Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ponsness/Warren?

Boolit Master

Ponsness/Warren?

Hello, Does anyone out there use a Ponsness/Warren Metal-Matic P200 progressive loader? Thanks.

P-200

I have a Ponsnes-Warren Metal-Matic P200....a great press for pistol reloading...currently loading 45LC and 45ACP.. a flawless reloading tool that gets little attention from the reloading fraternity.

Boolit Master

I use one. Set up for 38 Spec. / 44 Mag / 41 mag. (I have an extra die platen). My powder dispensers are RCBS Little Dandy's. Works really well. Only for straight wall pistol cases. High quality machine.

I'd like to get the auto priming system. Ozark Howler, do you have the priming system? If so, do you like it / does it work well?

Boolit Master
    I have never touched one . But I have heard nothing but good about them.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I was looking online at these. How hard is it to change calibers and how does it com[pare to the Dillon and Hornady systems?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I was looking online at these. How hard is it to change calibers and how does it com[pare to the Dillon and Hornady systems?
    Thats the beauty of this machine. You don't have to "change" calibers. The Die platen (Looks like a turret) has a total of 10 holes. The turret does not move. The shell holder rotates on a swing arm around the center axis of the machine, and moves from one die to the next. Five of the ten die "holes" (on one-half of the turret) are for each of the two calibers you set up.

When you want to switch calibers, you unbolt the die platen (turret) from the top of the machine, rotate it 180 degrees, bolt it back down, and switch out the shell holder on the swing arm. If the two calibers in the platen are already set up, the caliber conversion takes maybe 2 minutes.

Also, if you want to reload more than 2 calibers, you can buy a spare die platen (50 bucks retail), and set it up in the calibers you want. Again, it takes just a couple minutes to change out. -- PW describes the P-200 as a "semi-progressive" machine.

Boolit Master

i have a p&w p200 with a extra tool head and a optional semi /auto primer feed assy its a die body with a primer tube thats under spring tension , just push down on the tube and it depenses a primer in the primer ram cup.
    i ve had it for years bought it before the dillions came out , now i have both , i now only use it for less used cartrages that would cost to much to buy the dillion conversion kits for.
    i orgionaly had a rcbs lil dandy powder measure , with modfied expander dies . i sold it and now use the dillon powder die & powder measure.
    its a good machine works pretty good but its not as fast or versitle as the dillon 550b ! but its fast enough for most people! but with the semi auto primer feed , dillon powder measure and putting the dies in a different configuration than stated in the instructions ,you can easily load 300 rounds a hour. ive even loaded 223 and 308 useing all ready sized cases in a c press and just seating the primer / dropping the powder charge and seating the bullet before i had the dillon
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 11-17-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    ive even loaded 223 and 308 useing all ready sized cases in a c press and just seating the primer / dropping the powder charge and seating the bullet before i had the dillon
    I thought you had to buy their larger press (whatever it is called ) to do rifle.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I thought you had to buy their larger press (whatever it is called ) to do rifle.
    The P-200 is not really designed for necked cartridges...especially rifle. But, as it was said already, you can load some rifle if you resize on another machine first.

The bigger PW machine that loads full size rifle is the Metal-Matic II. It is an "H" style press. really nice, but is expensive.

Check out -- http://reloaders.com/index.php

Boolit Buddy
    in the 70-80's i had a PW for 12 ga. and every so often it would jam as the handle refused to go down. i would start to tear it apart and get half way thru and the light bulb would go off in my head and sure enough there would be a loaded rd. that rolled off the pile of loaded rds. and come to rest under the handle thus jamming it. finally i cut a hole in my bench so the loaded rds would fall thru the hole into a box w/an old pair of jeans to cushion the fall. i don't remember the model # but it was their top of the line and i have regretted many times having to sell it. it went thru red dot so fast i had a keg of it hanging from the ceiling w/a garden hose running into the powder hopper. to this day i can hear the "ding" it made everytime a loaded rd was ejected and hit the exit chute. sorry to ramble but lying here recovering from back surgery w/too much time to think about stuff.

Boolit Master
    I too own a p-200 i bought new,and it is perfect for pistol brass.

i also have loaded many thousands of 308,30-06,270 and quite a few 300 win magnums.not all just neck sized .it is my go to machine for my 7.5x55 loading.
    the manufacturer recomends it only for pistol,and im sure i will wear it out;but i think not this decade or next.i would love to break something on this press,it just has not happened yet.

the folks in rathdrum idaho know what they are doing.

i also owned a ponsness-warren 800 shotgun loader,it was and probably still is top of the line.i sold it after 176000 reloads(trap) and did not count the hunting loads,and yes it does eat powder....you get what you pay for and both machines are first rate.

Boolit Master
    I, too own a P-200 and love it. However, I do not think much of P/W's customer surpport. When I purchased mine used, I inquired of P/W after a manual. They informed me that the cost would be $10.00 plus shipping. How much would it cost P/W to put the manuals on their website for downloading and how much would they gain in customer good will. It's a simple enough machine that I can figure it out, so they (P/W) will do without my money.
    I also will not deal with Lyman for much the same reason, their customer support sucks. I purchased a new 3200 tumbler a number of years ago, used it little over the period of about a year, then the motor went. Called about a new motor, Lyman stated they did not sell replacement motors but offered to sell me a complete new bottom unit for almost as much as I paid for the whole machine. No thanks, Lyman, you too will not get any of my hard earned.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    I, too own a P-200 and love it. However, I do not think much of P/W's customer surpport. When I purchased mine used, I inquired of P/W after a manual. They informed me that the cost would be $10.00 plus shipping. How much would it cost P/W to put the manuals on their website for downloading and how much would they gain in customer good will. It's a simple enough machine that I can figure it out, so they (P/W) will do without my money.
    I also will not deal with Lyman for much the same reason, their customer support sucks. I purchased a new 3200 tumbler a number of years ago, used it little over the period of about a year, then the motor went. Called about a new motor, Lyman stated they did not sell replacement motors but offered to sell me a complete new bottom unit for almost as much as I paid for the whole machine. No thanks, Lyman, you too will not get any of my hard earned.
    Hey Olivern, Want a copy of my P-200 manual? Won't cost you anything. I'd be happy to do it for a fellow reloader! In case you do want a copy, I'll send you a PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Another VERY happy P-200 owner here. I've loaded A LOT of bottle-necked small rifle and handgun cases on the machine--25/20, 32/20, 44/40, 30 Luger, 30 Mauser. It seems fine for any pistol-length caliber with case lengths up to about 22 Hornet.

I've never been able to reach a rate of 300 rounds per hour with it. If I have boolits sized and lubed nearby, 200-225/hour is no strain at all. Changing calibers takes 10 minutes, max, including re-mounting the shell holder and re-setting the powder measure over the Lyman Multi-Charge die.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

manual for P-200

Roundnoser,
    Thanks for the offer, PM sent
    vern

In Remembrance
    I'm not sure which number it is, but there is one on ebay. It is interesting for sure.

Do these use standard shellholders?
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Boolit Master

YES ! the same as most of the single stage presses . RCBS work fine some other brands my need a little taken of the outside deminson to fit the shell holder recess in the platform/ swing arm/ shell carrier

Thanks Bobthenailer.
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

How much do these go for second hand?
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast