Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cracked Stock

Boolit Man

Cracked Stock

A few years back I made a post asking for help with a cracked stock on a Bolt action 12 ga shotgun. It's a Sears model stamped "Western Auto Supply" on the barrel. It cracked near the main screw under the stock. and runs about half the length of the stock. I tried to fix it with both Gorilla Glue and good quality Wood Glue with not much success. After 2-3 rounds the crack opens right back up. This gun has been in the family a long time and I hate to lose it. Any suggestions or should I start looking for a pretty piece of maple? Joe
    You always think you have enough Boolets, until the Zombies come.

Helpful web site

Here is a link to the Surplus Rifle Forum, which I frequent. They deal with this problem often on old milsurps, due to inability to get OEM replacements.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/

As I understand it, Gorilla Glue is not satisfactory for gunstocks because it expands when drying. Also, regular wood glue is not made to stand up to shock. The guys who have written articles in the other forum seem to recommend epoxy; usually Acraglas, although I guess any kind would work. You may have to clean out all the old glue from the gap to make it work. It can be dyed, although it would most likely show up as a repair, even if done neatly. I have not personally used any of the above, but do a little woodworking.

WRideout

Boolit Master
    Fix it with epoxy like WR said. But, before you go throwing any more time and money at that thing you might want to figure out why it cracked in the first place, and address that first.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Here is a link to the Surplus Rifle Forum, which I frequent. They deal with this problem often on old milsurps, due to inability to get OEM replacements.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/

As I understand it, Gorilla Glue is not satisfactory for gunstocks because it expands when drying. Also, regular wood glue is not made to stand up to shock. The guys who have written articles in the other forum seem to recommend epoxy; usually Acraglas, although I guess any kind would work. You may have to clean out all the old glue from the gap to make it work. It can be dyed, although it would most likely show up as a repair, even if done neatly. I have not personally used any of the above, but do a little woodworking.

WRideout
    This is the right track, either read member Candyman's posts on stock repair on this forum or send it to him for repair.

I just want to add my counsel, as other have to check out the posts and stickies by Candyman. He can teach you how to fix stocks that others would throw in the trash. He would have told you that wood glues are not the way to go. Acraglas with proper reinforcement is the way to go.

Boolit Master
    try to remove the old remains of the glue from the crack and let the damaged part to soak in alcohole for a while.. That should melt the gun oil and other oils from the wood..
    If the crack is small.. drill a small hole somewhere where it is not so visible, and inject alcohole or asetone with plastic syringe to the crack thru that hole...
    Let the wood dry well, and mix good 2 component epoxy..
    Fill the plastic syringe with the epoxy and inject it thru the hole to the crack..
    Fill the crack and take a rubber bands or surgigal tubing and tie the stock so that the crack will close.. let it dry and remove the exess epoxy and do the rest of the things..

S

Boolit Buddy
    Clean out as much old glue as possible. Open the crack as best you can and hold it open with some type of wedge. Work as much epoxy glue into the crack as possible, then using an air hose with a nozzle, blow the epoxy as deeply into the crack as possible. Clamp the stock or wrap with latex surgical tubing or heavy rubber bands while the epoxy dries. If this does not provide a sufficient repair, take a piece of 1/16" brass brazing rod and using a coarse threading die thread about 3" of the rod then taper the end so it somewhat resembles a wood screw. With the crack clamped firmly together, chuck the threaded rod in a variable speed electric drill and SLOWLY screw it into the stock so it protrudes from the opposite side. Cut the protruding ends of the threaded rod off and carefully dress the ends till they are flush with the stock. Depending on the length of the crack, you may have to use several lengths of the threaded rod. By the way, Western Auto Supply was not a Sears brand or trademark, if my memory serves correctly. Western Auto was an entirely different company. I hope all this is helpful. LOL

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I once fixed an old Win 22 rifle that had been my great uncles tractor gun. It fell off the tractor one day and he ran over it. Broke the stock in 3 pieces. He simply used black electrical tape, good enough for an old tractor gun....LOL
    I cleaned the parting wood fibers and used Brownells Acra Glass bedding compound. That is the truly the best I have used on guns , Period.
    I poured the mixed liquid into the ends of the parted fibers and stuck the parts together, then taped them with masking tape til the compound set up and hardened over night.
    I then let it set for several days and then sanded the off the excess compound and stock finish and re-stained the wood ( it was soo faded and dry it was almost grey ) After I stained it I finished it with a satin spray spar varnish...
    Now all you can see is a couple zig-zag fine lines where the fractures were, it's solid as a rock and a good permenet repair...
    Good luck ! "PJ"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Buddy
    Your best bet after contaminating the wood with two different types of glue (the parts will never fit together properly again) is to check with Numrich Arms to see if they have a replacement stock.