• Bolt opens even with the safety on

64 59.81%
  • Who needs a safety?

4 3.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser 98 low profile safety

Boolit Master

Mauser 98 low profile safety

The stock Mauser has a 3 position safety: OFF, On-bolt unlocked, On- bolt locked. When a low profile safety is installed, it is always a 2 position safety due to the limited swing available with the scope. I really like being able to open the bolt with the safety on. I don't like taking the safety off to do anything but fire.

The question becomes who makes a low profile safety that allows the bolt to open with the safety engaged?

Am I nuts to consider opening the bolt with the safety engaged as a desireable feature?

Boolit Master

i think some of the safety's can be modified not to lock the bolt. i think the shaft needs to be shortened so it does not contact the bolt to do this.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have tried the low profile safeties a couple times, and was not happy with them. They did not stay in safe position reliably. A much better solution is a Gentry three position safety, if they are still available.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I agree with Waksupi, you should look up a side swing three position safety. I have a low mount that is on the left side instead of the right side. I like it as it is natural feeling to use thumb to push it off.

One must also think that with a 98 that cocks on opening a two position is the way to go. You don't need the safety when opening the bolt as the cocking piece will ride the came and keep firing pin back. If you have sear let off when you release the safe you have bigger issues.

Boolit Master

Change the trigger and get one with a Remington style safety and replace the bolt shroud.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I have tried the low profile safeties a couple times, and was not happy with them. They did not stay in safe position reliably. A much better solution is a Gentry three position safety, if they are still available.
    The website is still up: http://gentrycustom.com/pages/produc...s/safety.html#

They do look really nice, I am almost afraid to call and ask the price.

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt
    I have a low mount that is on the left side instead of the right side. I like it as it is natural feeling to use thumb to push it off.
    I have a low swing mounted on the left side of my 8mm-06 and I like it. My only complaints are that it is way too stiff to engage, and the safety still hits the scope when it is engaged (very slight, so I will solve that with a file) I looked at it the other day and I am thinking I can adjust the ramp on the safety to make it easier to engage.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes
    Change the trigger and get one with a Remington style safety and replace the bolt shroud.
    I really like the mauser safety system, the fact that it lifts the cocking piece off the seer is absolutely briliant. I will never call any safey 100% safe, but the mauser design gets high marks in my book.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    I have used a low position safety on a 250 savage mexican mauser for 30 years. I have had no problems Your main safety is between your ears. Control the muzzle direction always.
    James

Boolit Master

here is a similar style side swing made by Dakota, I like the Gentry also. the Dakota is shown as out of stock at both midway and brownells but a call to them never hurts. The Gentry is available.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=877219

If you have access to a mill or other toosl capable of doing a conversion, one could look at he Chapman or Wisner side swing safety conversions. I am told the Wisner is easier to machine the shroud for. I have not done either but ahve seen both. One needs to be heat treated aafter fitting, not sure which one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=877219
    Last edited by scrapcan; 11-12-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    All those options really do look nice, but it will be really tough to buy a safety that costs more than 3 times what I paid for the rifle. I suppose it is all relative, and you get what you pay for.

Boolit Master

rtracy2001,

now you know why the beuhler style low profile is so popular. I am in the same boat as you as far as "boy that is nice, but wow look at the price". Or safety, who needs a safety.

One could also find an aftermarket trigger gorup with safety as mentioned earlier, but again you now have an exspensive beater rifle.

Boolit Master

look into the bold triggers from boyds. you can also get them from midway, and sporter express i believe. nice for the price, one with a safety isn't too bad of a price.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    http://www.gswagner.com/swede/pmssafety/compare.htm

As Wagner points out, the $30 Wisner is nicer than the $20 Chapman.

I have installed both.
    I have the Chapman tooling.

Milling through the Mauser safety shroud with a saw takes annealing and low r.p.m. or the saw gets dull. Ask me how I know

My 98's have either the origional flag with aperture sights or the lowered flag (still left side) for aperture - scope use. Keeps the thumb on the side of the stock that it needs to be for quick operation. If $ were of no concern then I would like the Satterlee side swing (left side) safety.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master

Von Gruff,

I had not seen the left side Satterlee, I like it alot. Someday that would make a nice additon on a custom.

Boolit Grand Master

rtracy

"The question becomes who makes a low profile safety that allows the bolt to open with the safety engaged?"

Both the Dayton Traister and Timney (Buehler remake) can easily be modifyed to allow the bolt to open when on safe. Simply note where the front of the shaft rotates blocking the bolt and grind it so the bolt will open.

If unloading the magazine is the problem with the safety off then consider with the claw extractor it is not necessary to close the bolt on a chambered round. Simply chamber the cartridge until it pops out of the feed rails up under the extractor and then extract the cartridge. Entirely safe that way as the bolt is not closed. Of course the rifle should be pointed in a safe direction when taking the safety off and doing such just in case the trigger is actidently pressed or the bolt is accidently closed.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    rtracy

If unloading the magazine is the problem with the safety off then consider with the claw extractor it is not necessary to close the bolt on a chambered round. Simply chamber the cartridge until it pops out of the feed rails up under the extractor and then extract the cartridge. Entirely safe that way as the bolt is not closed. Of course the rifle should be pointed in a safe direction when taking the safety off and doing such just in case the trigger is actidently pressed or the bolt is accidently closed.

Larry Gibson
    The only round I need to unload using the bolt is the one in the chamber and a safety that allows the bolt to be worked is preferable for me to do this, although I have to admit that for years my go-to 98 in 7x61 S&H had no working safety except my care in handling.
    My 98's have a magazine release button that is far more eficient to unload the magazine with than to crank them out with the bolt.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    The only round I need to unload using the bolt is the one in the chamber and a safety that allows the bolt to be worked is preferable for me to do this,

Von Gruff.
    Amen to that. While I am still working on getting the floorplate release to where I want it on my Mausers, the round in the chamber is still the biggest concern. The secondary concern is it is much easier to dissasemble the bolt for cleaning and lubrication if you can open it with the safety on.

Larry,

Looks like your plan is the winner. I would rather not get the grinder out, but it is probably the way I will go.

Boolit Master

I usually keep the chamber empty and my finger off the trigger when I am hunting until I see game. Then I can usually work the bolt fast enough to safely fire at the animal. If its a fleeting shot that would require me to potentially do a hasty shot or a potential miss, than I don't normally fire.

Thus, I have really effective safety on my Mauser rifles since there isn't a cartridge in the chamber until its time for me to fire the rifle.

For target shooting I primarily shoot aperture for highpower but for long-range matches I use a scope. I primarily keep the rifle empty until need to load a cartridge for the shot there as well.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    + Another 1 on that!!

More money, but well worth it! Its just like having a 3 position Dakota or model 70 safety.

http://www.gentrycustom.com/pages/pr...es/safety.html

If you are using the original firing pin and are only concerned with removing the round from the chamber, the way the bolt is set up once you start to raise the bolt handle the firing pin cannot contact the primer. If you take the bolt apart and carefully inspect how it was designed you will see what I mean.

M98 113 years later and it is still the benchmark for bolt actions. Reliable controlled feeding etc. etc. .
    Last edited by DCM; 02-20-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast