39 36.45%
  • Bolt opens even with the safety on

64 59.81%
  • Who needs a safety?

4 3.74%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mauser 98 low profile safety

Boolit Grand Master

Yes those out of state hunters are SOOOOOOOOOO tasty!
    Charter Member #148

If I'm hunting, there is a round in the chamber. If I'm not, there's not one in the chamber. I like to shoot before the game escapes if possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I much prefer a side safety after market trigger.
    A deplorable that votes!

Mauser Sniper Extended Bolt Safety.
    Would this work? Only seen pictures, but looks like it would work well with w scope.

Quote Originally Posted by BS2 View Post
    Would this work? Only seen pictures, but looks like it would work well with w scope.
    It will work if your scope is mounted really high.

Boolit Buddy
    In 1984 I drew a Goat tag here in WA, and the rifle I packed for years was a Mauser with an old Jaeger trigger I had converted to a tang safety. When I had the Goat in my sights, I pushed off the safety and pulled the trigger and ???, AHA I did not have the safety off all the way, YUP, BANG in the air over the Goats head. Needless to say two things happened, One the second shot killed old Whiskers, and I never had had another tang safety on a rifle since.

I started working on making Win M70 three positon safetys to fit the Mauser 98 action. Took me a while but got them all figured out and started a nice business making those they of safetsy for quite a number of years. At one point I was making that type of M70 safety to fit 14 differrent actions.

As far as I am concerend it is the only type of safety you should have.

With the lever forward the rifle will fire, in the middle position the cocking piece is retracted and locked, but you can open the bolt to remove any ammo, with the bolt closed, and the safety to the rear the cocking piece is retracted and the bolt handle is locked.

Just my 2 cents.

JW

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Wisner View Post
    In 1984 I drew a Goat tag here in WA, and the rifle I packed for years was a Mauser with an old Jaeger trigger I had converted to a tang safety. When I had the Goat in my sights, I pushed off the safety and pulled the trigger and ???, AHA I did not have the safety off all the way, YUP, BANG in the air over the Goats head. Needless to say two things happened, One the second shot killed old Whiskers, and I never had had another tang safety on a rifle since.

I started working on making Win M70 three positon safetys to fit the Mauser 98 action. Took me a while but got them all figured out and started a nice business making those they of safetsy for quite a number of years. At one point I was making that type of M70 safety to fit 14 differrent actions.

As far as I am concerend it is the only type of safety you should have.

With the lever forward the rifle will fire, in the middle position the cocking piece is retracted and locked, but you can open the bolt to remove any ammo, with the bolt closed, and the safety to the rear the cocking piece is retracted and the bolt handle is locked.

Just my 2 cents.

JW
    I agree the M70 safety is by far the best. Too bad they have got so darned expensive, I have one more rifle I need to convert.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    They taste the same as resident hunters except there are less of them to feed the bears.

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Yes those out of state hunters are SOOOOOOOOOO tasty!
    EDG

Boolit Master
    The best safety is probably the 98 Mauser with the original military trigger. This whole thread is mostly a consequence of using a scope. If hunting dangerous critters why not forget the scope?
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    The best safety is probably the 98 Mauser with the original military trigger. This whole thread is mostly a consequence of using a scope. If hunting dangerous critters why not forget the scope?
    I've never hunted dangerous critters, or over bait/salt, so most shots are at least a couple hundred yards. Under ideal conditions, I could probably hit game at that distance with open sights or a peep, but I seldom find ideal conditions in the field, so the scope is quite convenient.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BS2 View Post
    They work very well. On some m98s the have a little bit sloppy feel due to tolerances between the shaft of the safety and it's bore. This doesnt affect it's function. You can remove this play with some teflon tape, or by installing a tiny plastic/nylon pice.

If your wallet is empty and still long time untill payday;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59df827e8c9c3_images(4).jpg.c6164ce69fc841b28f531a2bb8ccb521.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	235769

Boolit Master
    I have to say, the Dakota 3 position safety is a cheap, relatively easy way to make a SAFE propper working rifle. The sniper safety looks like a very viable alternative as well, though i have no experience with it. Another alternative would be a scout scope setup, although in my own oppinion, i think they look goofy. I have never tried on though, so who knows........

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Dakota 3 position safety on both of my 98s and love them.

I was thinking of something different obviously. That sniper safety would work but it's ugly and probably not smooth or quiet. I still prefer the left side wing type. Model 70 type is fine if that's what you like. All of them secure the firing pin when on safe.

Boolit Buddy
    If I remember correctly, and it's been many years since I did it, I modified a low scope safety to allow working the bolt with the safety on. So one could unload the gun without taking it off safety.
    If I recall correctly, the end of the shaft is not circular. Rather it has a "D" shape to it. What I did was to grind off part of the"D", so that instead of being half the shaft, it was only about 1/4 of the shaft.
    That allowed enough clearance so that the bolt could rotate while the safety was engaged.

Boolit Master
    Dependence on a safety for safety is not a good idea.
    I like to have my bolt locked closed even if I carry the chamber empty. Bolt handle often get snagged in brush. With an unlocked bolt your bolt can flop open. I knew a guy who had a sticking bolt stop on a M700 Remington. While elk hunting he found his bolt missing. He had carried his rifle unlocked. His bolt opened and the bolt fell out on the ground. He said his hunting buddies laughed their tails off at no bolt rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    The stock Mauser has a 3 position safety: OFF, On-bolt unlocked, On- bolt locked. When a low profile safety is installed, it is always a 2 position safety due to the limited swing available with the scope. I really like being able to open the bolt with the safety on. I don't like taking the safety off to do anything but fire.

The question becomes who makes a low profile safety that allows the bolt to open with the safety engaged?

Am I nuts to consider opening the bolt with the safety engaged as a desireable feature?
    EDG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123