Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: lead alloy and mixes

Boolit Master

lead alloy and mixes

I just scored 100 lbs of plumbers lead for 30.00!!!!!!!!!

That being said, I want to make pre-mixed, fluxed ingots to drop into my 10 lb pot. Since i really dont have a "system", i was wondering how yall prep and mix lead. I will pour these into 1lb ingots.

i cast for muzzleloader, all types pistol, 30 cal rifle.

i have 130 lbs linotype, 55 lbs wheelweights, and now 100 pounds of plumbers lead!! i use three different pots, one for each type of weapon i cast for.

So, as i said, what would be a good recipe for rifle and pistol (38 spl - 44 mag)? one recipe for each, of course. i will be mixing in a dutch oven that holds around 50 pounds.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    These links may help you out with some general info:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

and

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Boolit Master
    I would keep the most of it separated so I could alloy up whatever I need.
    Once mixed , you can't unmix it.
    Lino to pure lead 50/50 will make 2-6-92 ( Taracorp Magnum or aka "Hardball" ) which is probably harder than you would need for a handgun load , but is what commercial bullet casters use .
    So 1 lino to 3 leads would be great casting mix for plinking up to medium magnum loads.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    i made up a trial mix of 1 lb lino, 3 1/2 lb ww, and 5 lbs pb. i just poured some ingots and some 450 gr 45-70 rnpb boolits to test. i will test at 2 hours, 2 days and 1 week to see how they do. i also water quenched and air cooled two batches to see how that changes the hardness. i left the rest in seperate ingots to be mixed later. i guess my air cooled will be around 10 bhn and the water dropped will be around 18 or 19 bhn. just my guess until i can test.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    couldn't wait any longer. first was the air cooled boolit. 9.2 bhn (excellent for 45-70 trapdoor IMO). Second was the water quenched boolit. 20.8 bhn. YAAY!!!! Exactly what I think i need. I know they will harden some yet with age, but i think we got a winner.

Boolit Master
    Even the air cooled boolits will age harden. Slower and not nearly as much as the WCs though.
    I like using more tin. It seems that 2% not only casts easily , it is tougher , especially in hollow points.
    I used 3% tin with some pure lead on my PP 44 mag boolits. They felt hard to the findernail but expanded awesomly in a water test.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    As Lwknight said, definitely keep them separate and mix small batches until you hit the right combination. Generally I use 50/50 PB and WWs. Or PB with 12% lino mix in. Either one works well in my 30-30s.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"