MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: 311466

Boolit Buddy

Picked it up at a yard sale for $10. Can anyone give me any information on it?

I think it's a .30 caliber for either 30 carbine or 7.62x39, but I'm not sure.

311466 152g (GC)

from Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    snowman:

Lyman/Ideal #311466 was the middle one of a series of three bullets designed - mostly for the .30-'06 - by H. Guy Loverin and first shown in Ideal Handbook No. 38, of 1951; semi-round point gas check bullets with long bearing surface and multiple grease grooves, nominal weights 125 (#311465), 150 (-466) and 175 (-467) grs. They are considered "classic" bullets for those barrels that they fit correctly (nominal as-cast diameter in No. 2 alloy, .313", "U"-prefix versions of -466 and -467 cast .310; as usual, though, actual cast diameter depends on alloy, casting temperature, technique - and how worn the mould cherry was when they were cut). Your #311466 was last listed in the 1998 Lyman Annual Products Catalog. (#311465 was dropped as a regular list item after 1974, but was carried as a special order mould through 1978; #311467 lasted through 1990.) You've got a quite desirable mould, and a "steal" at that price; but what it fits will depend mostly on as-cast vs. groove and throat diameters in your rifles.

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the help. Now I just have to get a rifle to fit it.

That's how it works right?

Boolit Buddy
    Why is this particular mold better for the 30-06 as compared to say, a 30-30 or some other 30 caliber rifle?

Is the point too sharp for a tube magazine?

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I did see this mould recommended for .30/30 in one old Lyman manual. I have one, and early indications are that my .30 Rem. M141 pump likes it. Not too worried about a tube explosion because of Pedersen's spiral magazine tube in the M141. Also, when seating for a Marlin 336, I use a flat seating screw, which does a very neat job of putting a small meplat on the boolit while seating!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    You guys are WAY TOO easy on Snowman!!!
    Aren't ya spozed ta say "it is no good,send it to me,I will give you your $10.00 back!But NO,youz all actin like gentlemens should and handin out good advice!
    Great job,once again!LOL...

Boolit Bub
    Snowman,
    the rifling is the key: the Loverin design bullets (as your 311466) work at best in rifles that have a rifling of broad grooves and narrow bands as the Springfield and Garand (the Krag too, I think).
    Rifles like Enfield P17, Mosin, Sks, that have grooves and bands of equal width prefer long nose and short body bullets (like 311299).
    That bullet is too heavy for 30 carbine and not too confortable for 7.62x39 (being all body, this boolit is too long to avoid to be seated very deep in the case).
    So, if you have to buy a rifle for the mould, keep in mind what told; if still have the rifle and the mould doesn't fit it...... mine 311466 is ruined and isn't able (no more) to cast well........

I had my DC 311466 opened up to throw .315 in WW for .303 British.

Also had one of the cavities made into a truncated FN.

Both shoot VERY well in the .303 British with a 5 groove barrel (50/50 land/groove).
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Can anyone give me any information on it?
    That is a very accurate 150 gr. boolit in my .30-30's (loaded single-shot due to the round nose) and also in any .30-06 I tried it in.

I picked up a 12-cavity gang mold version of this late one night on an E-bay "buy it now" angry wife divorce sale for $5.00...then the alarm went off and time to get up for work..

Reality

newtire,
    Now that is funny!
    You had me going till the punch line.
    DaveP

Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=Newtire;119838]That is a very accurate 150 gr. boolit in my .30-30's (loaded single-shot due to the round nose) and also in any .30-06 I tried it in.

Try loading 2 if it concerns you, 1 in the chamber and one in the tube. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

2-shooter

[QUOTE=MT Gianni;119858]
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Try loading 2 if it concerns you, 1 in the chamber and one in the tube. Gianni.
    Why didn't I think of that!?