact auto (like a S&W 3953) as my BUG. Most gun fights won't require more than six shots, and in the event I was unlucky enough to find myself in one, drawing a second gun is faster than reloading just about anything. I'm a big fan of the .44 Special, and the total lack of DA carry friendly .44 Specials that can stand up to stout loads makes the SA revolvers appealing as carry weapons.

I recently was involved in a surveillance operation where we were pretty sure the suspects were armed and willing to fight. I did my shift armed with three handguns (my issued Glock 23 and my personally owned SP101 .357 and S&W 432PD) and my department issued Mini-14. I had 60 rounds of ammunition for the Mini and a total of 54 rounds of handgun ammunition at my disposal. Thankfully I didn't need any of it. That is not the kind of situation where I would choose a single action revolver. On the other hand, for general carry duties where even needing a gun is unlikely, I would feel perfectly comfortable with a SA revolver as my primary weapon.
    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Landric

Honcho for NOE .38-200 Mk. I British Round Nose Group Buy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    Can you cite the statute on that?
    No one will because it isn't in TX statute--thankfully. I cant speak for other states, but we dont have this specific nonsense on our books.

Boolit Master
    If you can hit with it then I think its OK. I have been carrying a Glock 9mm with CorBon 115 grain loads for many years. Spent most of my time in the big city. Now living in the country. Recently saw a video of a black bear eating a deer that had been hit by a car. The deer was still alive as the bear ate his guts. We have bears around here. Thinking of switching to a Ruger New Vaquero in 44 Special with Elmer's loading.

There is no concealed carry in this sorry state of Illinois.
    But if and when we do get it then I will carry my Glock.

I love my .45 single action guns and prefer shooting them over the Glock.
    But from what I've read over the years about police shoot outs.
    With the adrenalin flowing from the encounter and being shot at and trying to return accurate fire, and trying to find something to take cover behind, it is quite difficult to hit your target.

Being a regular citizen I have not the experience of an armed encounter.
    Except for military training, which to me is a different animal all together.
    You know you're going to get shot at and are ready to return fire.

So I figure the first couple of my shots might miss the intended target.
    I would prefer a semi-auto as a measure of assurance of having enough shots to protect myself.

I seem to remember a shootout (I believe it happened in the 70s ) between FBI agents and some para-military (?) group.
    The agents had revolvers the group had rifles.
    While behind their car for cover one of the agents was wounded and was trying to reload his revolver when one of the gunmen came around the side of the car and shot him dead.

I've always remembered this and I would rather have 15 .40 cal rounds and not have to use them all rather than just 6 shots no matter what caliber.

But to each their own, everyone has their own thoughts and ideas, this is just mine.

Boolit Master

SAA VS 1911 If you cannot get it done with 5 or 6 shots what makes ya think ya can get it done with 9?
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

2ndAmendmentNut

If you shoot the vaquero well and are comfortable shooting it in high stress situations, then by all means. Guns of that configuration have always pointed well for me, and being able to hit quickly with the first shot is worth more than having to count on a reload because the first cylinder full had no effect.

Boolit Master

S/A For self Defense

As I type this I'm wearing a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I was crawling around in the thickets earlier today trying to shoot a deer. I don't feel the need to put on my 1911 now that hunting is over.
    Its been mentioned a couple of times in this thread that in high stress situations, fine motor skills go away. True, but in a gunfight you're not going to be trying to rebuild a wristwatch. What you will do is revert to training and muscle memory. If you practice and compete with a Single Action pistol, it will be natural for you to respond appropriately. If you don't practice, it doesn't matter what you're packing.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

pipehand

I like the analogy about the wristwatch. I am a retired State Policeman and have seen the results of the man with a gun he was familiar with as opposed to the one who was not. There were a couple of chaps in remote Alaska who got in a dispute at a village spring, one lad started filling the air with lead from an Uzi, the other fellow returned fire with a 2 1/2 " model 19 S&W, his first shot was a 10X, right through the heart. Tactical situation solved.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast