Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30-.30 loads for cast

.30-.30 loads for cast

I just got a new Lee mould for 170 gr gas checked, for my Model 94. I have 3031 and H4895 powders, but most of what I see in the loading manuals are for jacketed bullets with these powders. Does anyone have any loads for cast bullets with these powders? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    26 grains of 3031 is with the Lyman 311041 is a pretty mild load and quite accurate in my 1894 Winchester. I think it may be a good place to start with your Lee 170. I've never used H4895 in the 30-30, but I'd guess that 26-27 grains may be a good starting point.
    Maineboy

Banned

This is from the cast bullet handbook.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Check the Hodgdon web site for Varget loads with jacketed. With the right alloy & lube you can fully equal jacketed speed, get a bit of expansion, and likely improve accuracy. As always, trim cases to uniform length, neck size 2/3 of the neck, use an "m" die for uniformity, load at a length that functions through the arm and long as possible to touch rifling, and crimp uniformly.

Borrow or get enough powder to run a 3 shot series per load from midrange of the jacked loads table to max. You can do this with 4895 too.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Smile

Thanks for the info guys, that's just what I was looking for!

Boolit Grand Master
    15.5 grains, the staring load for SR-4759 gives an accurate 1677 FPS. with that boolit.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

From the manual "Modern Reloading" Second Edition by Richard Lee:

30-30 170 gr. Cast Boolit load for H4895:

Burning rate is 68

*Start grains- 15.0/1300 vel. 12400 pressure

Max grains - 29.0/2040 vel. 34800 pressure

There are loads and velocities listed for charges between the start and max.
    If you have a desired velocity, give me a PM and I'll shoot back it's powder charge.

*Accidental double charge is possible with this load. Invert case before charging.
    Last edited by WILCO; 11-14-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

26 grains of 3031 works like a charm for me...
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Grand Master

28 gr of H4895 under that 170 gr cast bullet will be an excellent load. It is my "go to" load for my 170 - 180 gr cast bullets in my three 30-30s (2 M94s and a TC Contender carbine). It is excellent for plinking/practice and also is fine for hunting. It also pretty much duplicates the older factory 170 gr ballistics.

Larry Gibson

Smile

So I'll work up to 26 gr. 3031 and 28 gr. of H4895. Thanks for the help everyone!

Ok, I've handloaded 15 cartridges with the 170 gr bullets, over 26 gr. of 3031. They go into the chamber easily until the last 1/2 inch or so, and then it takes moderate force to push it in the rest of the way. I sized the bullets at .309, and I can see the impression of the rifling in the bullet after I take the cartridge out of the chamber. So that's what's preventing the free chambering. Is this normal or desirable? Or should the cartridge fall all the way into the chamber with no resistance at all?

Moderator Emeritus

The chart shows the OAL [overall length] as 2.510". If yours measure that, how deep is the engraving on the boolit? I can live with tight cambering and 1/8-1/4" mark on a target load. I want something that will chamber without a second thought in a hunting load. Your gun might have a tight throat or the bullets nose might be a little wide. The most critical of these is the oal and I would not seat things deeper to get a better fit as pressures will increase dramatically.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I would check your seating depth then try a resisized case without a boolit and see if it chamber's freely. Then check your case length 30/30 tend to stretch a lot. if it is the case turn your die in another quarter turn and try it again. I would make sure you are a few thousands back from the lands on your over all length of the finished cartridge. FB

Le Loup Solitaire

30-30 loads

Using Lyman 311291 which is essentially the same as 311041...170 grains, and 3031, the starting point is 25 grains. One can go as high as 30 or 31 grains in a good 94 as that is getting up to factory velocity. In my 94's I found that 27 grains gave the best accuracy. LLS

The oal is 2.55 and I just neck-sized the brass. The empty brass chambers with no problem. Most of the empty brass was about 2.040, but a couple were a little longer. The engraved marks on the bullets are very shallow 3/16" long, and I can push the cartridges all the way into the chamber with my thumb, if I push hard. I cast these bullets out of wheel-weight lead and water quenched them, and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. Used the Lee C309-170-F mould. Maybe I could try not quenching them next time, and they would be a little smaller? Does it sound like there might be excessive pressure if I shoot them?

Boolit Master
    I have had good results with the Lee 150 gr FP over 14.5 grains of 2400 for a mid range load. Same boolit over 35.5 grains of H4350 for a full power load, and a .311 round ball over 4 grains of Unique for cans and squirrels. All 3 shoot to point of aim at 25 yards and the full power one is 2inches high at 100, Mid range is dead center at 100 yards.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by RegCom7 View Post
    The oal is 2.55 and I just neck-sized the brass. The empty brass chambers with no problem. ... Does it sound like there might be excessive pressure if I shoot them?
    I do not expect that 26 gr. load to be a problem. The listed OAL is about 0.04 less than you say you measure. You should be able to seat that much deeper without pressure worries.

Smile

I'll shoot them this weekend if I have time. Thank you all for the great advice!

LIKE 26 GRAINS 3031, 26 GRAINS rELOADER 7 IS ALSO VERY EFFECTIVE.

I haven't tried the 170, but the 150 grain version of that boolit works wonderfully for me @ around 2300fps out of a 30-30 when pushed by RE-7. That is a TOP load that I only use for hunting. A moderate charge of Unique gives me a gentle 1800fps & good plinking accuracy.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast