Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 50-70 Springfield

Boolit Buddy Charlie, AKA The Deacon's Avatar

50-70 Springfield

I have a 2 barrel band springfield, it looks all original. What I am wandering is if I have a Bannerman or a short rifle, the barrel measures 29.5 with the front sight in the correct position.

it is also in the 50-70 cartridge, any help identifying this beast would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your post
    Charlie--ruger1965
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Check "trapdoor collector.com" for info . BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    Its probably a cut down rifle but without a picture it is hard to tell what model. Lots of old muskets were cut down by Bannerman and sold to military schools around the turn of the last century. Every 50-70 musket I have seen has been a three band with barrels between 33 and 36 inches.

From everything I have look into it is a shortend 50-70, got some help from a friend and got the brass orderd he already has the mold for the 450 boolit. so hopefully by the end of the week we can breath some life back into this weapon!!
    thanks
    Last edited by Charlie, AKA The Deacon; 11-14-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

any advise, the rifle is in great shape!
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Boolit Master
    Any markings on the rifle?

I have an 1868 with a fair barrel. It does pretty good with the Lee version of the 450gr Gvt bullet over 65gs of FFg compressed enough to seat the bullet for a firm crimp over the front band. The Lee bullet is larger diameter than the current Lyman version of the bullet and does far better in the old soldier.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master
    http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

Al Frasca has quite a bit of info.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of 1866s and an 1868 model that I shoot. They need a fat bullet of at least .515" diameter. Smaller ones do not shoot well. I use a Lee bullet in mine unsized just dipped in lube then I scrape the excess off with a fired case that I cut the head off. The Rifle I shoot the most is an 1866 and if will print 4 inch groups at 100 yards using 65 to 70 gr of FFG. It works well as I killed a buffalo two years ago with mine.

thank you for the replies, are mold is a 450 that cast a .515 that is what we are starting with and size down from their if need be. The barrel on this gun is mint so I hope we can get some good group size with it. Hope to have it up and going by this comming weekend!
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

North Cape Publications puts out a book by Richard Hosmer that covers the 58 and 50 Caliber rifles of Springfield Armory. You can get Richard's contact info from

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

or try:

http://www.the45-70book.com/books

IIRC some second model conversions were shortened at the Armory. Keep us posted!

Well I got out to shoot today, 65g of 2f and 450 gr. bullet the gunshot great exect for hitting real high at 50 and 100 yards with the front sight burried in the rear. Is their a front sight that your can replace the old style post with or is their something else I can do to get it down, I would like to have a 100 yard zero with this gun. The gunrealy surprized me I think we can have a real good shooter with this one just need to get the elivation under control.
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Being a Springfield check the throat... some get rather FAT. My 1866 type shoots much better with .518 boolits.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger1965 View Post
    Well I got out to shoot today, 65g of 2f and 450 gr. bullet the gunshot great exect for hitting real high at 50 and 100 yards with the front sight burried in the rear. Is their a front sight that your can replace the old style post with or is their something else I can do to get it down, I would like to have a 100 yard zero with this gun. The gunrealy surprized me I think we can have a real good shooter with this one just need to get the elivation under control.
    You can order either a solder on front sight, or a rear sight blank that can be filed to fit and drilled/notched, what-ever from Lodgewood. www.lodgewood.com Front sight should be the same contour as U.S. M1861-1863, (and file to zero) or you can grind off the blade and slot the base, soldering in a blank and file to zero. If you opt for a rear blank, it's a simple matter of replacing the leaf, finding zero and either drilling a "peep" or cutting and notching a "V". Either are made of very mild steel and easy to work.
    Last edited by oldhickory; 11-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759