Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionPBcastcoTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Sights for 6.5 Carcano

Boolit Bub

Sights for 6.5 Carcano

Guys, took my Carcano to the range today for its first run (at least with me). Research tells me that the sights are set for a 200m zero...well, I cant see that friggin far with open sights so I'm working on 100 yards. The below is from 25 yards. if I aim center im off the target high. Aim to bottom of black and i hit top of paper...aim to bottom of orange and im in the center (at 25 yards). so, I need to raise the front sight blade. What can I make an extended front sight blade out of without modifying my original sight? I was thinking of getting a spare front sight from Numerich and maybe forming some bedding compound or something but there must be a better way.

Carcano shooters, help!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carcano.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The Italians had an interesting way of sighting their rifles. Ones with fixed sights have a big V notch in the rear. They were on target with the top of the front blade cnetered in the V with the top of the blade about half way up from the bottom of the V. If you hold the front blade at the top of the V you have a 300 meter zero and if you draw the blade all the way down to the botton of the V you are on at 100 meters. Of course all of this is with GI Ball ammo not hand loads.

Super Moderator

..............On my M38 I used some putty like epoxy and moulded a blob on. Once set up (next afternoon) I filed a presentable blade out of it. At the range at 50 yards it was down off the bottom of the target board. So I filed a bit and fired a shot. Kept doing that until a 6 p'clock hold netted a shot in the center of the target. If for some reason you want to remove the epoxy, most are suseptable to heat. Either a heat gun or the feathery part of a propane torch flame will do the job.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance