RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .30-.30 loads for cast

Lee 150 or 170 gr. RNFP cast from straight WW alloy air cooled,two light coats of Lee Alox/JPW mix shot as cast no gas check applied,bullets drop at .310 dia. 8.0 grs. of Alliant Red Dot or SR-4756,MV runs around 1200+fps.

10 shots 150 gr. RNFP Red Dot load at 50 yds. out of my Sav. 170 30-30 pump gun with the irons.

I shot the 15 cartridges using 26 grains of 3031, and it seemed plenty accurate. Some of the rounds did chamber hard though. But I didn't see any signs of overpressure. I think the Winchester 94 is going to like 3031! So this weekend I cast some more bullets, only this time I let them air cool. They do seem a hair smaller, and the gas checks seemed to fit a little looser. I'll handload a few this weekend and see how they chamber. I read from a different post that some of the Lee moulds cast bullets that are a little large for the Win 94, and push into the lands like mine. So pretty soon I'm going to order the Lyman 311041 and try that.

Boolit Master

If you want to try a few Lyman 311041 before you order PM me an address and I'll send you a few to try for size. FB

Thanks Firebricker, I appreciate it. But I just ordered the mould from Midway, I hope to cast some bullets with it before the end of the long weekend. From everything I've heard, this mould works well with the Win 94. So I'm optimistic!

Banned

I'm late to the party, but thought I'd just add that 3031 is one of the two best powders I've ever found for the .30-30, so I'd say you're on track. If you push it hard, over 2k fps, 3031 really shines. When the bore is clean with no powder kernels left in the barrel or fired cases you've gotten the pressure high enough, usually just above the midrange of published loads for the 170-grainers. You might experience some leading with the tumble lube at higher velocities, but then again you might not, sometimes the .30-30 will surprise you. I'm glad you've discovered that you don't have to be limited to fast pistol powders and dismal velocities with cast boolits in rifles! Keep up the good work.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

I use 28grs. of H4895 in my Contender carbine with 311041 sized .309". Good accurate hunting load with no pressure signs even at 100' plus.

RegCom7,
    It sounds like a section of the bore riding portion of the bullet is slightly larger than the bore resulting in a bit of interference when chambering.

It could be that one or both cavities are dropping bullets with the dimension that is resulting in a bit of interference ....or.... when you are applying the gas check and sizing the bullet the bore riding portion of the bullet is being bumped up just a bit.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

I have had good luck with 13 grains of Trailboss under a Lee 170 grain boolit cast from WW. I seat the bullet fairly deep into the case to ensure that it chambers easily everytime. Lube it with Lee Alox, and no gas check required.

It shoots very well out of my Win 94.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12