RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 7.62x54 and Unique...

Boolit Master

7.62x54 and Unique...

Ok, I've read the above sticky article. But wasn't very clear in my mind. So what is the "go to" load for a 130g and 115g boolits and Unique in similar size cartridges???
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 5-8 grains of Unique in 7.62x54r with boolits in that wt range, and have excellent accuracy out to 50 yards or so.

Boolit Grand Master

In these large milsurp bottle neck cartridges the std load is 10 gr Unique under any
    cast boolit. Another excellent std load is 16 gr 2400 and Ed Harris has touted 13 gr
    of Red Dot as his universal load. The 7.62x39 and Carcano are much smaller case
    volume so these would need to be reduced, but 7.7Jap, 8x57, 7x57, .30-06, etc
    will all digest these low pressure pistol powder loads and very often produce outstanding
    accuracy with near zero recoil.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Hey Bill, I ended up going with the load out of the Lyman Book for the 30-06 (14g Unique Starting Load). I'm not over max am I?

I've always though of unique as one of those powders that, for the most part, the amount of powder you put in translates directly into how much power you get out.... I.e. Case volume is not critical...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    The lightest bullet I shoot in 7.62X54r is the Lee C309-160 beagled to .312 over 12gr. Salut or Unique. Accuracy is great out to 100yd.

Charlie

Beekeeper
    You can use any load listed for the 30-06 in the 7.62x54R as they are almost the same cartridge.
    On the 200 grain Lyman 314299 boolit I use 13.5 gr unique and it seems to be a good load out to 100 yards as that is as far as I have gone

On the 180 gr Lee I have used 22 gr IMR4198 with good results

As with all loads you need to work up to what is best for your gun.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I use 11.5 unigue in mine with a 314299. It will shoot all day at the still plates at 200. Unique is my go to load for the Rusky and my old 1917 30 06> Mike

Boolit Grand Master

If Lyman says it is OK, it should be OK. I start with 10 Unique and run up a bit to see what
    the accuracy does. Very often between 10 and 15 or so I get great groups. Case
    volume is not critical, but we are talking about a class of cartridges that were designed
    to do approximately the same thing with approximately the same powder technology, so
    they (.30-06, 76.2x54R, 7.7 Jap, 7.65 Arg, 7x57, 8x57, etc) are not dramatically different
    in volume. Now - a 6.5x52 Carcano has a bunch less case volume, just by looking at one
    alongside a .30-06 case - so let's be reasonable and start with more like 7 or 8 gr Unique.
    Clearly a .30 Carbine is NOT in this class, for example.

Use some good judgement here, guys. Unique is pretty forgiving but let's be careful.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

7.62x54 12 grains unique

What velocities are you getting with this load?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adk Mike View Post
    I use 11.5 unigue in mine with a 314299. It will shoot all day at the still plates at 200. Unique is my go to load for the Rusky and my old 1917 30 06> Mike

velocity

What is the velocity?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
    The lightest bullet I shoot in 7.62X54r is the Lee C309-160 beagled to .312 over 12gr. Salut or Unique. Accuracy is great out to 100yd.

Charlie

Boolit Buddy
    Velocity ? I don't really know. I'd guess 1300 hundred or so. One thing I do know easy on the shoulder. I'm not all beat up after shooting 50 rounds. If I raise the sight it'll shoot well past 200 at the steel swingers. Just a fun load to shoot. Mike

8-10g unique is good for Plain base bullets in the 7.62 x 54 and 30-06.When i go much higher and closer to 1300 fps accuracy degrades for me.Psitol primers work well in those cases with Unique and bullseye no fillers or wads needed.

George

Boolit Man
    I use 11.0 grains of Unique, Rem 9-1/2 primers with the Lyman 314299 200 grain bullet at .314" diameter in my 91-30. This load clocks at 1234.2 fps and the extreme spread was 24.7 fps.

This load in my 91-30 is very accurate. Before my aging eyes start blurring up the sight picture, I can hold 1/2" groups at fifty yards. If I continue to shoot because it is soooo fun, the groups start to creep up to the 3/4" at fifty yards.

I get my best groups when I roll the cartridge on the bench, putting the powder in the bottom of the cartridge in the horizontal position. I try to lift the cartridge holding it horizontally into the chamber and fire. This is when shooting off a bench.