Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 from 9mm brass

Boolit Master
    Yes, base first.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Just found this thread. Having pretty much quit on shooting 9mm, in favor of .357, I'm interested. A 175 grain hollowpoint might be a good ticket for .357 Max too. (We have to use straightwall cartridge here in Ohio.)

I've done some brass swaging in the past, to make .25-20 Single Shot from .223, so it's not altogther new to me, but I'd still call myself an amateur compared to what I see here.

Question: Do you push the 9mm cases thru the reducing die base first?
    The 9mm makes a very good looking 175-200 grain .357 bullet with a large HP for the 175 grain range. I was thinking 357 max too.

Yep base first is best.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    BT,

Those bullet tips look like a better shape than the stock CH dies. Is this one of the sets you modified?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    BT,

Those bullet tips look like a better shape than the stock CH dies. Is this one of the sets you modified?
    Yep! Bored the nose of the die out to .250. I think it looks better too

Original pictures that started the thread are with the original .218 nose I think.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I actually prefer the military 9x19 brass for reloading over any of the commercial brass. It's heavier walled and will take a little hotter load better.

As for A-Merc brass, I've found it to be heavier than almost any other brand when weighing for making bullet jackets. I've made them work, but they are definitely "different" than quality brass. You can also feel the difference when swaging them. They're probably made from road kill brass............

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I’m just lazy, I don’t like drilling out or swaging the primer pockets, and WIN stamped brass loads nice, as does the Blazer brass.

I shoot a lot of mid to low pressure loads for 9 so a hot load is not something I plan for when sorting brass.

I do clean and sort out all the brass I pickup as of late I have been picking out the WIN and sorting the rest into military and non-military and one more just for a-merc waiting until I can turn them into jackets.

I have no idea what is up with a-merc brass but it is some strange acting stuff, it should make great jackets (inexpensive).

I guess I could turn them all into 9mm jackets, but I want to try the 9mm as .308...
    Just fold copper on lead...

Boolit Bub
    to: bt
    great looking bullets in 357. i have a couple of questions about sizing down the 9mm cases for this bullet. what length did you trim the cases to, to make the 146g bullets? i've found that the cases grow in length about .050" when i try to draw them down. i know that you push the cases through your draw die base first to shrink them down from 9mm to 357size, but how do you keep the mouth of the case so concentric. i have tried to draw down some cases base first and the mouth of the case comes out uneven. i anneal the cases before drawing them down but i just dont get the concentric case mouth that you get. i use a small arbor press at work to draw the cases down and it is a piece of cake to do it. i never had much luck trying to use a reloading press for this drawing because of the effort needed to push the handle down.

Boolit Master
    I know this question was for BT, but I will add my 2 cents. The straighter the case enters the draw die the better the case mouth will come out too. If you can get a die that has a chamber that the case just slides into before it hits the reducing section, you can pre-align the case pretty good. If the case tips as it is being sized you will get unevenness at the other end too.

Boolit Buddy
    I would be happy to see Sellier and Bellot cases made into jackets. They suck for reloading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by grullaguy View Post
    I would be happy to see Sellier and Bellot cases made into jackets. They suck for reloading.
    I couldn't agree more, someone needs to tell them that the primer pocket are too small!! I have a dillon I use to reload and I sure know every time a S&B gets a primer!!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Mold
    Are you able to size down in one operation/one die or is taking multiple operations/sizing dies to draw down to the diameter you need?

Thanks,

Clint

Boolit Master
    Nice!

Are the dies et al necessary for the whole operation available at this time, or is this still in R&D phase?

Thanks Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Made a few more of these the other night. About 400 of them in the pile there. Used 9mm for a jacket and a 93 grain .310 cast boolit core and got some good looking 146 grain JHP bullets out of the combination. Should be a heck of a bullet.

Last edited by Dannix; 11-25-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Looking very good indeed.

Have close to 10 000 9mm cases, mostly ex mil with a few thou WIN.

I was just in the right place at the right time to get all this brass for free, am actually putting together a furnace to melt the whole lot down into brass blocks.

May have to keep some for my .357.

Good to see that 9mm can be made into a good bullet.

Mike

BT tell me your not putting the canalure on all those by hand cranking?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12