Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 70 muzzleloader

Boolit Bub

45 70 muzzleloader

might be a pipe dream but how hard would it be to take a tc contender 45-70 barrel make a breech plug and turn into an inline?

Boolit Master

It can be done. Might need a long breach plug to fill most of the chamber. Bullet diameter should be .449" . If you were planning on making the barrel shorter you could use a chunk of barrel for a bullet sizer. It would need to be shrunk down a bit but you would have a mechanical fit to the rifling. extend the ejector for the 209 primers but don't look at the primer when you open the action, hurts the eye when it hits.

Boolit Bub
    what if you made the breech plug to use shortended cases for the primer holder like they do with 25 acp cases?

Have you tried muzzleloading it with a primed case? Been threatening to do that with a break over H&R 45LC and just haven't got around to it.

You don't need to make the breechplug, it can be storebought - and it doesn't need to fill the .45-70 chamber.

Just for chuckles one year, I turned a .45-70 Ruger #1-S into a .45 muzzleloader via drilling/tapping the rear half of the .45-70 chamber for a Remington 700ML breechplug I ordered from the Remmy Parts dept.

I made the threads deep enough so that I could seat the Remmy breechplug (and adjust the depth) deep enough so that the Ruger #1's firing pin would ignite large rifle primers held in the lower half of a primer conversion kit for caplocks that I screwed into the Remmy breechblock ILO the nipple.

The normal 70-90 gr Pryo or Holy Black charges fill what remains of the old .45-70 chamber, allowing seating the lubed boolit just ahead of the old throat area.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride