Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home made bullet lube question - beeswax + vaseline

Boolit Grand Master

I would also add some lanolin to the mx not alot 2%-5% should be plenty. If to soft add more beeswax if to hard more vaseline. Darrs lube was parrafin vaseline and rcbs sizing lube ( the old oil based or STP). Emmerts lube was beeswax crisco and canola oil with or with out lanolin.

I love my star! I was a newbie when I got it and got very frustrated stting it up, until I finally completely understood how it works. before that I used lees liquid alox and in my marlin 1895 45-70 with a 22" bbl@ 1350fps, the lube ran out at around6-8" short of the muzzle, I even tried 2 coats and sam thing. so I don't do LL's anymore, but I might make bens to put a protective coat over the grease type lube, couldn't hurt, Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Man
    FWIW...I use the Beeswax/Vasiline lube at a 1:1 ratio with a crayola crayon for color. It works great in my 450 unheated.
    Chuck

Any problem can be solved with the correct application of explosives.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

Boolit Buddy
    Beeswax...vasaline...STP...red Crayolas... I get some church wax from time to time too...add that...

Per cent mix is 'variable' when done by me...no weights...no measures... do it by 'feel'...

I shoot "HOT" well...everything...small bore pistol...large bore pistol...same in rifle....

My friend adds rendered pork fat too. He likes the smell. He shoots black powder.....big bore rifle....

So,,,here... you pay your money..you mix your lube...You enjoy the smell.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Boolit Master
    Dean Grinnnell mentioned making Vaseline/beeswax lube in one of his books.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Vaseline has been mentioned since the late 1800rds used in bullet lubes. Pope also listed it in his writings. I have used it since the 50's when I saw it mentioned by Pope in one of his articles I read in the old magazines.
    I mix mine by consistency (squeeze a peas sized ball between my fingers to the point it's just about a liquid) I shoot nothing but black powder and I like my lube soft so when the powder is lit the pressure softens the lube sandwiched between two wads under the bullet so it leaves most behind to soften the fouling. This lets me shoot many rounds with out using fouling control "shooting dirty" I want the lube consumed in the bore, not laying on the ground with just the land cuts on the side of the lube wad that is the same thickness as before it was shot.

I haven't used B-Wax for many years. I have found other carriers that work better then B-Wax that hydrate better keeping the fouling soft.

My mix I mostly use is with tallow I render from my game I fill the freezer with, Deer or Buffalo fat when I have it mixed with Vaseline to the consistency I like using, no wax. Goose fat makes a very good hard tallow. Don't mistake the difference between tallow and lard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12