Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Building Obsolete Cases

Boolit Grand Master

Building Obsolete Cases

I am spending the day buillding up some more cases for the Remington rimless rifles I have. I took rimmed 30-30 cases and made them into 25-30 and 32 Remington. There are no more 32 and 25 made and the 30's are rare as hens teeth so I use W/W 30-30 brass. I have a couple cutters for the lathe and I first cut the rims off just under the base diameter of the case. Then i use another cutter to cut in the rebated rim. This is all done with jigs so the new rims are within 2 thousands of each other, somewhat better than factory. Then it's off to the dies and each case is sized in the appropriate die and a cast bullet is seated so when the round is chambered the ogive of the bullet pushed against the rfiling. This seats the case back into the breech tight for fire forming. Then I fire form each case with 7.5 grains of Red Dot. After fire forming the cases are cleaned and polished and are ready to go.

For hunting I load IMR 3031 or RX7 and run a 170 grain bullet to 2000 2100 in the 30 and 32. I am currently stockpiling 25's as I am seriously looking for a 25 Model 8 for my modest collection.

Generous Donator

Somebody like Remington still makes occasional runs of 30 and 32 Rem cases. I see them at gun shows every so often. They aren't real cheap however. Not sure what else are made as I look for those 2 for some reloading friends I know.

Boolit Grand Master

Midway has 32 rem cases in stock, are a bit pricey though!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Just went to Midway site, 32 Rem and 25 Rem brass in stock, Quality cartridge manufacture pricey at 35.00 / 20 rounds. They do have Remington mamufactured 30 Remington brass in stock and it isn't priced too bad 47.00/100.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Mold
    My local guy (Beecroft's) has plenty of new .30 rem hanging on the wall, the price seemed to be in line with his other new brass. I know I have seen them here and there on-line.

I do admire what you are doing though. This is the sort of thing I'm shooting at doing.

Boolit Master
    Last I saw, Huntington's had Remington .30 Rem brass for sale. However it is good to know that it can be made from .30-30, if necessary.

Boolit Grand Master
    As stated, there are limited runs on the brass you mention. There are several more uncommon calibers that are done on a limited basis as well. I find that .30-40 Krag is in the same category now.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Way to go! Yankee ingenuity at it's best.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes sometimes you can buy it some places but if you need it right now...

I just wanted to show what could be done if you were bulll headed enough. I have some Graf's 30-Remington cases and some loaded ammo from different manufactures. I did need some cast bullet deer loads right away and didn't have time to wait for fresh brass.

Boolit Grand Master

"There are no more 32 and 25 made and the 30's are rare as hens teeth so I use W/W 30-30 brass."

OK, just making sure you knew Midway had all three in stock and ready to ship.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

KSCO
    Can you give us a picture of your setup to mass trim with accuracy? Just curious.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a deal to me, need always brings out the best in a man. Way to go KSCO!
    Frank G.

would necking down 35 rem cases work , might save some lathe work , unless your like me and just enjoy working with your lathe

Boolit Master

35 remmy brass is different head diameter than the 30 and 25.

Boolit Buddy
    KCSO: I have 23 of the 25 Rem cases laying on my bench, Pay the shipping and they are
    yours. Glad someone can use them. PM me and let me know.
    Dave

Boolit Master
    wish i had a lathe... for VARIOUS reasons..
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

for what it's worth , There is a supply of 30 rem cases that have been fired available. $23 per hundred plus shipping in a small FRB. I'd be happy to send some.

I am sorry , they are all gone.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 11-18-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: All gone

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Upstate Matt View Post
    My local guy (Beecroft's) has plenty of new .30 rem hanging on the wall, the price seemed to be in line with his other new brass. I know I have seen them here and there on-line.

I do admire what you are doing though. This is the sort of thing I'm shooting at doing.
    Used to go to Beecrofts a lot years back when I lived down that way. Never could figure out why all those guys down there close so early.

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    for what it's worth , There is a supply of 30 rem cases that have been fired available. $23 per hundred plus shipping in a small FRB. I'd be happy to send some.
    I would like some a PM has been sent.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    35 remmy brass is different head diameter than the 30 and 25.
    good to know I like it when I learn something new