WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Will my Rem 30-06 pump cycle cast loads?

Boolit Bub

Will my Rem 30-06 pump cycle cast loads?

I have a early '70s Remington 30-06 pump model 760. Will I need to crimp the boolit in order to be able to cycle them through the action?

Is the velocity limit 2000 fps before I start leading-up the barrel? I'm guessing a 180gr cast boolit, traveling @ 2000fps, oughtta disrupt things when put through the shoulder of even the largest hogs, right?
    Savage .270wsm, Remington 30-06 pump, Buffalo Classic 45-70, Berretta 360 12 ga, Marlin 1894 .44mag, Redhawk .44mag, Charter Bulldog Pup .44sp, CZ 52, Charter .38sp, H&R 999 Sportsman, Henry pump .22

Boolit Master
    Fit is the key to no leading! measure the throat, then the bore. Do some searching you will find a lot of good information and fit is the first secret to a good load with cast. If you are going to use the lead boolit for target shooting why so fast work up to fast.Start slow and work up you will find the right spot for your rifle, it is the only thing that will tell you how it shoots.
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know about your particular 760, But I've seen it done with a 7600 in .30-06.
    Can't imagine why it wouldn't.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

A 180 grain bullet at 2,000 will definitely kill any hog ever lived. Not that I’ve tried it on a 500 lb Hogzilla but a hole is a hole. Of course with a big old 30-06 you can easily use 200 or 220 grain bullets if you need more thump. My favorite heavy 30 bullet is the RCBS 30-180-FN. That bullet weighs 180 grains from Linotype and within a couple grains of 200 from WW \ plain lead 50/50 alloy. I heat treat that alloy in my kitchen oven at 435 degrees for 15 minutes then water quench. Process which you can read about here. http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm You end up with a controlled expansion bullet that will retain all it’s lead short of what bones cut off.

The 2000 fps “limit” you read about isn’t due to leading issues but rather bullet accuracy. The number is closer to 1950 than 2000 fps. Many people shoot faster but with a 10 twist barrel 1950 fps with a stick powder at or between 4198 and 4895 burn rate is a good place to start and not a bad place to stop. I’d consider faster loads pet loads. I’ve a fellow shooting my 160 grain Lyman #311672 at 2400 fps from a 30-06 and Lyman list loads in there book that fast.

I just crimp enough to straighten the neck back out from flaring. Like a Lyman M die to expand rifle case necks. Crimping is more for preventing bullet jump under recoil and increasing bullet pull for better powder ignition. I have several rifle boolits which have no crimp grove. For a hunting bullet that may get repeatedly pushed back to the debtor of a magazine while reloading I’d prefer a crimp and all my flat nose hunting type bullets seam to have a crimp grove as the designers must have the same idea. I use a light roll crimp just short of flush where commonly I can still just feel the edge of the case mount grab a passing finger nail. Not saying that’s the best way to crimp. Just the way I do it. With rounds for an AR-15 I like to crimp flush enough so the case mouth doesn’t snag of the front lip of the magazines when they feed out. Although I’ve fired thousands of match bullets from AR’s with no crimps.

Can’t help any with feeding experience from a Rem 760. As a pump shotgun shooter I’d say a 760 in 30-06 is serious hog dropper.

Now to again post the often seen hog anatomy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigoledude View Post
    Will I need to crimp the boolit in order to be able to cycle them through the action?

Is the velocity limit 2000 fps before I start leading-up the barrel? I'm guessing a 180gr cast boolit, traveling @ 2000fps, oughtta disrupt things when put through the shoulder of even the largest hogs, right?
    When you inspect your boolits, keep some rejects and keep some beat up brass. Assemble some dummies (no primer or powder), measure COAL, run them through the magazine three times and then measure them all again.

When at the range, single load your shooting cartridge from one magazine, drop it and stick in the mag full of dummies. Repeat for each shot. Do this for the session and then measure COAL on the dummies when you get home. If they are still the same COAL, you are golden.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    My 760 shoots them with no problems. My son has it now or I'd likely be shooting hogs with it.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Bub
    I shoot cast out of mine and it was made in 1952! I never crimp rifle rounds just use the case neck tension. As far as leading goes like Freightman said fit is the most important part and bullet lube also is the key to success, mine like .309" sizing.
    Last edited by jbelder; 12-23-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy

GabbyM, Looks to me like you have it all covered. Good job.

Remington Model 760-30-06 Pump Action

Will I need to crimp the boolit in order to be able to cycle them through the action?
    I did not crimp. Using a clip type magazinge put no pressure on the bullets nose. Used a Lyman "M" die to open the case mouth.
    Is the velocity limit 2000 fps before I start leading-up the barrel?
    Go for accuracy first, a good alloy, BHN 15 hardness works. Gas Checked @ .310" diameter. Air cooled. Have not tried oven heat treating method. My early 760 never shot great, with lead or J, bore to rough. Maybe some day i will try fire lapping it. My 1903 Springfield liked casted, but with a new GI barrel installed.

Boolit Grand Master

There is no particular 'speed limit', but as you push a boolit faster and harder, accuracy
    will start dropping off at some point. The variables of boolit design, alloy, hardness, lube,
    diameter, bore diameter, smoothness and probably your hat size and hair color all figure
    into the mix.

A good design with a good lube in a smooth barrel launched with an "appropriate" (hard
    to define) powder charge has worked for many people in the .30-06 at 2000 fps. Will it
    work for you? Hard to say, give it a try.

Try .310 to .311 diameter for starters.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Remember this, YOUR gun, is a rule unto itself.

Will YOUR gun cycle cast? I don't know. It's not MY gun.

Try it and see.

Though I will suggest one thing. Since the 06 headspaces on the shoulder, you can crimp without issue. But I would keep .002" case neck tension so long as it doesn't size down your boolits.

And as for velocity.

I don't know. Perhaps you should give it a try?
    Last edited by thx997303; 12-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Banned
    Bigoledude,

ODD that you should mention the 760 Gamemaster in '06 AND hogs. = I talked to a hunting member of our lease up at the ranch this afternoon & he took a 392# feral boar last Wednesday at dusk with a 190 grain homebrew cast boolit in front of 4198. The range was 84 long steps. = John L___________ shoots NOTHING else for WT, exotics & pigs.

ADDENDA: John says that that long, slim boolit functions JUST FINE, thanks.

yours, tn
    Last edited by texasnative46; 11-07-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: DUMB typo

Boolit Master
    I've shot a bunch of 311041s out of my old 760 in 30-06. No chambering problems whatsoever.
    Boolits weigh 177 gr and I push a little above 1700 with 20 gr of 2400. Alloy is one part WW and two parts lead, bhn 10/12 or thereabouts.
    Accuracy is superb, better than jacketed. Performance on deer and coyotes is superb also.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

I get up to 2250fps in my 1 in 10 twist 30-06 with sub-moa precision.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Mine seems happy w/160s,180s and a custom 200 manipulated a little, feed and function are fine w/the nominal flair flattening. 17-1800 fps is pretty easy w/all the weights . 2300 w/the 180s paper patched was easily reached but there's some tweeking to close groups that still needs to be done . It also shot considerably to the left .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned
    Wolfer; Win94AE; Harter66,

That's GOOD to hear, as I just bought a Gamemaster in .300 Savage and hoped to avoid the 34.00 per 20 rounds that is the best price for "factory loads" that I've found here in SA.

Now, I'm looking for a 130-150 grain cast bullet for the old 760, as my "brother of the heart" has forgotten more about reloading than 99% of people know & he says that I should stick to 150 grains or less in a boolit due to the smaller case/short neck.

yours, tn
    Last edited by texasnative46; 11-08-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typos/misspellings

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    While its different but the same, I've launched an 1500 fps 200gr in the tiny little 7.62 x 3 9 slow powders in fact tooo slow powders can do wonders .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .