Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 25-20 cast bullets

Boolit Bub

25-20 cast bullets

hi cast bullet fans,
    i have purchased a marlin 1894cl, in 25-20, and would like to shoot cast in it.
    i see rcbs has a cowboy bullet, 85gn non gc, and lyman has a 65gn gc bullet.
    being that i shoot silhouettes, i'm leaning toward the gc bullet, bullet speed would be over 1500fps, any suggestions toward a bullet to use. i have not rec'd the rifle yet, but its on the way. thanks.....dancast

Boolit Master

My dad's got a Marlin 25-20 he shoots cast from. I'll have to ask him specifics. I know he's partial to Lyman molds, so that's probably what he's using. I know he's shooting GC boolits from it.

I've shot some of them, and it shoots like a dream with the cast loads, it's a real tack driver.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Marlin 1894 CL. It is the best edible small game rifle to be had.

I have shot NOTHING but cast in it. My bullet is the Lyman 257420 with GC. I cast of straight linotype and have three loads for mine. They all shoot equally well.

High Speed load is a compressed charge of RL-7 (14.5 grs of RL-7 behind the 457420 bullet) for a velocity of just under 2200 fps (this duplicates the original jacketed high speed load).

My Medium load is the same bullet ahead of 11.5 grs of RL-7.

My squirrel load is 4.0 grs of Unique behind the same bullet. Instant kills whether it is a classic head shot or a behind the shoulder shot. It is a far superior load to the .22 LR.

I took five cases, loaded them with the high speed load twenty times in a row (loaded on the range) and the cases were still fully functional. There were NO expanded primer pockets or split brass. I am still using those cases.

I consider the high speed load to be suitable ONLY in modern, strong actions like the 1894CL. Use at your own risk, of course.

I have a low powered scope on mine for general use.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage 23 in 25-20 that shoots cast very well. The best load uses the 87 gr. Lyman 257312 at about 1440 fps. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I use a GC or not so I load without one. I shot some loads over 1500 they shot alright so I don't think it would be a problem but rifles are different and you never know till you try.

I had the RCBS 85 gr. and I couldn't make it shoot as good as the 257312, my friend had the 257312 that would not group in his rifle but it did well with the RCBS. We finally did the obvious thing, we traded. This is not a kick at the RCBS 85 gr. mould because it cast and worked beautifully but my rifle had the last word on the subject.

It seem that the 25-20 is a sensitive round to load, it is a small round so make small changes when working up loads. I can sometimes tell a difference in as small as 2 tenths of grain change in the powder charge. I really like the 25-20, it's cheep to shoot and a lot of fun to play with.

Good luck
    Dave

Boolit Master

I have a Savage model 23B in 25-20 and I shoot both the RCBS 85 grain (no GC) #82301
    and the Lyman 65gr FN (with GC) #257420....cas with a mix similiar to Lyman #2
    they BOTH shoot well with H4227 ...BUT I prefer the 85 grain... seems to shot more accurately
    I also tend to load my rounds toward the top end of the muzzle velocity range
    In my opinion the 25-20 is a terrific cartridge for small game and as a general fun shooter.....Ive even knocked off small blacktails in my back yard at 50 yards (head shot)

I have been shooting the 25-20 with cast bullets for 50 years. I have a Winchester 92 and a Remington 25 in that caliber.

I have used nothing but Lyman 258312 which is a 90 grain GC design over 9/4227. Lyman does not make that mold any more, but NEI makes a clone.

Boolit Bub

25-20

hi cast bullet fans,
    thanks to all who replyed to my 25-20 thread. i did order a mold from ranch dog,
    should have it in a few days. thanks to all......dancast

Boolit Buddy
    Check out RanchDog's 25-20 boolit mold. I think you may just end up getting one! I have one but haven't gotten to cast with it yet.

Tom

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Marlin 1894CL. I use the Lyman 257420 bullet with 7.8 grains of IMR-4227.
    NRA Endowment Member

Hello. Has anyone here ever used/loaded a Lyman 257464 for 25-20? I know it's mostly a good Roberts Boolit but I saw it mentioned in another 25-20 forum but they never reported back on how it done. I know it will be blow the case neck. Don't know how the effects of that would be.

Roy
    Hooker53

Banned

you can get away with the gas check below the neck.

your actual issue is gonna be the weight of the boolit.
    some 25-20's won't shoot an 86gr jacketed bullet well pushed to top velocity.
    and most do best with 70gr and below weights.

Yeah, found the old 86 grain Remington 25-20 jacketed flat point could be cranky to get groups with. Never did try the lighter jacketed. Well, except the 75 grain spire pointy HP's that just acted like FMJ's on critters due to the low speed.