Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot a 788 yesterday...

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    That's understandable.

The ones I have, if I recall correctly, look much like a traditional cast bullet. They actually have a crimp groove, rather than a rolled-in cannelure. I'll have to shoot a photo and post it here when I get home.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I think I know what you mean. I have some 38 158 SWC bullets that were given a very thin copper wash but are otherwise just cast bullets. I don't call those plated, but "washed" much like some 22LR bullets are. Not the same thing at all.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Well, I can't make the photos because, apparently, I shot up all the bullets. They were 158 gr .38 SWCs, but the plating, as I recall, was quite thick. They were probably Meisters.

I have some Meister plated bullets that are marked: 45 LC, .451 dia., 255 gr. They have a thick plating and a rolled-in cannelure. They are a truncated cone design which would probably work pretty well in a .45 ACP for general purpose loads.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    GET YOURSELF A CANNELURE TOOL AND ROLL YOUR OWN.THAT WAY YOU CAN PUT THEM WHERE YOU WANT THEM.

I had a M788 in 30-30 AI once. Nothing wrong with it. My only complaint was the magazine projected instead of being flush. Make it a little awkward to carry in one hand.

Boolit Master

Rocky,
    I also read your article and enjoyed it! It's refreshing to see a gun writer give an honest workup and report on some advertizer's product instead of the typical "it's the finest thing since sliced bread" writeup. Keep em coming!

I'm deeply honored, Houndog. You may count on more to come.

Boolit Grand Master

They say hindsight is always 20-20, and guess in my case, it is true. I remember when a store in Topeka Ka had a sale on 788's, for I think 118.00. Had about 25 of them in various cals. Remember looking at one in 243 and thinking that even at that price it was just sort of an ugly plain Jane. Wish someone had kicked me. In the sunday paper was a picture and article of a magnificant whitetail rack, possibly the new record for Ne. The article discribed it being killed with an old 60's 788 rifle. The owner said it was something of a beater, but it did the job. Ah-se le gar!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

I had a left hand 788 in 308 many years ago in Michigan. Was a very accurate rifle but got the muzzlerloader bug and sold it off. Still have a left hand 581 in 22lr.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 788 in .308 that was bought used with a bushnell 3x9 scope and a leather cobra sling for 350.00 in 1983. From what i am reading here I may have been took. On the other hand it has been a dandy.
    ll

i have 2 788s;
    one in 223 with 4 clips
    onein 30-30 with 5 clips
    both shoot great

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

I have the 308 carbine. Added a black walnut monte carlo stock. Shoots as good as it looks. In the past I've owed a couple 788s in 22-250. Both were tack drivers.

Banned

The only 788 I have now is a 6mm and it is spooky accurate. I shoot it better than any other rifle I have.

I've also had a .308 carbine which shot OK, but not great. Had a custom .22-250 built on one I bought that was a real good shooter. I regret having gotten rid of that rifle, but kinda needed the cash. One day, I'd like to have a full length .308 one.

I had a 788 in .308 years ago. That rifle kicked like a mule !! You could only shoot three shots from it, and when those were done, you had a bruise the next day on your shoulder the size of your fist. Holy Moly that rifle was a handful. I finally sold it a gun show. Good riddence to bad blood !!
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Mold
    I bought a left handed 788 new and have never shot it. It is in 308 cal. If anyone wants it let me know.

My first centerfire rifle was a 788 in 223. Later I bought 2 more in 308. One was a carbine and was mine, and the other had a longer (22"?) barrel and was my (now ex) wife's
    I still think my 788 in 308 is the most accurate, reliable, and easy-to-use rifle I own. I really miss the 223 though. I regret few things, but I do regret selling that one.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Boolit Man
    I have my dads old 788 in 6mm rem. I have never shot it due to bad joojoo but have been thinking more and more about giving it a try. Stew you mentioned a trigger mod if you remember it and could pass it on I would be very grateful.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 2 Rem 788s in the safe presently--one each in 22-250 and 243. The 22-250 has seen A LOT of shooting prior to my acquisition, and I got it for low dollars accordingly. 10-15 consecutive 3/4" to 7/8" 5-shotters at 100 yards later, I decided that rebarrelling could wait a year or so. I think that was about 2001 or so. I'll re-tube it when accuracy really goes south, for now it does well with 60 grain Sierras.

The 243 landed about the same time, and in near-new condition. It has been a tackdriver since Day 1, jacketed or cast.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah got one in .223 think I got it at Lee's Outdoor Sporting Store, used it for "testing " boolits made out of .22LR cases, has a Redfield 3-9 Scope, shoots like a dream, have a Remington 660 in .308 think I paid $75 for it

-Snoopz

Boolit Master

Rem 788

My Rem 788 is in .223, is very accurate and I really like it. I've had it since the early '80s. With military cases, turned necks to uniform the case grip on the bullet, a good dose of surplus W844, along with Nosler 52gr. match jhp, it gives exceptional velocity for a .223. Nosler says that bullet should not be used for varmints but after finding it such an accurate bullet, I have had nothing but success with it on vermin. It is deadly on groundhogs and coyotes here in southern Ky.

A while back my wife called me to look at some "dogs" that were keeping one of her cows from going to the barn to get out of the weather. I took one look and told her those were not dogs but coyotes. Another cow had just dropped a new calf and had already escaped to the sanctuary of the barn. I think the coyotes were confused on that point with all the smell of the new calf and all.

I managed to get to my gun room, unlock the safe, get the Rem 788 and get back to the back window of the house and dropped two of the coyotes before they could get away. Distance was about 200 yds on the first one and probably 250 yds or more on the second.

Up to that time I couldn't figure out what was happening to the dead groundhogs I was pitching into a sink hole on the back side of my wife's property. After knocking off those two coyotes (a third got away because I didn't see it), I haven't seen one since, but then I hadn't seen one before. Recently my wife's son had a female beagle attacked and the skin on much of the dog's throat was torn off. I figure she ran into a couple of the coyotes and they almost got the best of the fight. 'Tuck

Boolit Master

I got my 788 in .308, used, about 8 or 10 years ago. Shortly after that I ran across a deal for Norma .308 ammo with 180 gr bullets. Price was about what Norma brass sold for so I bought 5 boxes just for the brass. A previous poster mentioned that a 788 in .308 Win. has a kick. He's right. Off the bench they hurt. I only use the rifle for 150 gr or less boolets in light loads. Very accurate to 100 yds.

I may try the recent NOE .311-165 GB. As long as I'm working up a load for the Marlin, I may as well try this one too. Hadn't thought about it recently until I ran across this thread.

John
    W.TN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast