Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lube test Pictures

Boolit Master
    The Randal Team is small bore right Doc?

The scores that have to be shot in that are Crazy! to even Place. That is awesome to say the very very least.

You did very well Doc, and she Has much to thank when it comes to your help.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Doc I'm not interested in what lubes work in smokeless or duplex either......
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Doc that is great, just great and I am proud of you and for you.
    Waksupi
    This may be interesting to you. I sell lots of muzzle loader conicals and all of them leave here lubed with NASA. I get lots of feed back about how pleased folks are with how well they shoot and also about the lube and how well it works. These folks shoot everything and anything that can be stuffed into a front loader including real powder.
    I think Jef at Forefathers casting is using it too because in the last year or so he has made two large purchases of nasa and I know he sells lots of ML stuff too.
    If you would like to try some for your ML conical shooting let me know and I would be happy to get a sample to you.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Doc that is great, just great and I am proud of you and for you.
    Waksupi
    This may be interesting to you. I sell lots of muzzle loader conicals and all of them leave here lubed with NASA. I get lots of feed back about how pleased folks are with how well they shoot and also about the lube and how well it works. These folks shoot everything and anything that can be stuffed into a front loader including real powder.
    I think Jef at Forefathers casting is using it too because in the last year or so he has made two large purchases of nasa and I know he sells lots of ML stuff too.
    If you would like to try some for your ML conical shooting let me know and I would be happy to get a sample to you.
    Geez, Dan, you really know how to hurt a guy! I never have, nor will I ever, shoot a conical in any of my muzzle loaders! I use the proper projectiles!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Talking

Thank You! for the comments everyone. Yes Kenny the Randal is small bore and Claudia Duksa the young girl in the picture with me has also been to the Olympic Training camp for both small-bore and air rifle. I take my coaching at a personal level in the fact that it is a reflection on my coaching skills first and my shooting skills second and I can be proud of what I have passed on. I feel that Kenny's will be able to be put into book form like Paul Matthews some day. One of my brother in-laws just asked me this Thanksgiving to train one of his sons and I said OK. He will be taught the importance of a shooting diary along with math and science and its application to shooting and self discipline.

Boolit Master
    Rick,

I just about blew my Chia Tea all over the Keyboard on that one.

Doc again to Mentor and have such results, Be very proud my friend.

Thanks for the 6MM Br tips too helpful and insightful.

Makes me wonder how the hell I ever shot that 1.336 Group at Raton.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Master
    Waksupi
    Can you ever forgive me? I dont know what I was thinking! I am so ashamed!

Boolit Master
    Say now wait a dog gone minute here. There are some decent respectable folks shooting boolits in thier ML.
    How about our friend in France Mr. Wilde and even our own KW talking about building a slug gun. So for those so inclined nasa works perty good.

Boolit Master
    Bullshop,

easy! My own Slug guning will be with Paper Patch bullets, and two piece affairs from what I am learning.

KW

Ironically, most of my playing with different guns, loads and lubes since this spring, have mirrored everything Kenny and DanT have said. And I don't say that because I just copied them, but because I've tried a lot of different things, and keep coming back to what they say.
    I take everybody's advice with a grain of salt, until I can see if it works for me.

I compared NASA lube against SPG this spring and came up with the same results Kenny did above. My groups with SPG were smaller than with NASA. But because I was in the middle of developing my load for the 45-90 and I still had the original heavy trigger setup in it, I did not take my my results as gospel and still don't. I did try one string of ten with the NASA lube with no blow tube that I wrote down "excellent vertical, poor Horizontal" so that could have just my shooting.

So, Like DGL, I still haven't formed a firm opinion about NASA lube. I do like the texture of it.
    I have developed a bias against all Beeswax based lubes tho, because I have seen what they will do in very extreme conditions. However I am still using SPG (that I know contains beeswax) for two very simple reasons.

1. I have developed several loads for a couple of my guns that shoot the fouling shot in the same spot as the next. To me that is important because we have our gong shoots on Sunday at one. I get out of church at 12, rush home and change clothes, grab a snack, and get to the shoot just in time to shoot. A lot of the others are already there practicing, getting readings and fouling their barrels. I start out with my first sighter from a clean barrel and have to know my next shot will impact in the same spot.

2. I know and have faith in its accuracy with the proper foul control methods in most of the months I shoot.

I do know its limitations, and hopefully Kennys tests will lead us to bigger and better things for the Summer months.

Brian

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Say now wait a dog gone minute here. There are some decent respectable folks shooting boolits in thier ML.
    How about our friend in France Mr. Wilde and even our own KW talking about building a slug gun. So for those so inclined nasa works perty good.
    It simply isn't done, Old Boy. Simply isn't done. We must have standards, you know. There are youngsters watching.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Ah yes the cross patch, I have used it too. Is it not true that the shooters of the day transitioned from the cross patch or Chase patch to the rolled patch? Whether it was for improved accuracy or to simplify loading I am not sure. Maybe I am wrong all together. My memory is intermittent at best.

All kidding aside the cross patch works good with the conical and round ball, it releases much sooner than a wrapped patch or the cut off linen patch

I think I wouldn't have time to shoot patched...13 in 30mins can be tricky. Even with the GG bullet in the ML...I sometimes get close to going over time.

However...I hold my hand up willfully as I really am just a youngster with the ML...still trying to get to grips with it.

But yes...NASA works wonderfully in it...

...just wish I did...

..still there's always next season.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Buddy
    Which is why I shoot breechloader - for ML, those 30 minutes are really tight, one doesn't have to waste any time at all in order to get 13 accurate shots on target. Besides, I'm lazy and don't like to get up every time to load

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12