MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Difficulty seating bullets

Boolit Man

Difficulty seating bullets

Perhaps some one could answer this question for me. I an loading for my 50-70 . I expand the case neck but the bullet still catches the edge of the case. If Ii run the plug all the way down I still have the problem but the bullet seems loose. The bullets are sized .515.
    Thanks

Boolit Bub
    i guess everyones first question is who made the expander plug you are using , if its a rcbs are you going far enough to flare the case mouth

Boolit Buddy
    hey maybe this will help
    you may not be flaring the case neck most expander dies have a two step process the first does just that it expands the case neck the second flares the very end on the case neck to let the bullet start in the case and eliminate the shaving problem that you have
    hope this helps
    mule

Boolit Master

Chech thediamiter of the expander plug. If it leaves the bullet loose when the case is expanded, something is off. I use the M die in my two die sets, and expand enough to just start the base in the case before butting the case in the shell holder.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Man
    The dies are Lyman. The bullet is the same diameter as the expanding plug, both are .515.
    I did expand past the third shoulder.

Don't size the fired cases. Put a tiny little flare on the mouth with some needle nose pliers. Can you thumb press the bullet in? How does it feel? If it's not floppy loose then just put a light taper crimp on the mouth of the case and you're done. If it's tight then the bullet is too big.

Boolit Man
    I need all of the .515 so I will try your suggestion. As an aside is it possible to neck size straight cases?

Boolit Master

Wink

fiatmom,

+1 don't size....just run the expander in to make the case mouth round, and finger seat boolit...then crimp just enough to hold the boolit.

Buffalo Arms makes a Custom Expander...get one .002" oversized for the upper portion, and .001 undersized on the lower end. This will make a slip fit to start and neck tension to hold, when seated, if that's what you're looking for.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17