Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking for advice on CB SMLE rifle?

Looking for advice on CB SMLE rifle?

I am going to pick up an SMLE shooter in military dress.

There are still some nice rifles available here in Canada and I want one for the historical factor before the sources dry up. The rifle needs to be a shooter not a collectable and suit CBs. Therefore I need to know what constitutes a collectable and what is less desireable, please.

The little No.5 Mk.1 "jungle carbine" is available in good shape and priced right. I've read they suffer from a wandering zero (?).

People talk about late No.4s still in the wrap, would they be good?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
    I am going to pick up an SMLE shooter in military dress.

There are still some nice rifles available here in Canada and I want one for the historical factor before the sources dry up. The rifle needs to be a shooter not a collectable and suit CBs. Therefore I need to know what constitutes a collectable and what is less desireable, please.

The little No.5 Mk.1 "jungle carbine" is available in good shape and priced right. I've read they suffer from a wandering zero (?).

People talk about late No.4s still in the wrap, would they be good?
    The No.4 rifles still in mummy wrap are increasing in value, and just unwrapping one reduces its value.
    Personally I wouldn'y have a rifle I couldn't shoot without reducing its value.

A previously unwrapped rifle of this sort can sometimes be found at an affordable price, but few that have these want to let go of them.

For cast Boolit shooting a lightly seasoned bore, not noticably pitted but speckled with fine near microscopic pits, can shoot better than a fresh brite bore. A seasoned bore holds lubes and tiny globules of lube trapped in the depressions act like ball bearings to float the bullet and reduce friction.
    So a bright bore is not a must at any rate.

The SMLE has a more limber action than a No.4, and different loads can vary greatly in point of impact. The front sight base is noticably offset to the left to compensate for lateral bullet throw of the service cartridge.
    I've found light loads can print far to the right.

My 1915 has the fully adjustable MkIII rear sight, so windage is easily adjusted for bullet throw. The rifles with the non windage MkIII* standard sight require drifting the front blade to match your favorite load.

While the wandering zero is not a myth, it did not affect all No.5 Carbines.
    It also seems to have been due to hard use with heavy service loads, so light cast Boolit loads may not cause the same problem.
    The No.5 is the best full military trim bolt action Carbine out there for use as a hunting of SHTF rifle.

Personally I prefer the infantry rifle to the Carbines, having once owned a Persian Mauser Carbine that was a bear to shoot.
    I've fired a nice No.5 belonging to a friend quite a bit and it was much easier to shoot well.
    Unfortunately muzzle blast with full power cartridges can be disconcerting.
    That shouldn't be a problem with light loads of a fast burning powder, so the No.5 is better suited for tayloered handloads.
    A short barrel (within reason) is theoretically as accurate as a long barrel so long as the burn rate is suited to bullet travel.

Bubba'ed No. 1 or No. 4 rifles can often be found dirt cheap. If the bolt is matching, and the barrel not worn out, such a rifle might be a good first choice.
    I'd prefer a five groove, my Two Groove Savage shoots very well, though with a more limited number of bullet types.

Wow, thank you. What you call bubbaed we call sporterized, as common as dirt here.

I've been reading some threads and must apologize for referring to all the rifles as SMLEs. Dromia noted that that name does not refer to all of the Lee Enfields.

The rifles refered to as wrapped I found are all unwrapped and been shot now. I'll note that it does affect thier value.

Boolit Master
    I have a no5 carbine that i shoot with cast and it is fairly accurate and pleasant to shoot. I have not had a problem with a wandering zero. Unless you get an unfired model it will not decrease in value thru normal shooting. I am putting a scope on mine as that is easy with the no 4 and 5. The rear peep sight on the 4 and 5 seems to be easier for older eyes to shoot accurately than the earlier models. Good luck and if you get one contact me and I will share load info i have.
    jim

In Remembrance

Bob,

Get to know your fellow countryman, Steve Regwell. www.303british.com
    Steve is a former Canadian Army Armourer and all around enthusiast. His website is a treasure-trove of knowledge and advise. CBs and Lee Enfields work good if you go about it correctly. He has a great article on his website about just this topic.

Thanks again Gentlemen,

I'm familiar with Steve's site and as soon as my PAL is approved this is moving forward. I am going to order his books first.

I was on the initial list for the Ruger 303s. However a 32-20 Winoku 92 TD won my heart and my dealer arranged import. Prepping for that purchase got me interested in the 303 again. Like many Canadians born shortly after WW2 my first big game rifle experience was with the 303.

First observations as I search this out.

Probably for obvious reasons the Longbranch models sell well in Canada. The No5 is fairly common and sporterized weapons from BSA to tool shed hacksaw work are common still.

The altered, sporterized, versions initially struck me as beneath me! Haven't owned one since the 70's and already leaning to the snobbery of the grossly uneducated. Turns out there are interesting professional variants that are priced right indeed.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two boolits shooting fairly well from my No. 5, both NOE ~ the 316299 and the 0.314" x 129 gr. (I had to lap that one out as I have a pretty sloppy groove diameter).

Both are doing well gas checked and over medium burn rate powders. Still working on it though.

Generally I don't like small bore much but I have to admit I do enjoy shooting the .303.

I also have a nice No. 4 to work up loads for too.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    There are far more minimally sportered SMLE rifles out there than there are properly done sporters.

I'd like to see more of the bubba'ed rifles revuenated by use of a proper wooden stock cut in a classic style with well bordered checkering and addition of nice sporting type sights.

A SMLE sporter really should have express sights on a quarter rib, and a nicely sloped ramp front sight.

Boolit Grand Master

Multigunner:

I like the way you are thinking!

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ph...nfieldeal.html

This model is interesting. I'm a peep shooter but the fine Express Sights would look great on a dedicated heavy bush moose rifle. The Lee Enfield does dress up rather well when a guy sees a well done Classic British Sporting Rifle.

I normally wouldn't ask on one forum about another but the specific nature of my request may be appropriate. Anyone suggest a forum or two for a guy wishing to meet and talk Lee Enfields with both North Americans and Commonwealth shooters?

Well this is quick, dealing on a BSA Model E based on the P14 action. Opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BSA Model E.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The BSA's are great rifles that sell very cheap for what they are. They make great bigbore conversions as well. I have 3 model D's, a 270 and two .303's , awaiting some choices.