MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: fixing a broken fireing pin on a martini

fixing a broken fireing pin on a martini

this is how i fix broken fireing pins on martini,s. hilti nails, hard , tough and not brittle.
    i cut the point off just short of the full OD of the nail, this leaves a natural taper
    for when u press it in the hole. use # drills and woirk up slowly. this is done in the lathe. i then drill a wittnes hole to let the air out when pressing the hilti nail in.
    i use 680 loctite and the littlle grouves in the nail carry the locktite in the hole. i cut the nail of a little longer than needed before pressing it in . u then machine the fireing to size. i have done 4 of these and non have failed yet. i have used these hilti nails and studs for makeing shotgun and rifles for years and very good results.
    this fireing pin is from a greener 12gauge shotgun. parden my poor wrighting skills.

Boolit Buddy
    Great idea!

Boolit Master
    Something similar is done on cz-52 pistol firing pins. The broken tip is ground down, drilled in a lathe and a needle bearing out of a U joint ( as a local garage or drive line shop to save you an old u joint or a lifetime supply) or back of a drill bit it soft soldered in place, the ground to shape.

Advantages over your method are that the needle bearing does not need to be machined to pass through the firing pin hole and that it is hardened somewhat, but is not brittle.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

Broke a Martini Cadet firing pin years ago- after a few years, I was able to get a replacement from Numrich Arms. Unfortunately, the actually "pin" protrusion was too large in diameter. Being the young fool at the time, I just held the oversize pin by hand and slowly rotated it against my grinding wheel lightly til it came down to an acceptable diameter. Certainly not pretty, but it works-- The plan for next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time) is to cut off the broken tip, drill into the center of the "firing pin" body about .250" or more, and solder in a new "pin" made of drill rod that is the proper diameter and length. It should work-

358wcf

Boolit Buddy
    I have modified several Martini Cadet firing pins . The original firing pin is too large a diameter when re-barreling to 222 rimmed for example . The breechblock benefits from being bushed with a sleeve which features a reduced diameter firing pin . This stops primers extruding into the firing pin hole and locking the action .
    I use the shank of the drill bit to form the new firing pin nose . The firing pin has the nose ground off and is drilled to a depth of quarter inch or so in the lathe. The shank of the drill is then soft soldered into the hole. A drill of about .085" in diameter works well . No heat treating is necessary.