MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herters Field Position Match and 1911 Ballistic Challenge Oct-Nov

All, The weather was just about perfect for a trip to the range today so after cleaning up the leaves & mowing my lawn for the last time this season, I drove out there. I shot the HFP match in the sitting position using my "as issued" K-31 and Lyman #311466 for one target and Lee C309180-R for the other. Both were sized to .309" and seated over 18.5gr. WC 820 + Win LR primers (no fillers). I was quite happy with the results considering that I rarely shoot from anything but a benchrest position.

Sitting position: It's not bad and I had hoped to sit with my back against one of the uprights (telephone pole segment) that supports the roof over our firing line, but I forgot about the sun: We shoot to the ~SW (can't be changed), which isn't good, since the low sun at this time of year is directly on your sights. My first targets were terrible because I couldn't see the rear sight because of the glare. However, there is a rifle rack (no back support though) that is completely shaded by the roof and enough space between 2 of our concrete benches to allow a clear shot at my 50yd. target. By using an old bath mat (bench cover) that I carry with me, I was able to sit on the rack comfortably and actually hit the target.

Btw, I had 17 rounds loaded with the Lee "soupcan" loaded with 15gr. WC 820, which I fired from the same position, but at a single target. The results were impressive! If you happen to have that mold and a K-31, by all means try the combination for it's a good one. I.e., it's one of the better CB's for the K-31.

Boolit Master

OK, I did it

I went to the range today before the rain arrived. I showed up with 1/2 sheet of plywood the long way. Two guys were there watching me. They said I couldn't shoot a 45 auto that far. I told them I could shoot it, but didn't know how well I could hit.

I shot 5 rounds of 452460 ahead of 3.5 of bullseye, my standard match load. Nothing great, I did get all 5 on the wood about a foot below the target.

I then shot 5 rounds of the same boolit ahead of 6.0 grains of WW 231. All 5 hit the paper! I was amazed and so were the guys there. I had them sign the target.

Both times were two hands off hand with my merrit optical miricle device. Iron sights on the gun.

I then shot one group of 5 shots using the 231 load off the bench. 4 on the paper, and a pretty long verticle string.

That was fun!

David

Another Victim

I knew David would get into this. Now that he has fired his first shots of 45acp at 100 yards, I'm sure he's hooked!

Dave, next time out shoot seven shot strings for the Ballistic Challenge. Feel free to post pics and group sizes. Hopefully we can get some more folks interested.

Regards - Slughammer
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

Here it is

100 yards standing on my Hind legs holding the gun with 2 hands.

Auto ordinance 1911 clone, Wilsons match grade barrel and bushing, my own trigger job.

452460 sized to .452
    LAR45 Lube
    6.0 WW 231
    CCI LP

The signitures on the right are witnesses.

Seven and five eights inches.

David
    Last edited by David R; 05-02-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Jeez, looks like my 25 yard target after a long night. OK colder than the hobbs of hell outside but tomorrow I'll wander down to the range and see if I can hit a target at 100 yards. Off tonite to check my drop tables - like that is going to make a difference.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Talking 100 yards standing

Ok, I shot some standing on my hind two. Load for was 4.7WST, 200gr HG68 clone, hard blue lube, Winchester primer and mixed cases.

Did one target to find my best point of aim and then fired this one. All 7 are into 12" and the best 6 are good for 8".

I ain't no DavidR, but I'm not afraid to try either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0633.JPG  
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    Heddabendeadeverytime!

David

Boolit Grand Master

Finally got out to the range and shot some for the HFPM. I was playing with new loads for the 311440 clone GB bullet and have to say the results were generally unsatisfactory. Did manage to get this one target. Shot prone, rifle rested over my shooting bag. 5 shots into 4.05 with 4 of those into 1.86 using my Marlin 30AS. Load was the 311440 clone, cast of range scrap and sized .309 with Ballisticast hard lube over 23.0 of Reloader 7.

Link to larger pic:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imasho..._311440-sm.jpg

I still need to get out to a range where they'll let me shoot handgun at 100 yards for the Ballistic Challenge. Hope I can get there before the end of the month...

In keeping with the spirit if this match I went out today to our range in freezing weather and 20 mph winds. Sitting on my butt with two shirts, one jacket and mittens I attempted to shoot targets at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I think shooting at a deer would have been easier. I was shooting my old Dan Wesson 10 inch revolver with open sights. The load was 22 grains of H110 with assorted cases. CCI LP primers and a Lee 429-240-2R plain base bullet cast from range scrap and sized to .230 using Lee ear wax lube. 25 and 50 were ok for my old eyes but it took 5 targets to even get all 5 shots on the printer paper I used for a 100 yard target and I think I was lucky to achieve that. The first target with 5 shots on it and I packed it up and went home. I am sure the Herters would have been very dissapointed at me doing that and not buying a World Famous Premium Goose Down Full Length Hudson Bay Guides Jacket made with only the finest Imported specially bred for Herters Goose down. Proven in the harshest Siberian winter snows by Jauque Herter himself. Anyways I made the deadline and here are the results..Walt

Last edited by NVWalt; 11-28-2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: forgot to insert 100 yardage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12