Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: black powder and plastic wads

black powder and plastic wads

this may have been covered before but I can't find it.

Do plastic wads, whole ones not cut down ones, give enough compression for black powder? I shot off a handfull of 12 guage in my moss 500. In the midst of staring down the barrel I got to wondering.

Boolit Master

Absolutely, been using them for 5 years for cowboy shooting. Why wouldn't they? As long as they aren't hung up in the case there seems to be no reason they wouldn't work that I can think of.

Call me peranoid if you wish --- but the only plastic wads I will use with true black are --- Federal wads --- and steel shot wads --- prefer not to use plastic wad at all of course but sometimes its just what work best

Flimsy cushion section of wads other then Federal or steel shot --- don't like idea of using for black --- probably work --- yes --- but still don't like.

Banned
    just get nitro wads,fiber wads,and over shot wads

prime the put the powder and then 1 nitro,1-2 fiber,and a over shot card

Boolit Master

Yes they work

I use both the steel shot type for turkey and waterfowl loads
    And replacement AA type for other shooting

But be warned
    The heat of the black will melt the base of the wad some
    And deposit it on the walls of the barrel

Making cleaning the shotgun 3X more fun

I use Shooters Choice solvent , then go in with soap&water

I for 1 like the plastic wads for hunting
    But shoot card wads for target and upland
    As the plastic removal from the barrel is a PITA

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Plastic fouling!

Several years ago I used the old AA12R (red wad) and black powder in my old Stevens 335 double 12ga. on a hot early season dove hunt. The old double began to show pressure problems after 20 to 25 rounds. I found the soft plastic wads had melted enough to narrow the bore! A 10 gauge bore brush pulled long strands of red plastic from the bore.

Since that experience, the I have avoided plastic gas seals of any kind with black powder. If plastic shot cups are needed, card wads are used over powder.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have loaded and fired thousands of 12 ga hulls with 70 grs. of 2F powder and plastic wads. It is funny how people who don't shoot them can say bad about them. If someone cares to wager a bet in fun of course no money involved. I loaded my first shotgun hulls in 1970 on a Mec 600 and then bought a Mec 700 Versamatic. I now use a Sizemaster. I shoot the 70 grs behind 1 1/8 th of 7 1/2 shot loaded in STS or Nitro27 hulls. They are fired out of a 1887 Repo lever action or a 1878 Colt SXS hammer gun. I have fired as many as 35 straight in a match with no cleaning in between stages. The clean up is so easy you will laugh when you do it and not believe all the BC stories. You use Windex W/ Vinegar not "ammonia". Spray it heavy down one or both barrels and follow with a bronze brush. On you first pass you will have what appears to be a shed snakeskin exit the muzzle. Spray again followed by at least two more passes with brush. Then spray one patch with moosemilk and pass down the bbl. Last step that I do but bbl is clean at this point is to run my bore snake down the bbl. Wipe down and put away. Your targets will fall much easier as the shot cup gives you the effect of a choked gun. Back when I used the wads and overshot wads I was having donut holes in my patterns. I use the Short wad made for 2 1/2 inch hulls sold by BPI. Your bird count will go up also. This also speeds up the loading process.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Mold
    WOW,thanks a bunch for that post,Cajun,I've been trying to figure out what wad to use.I'm very much a newb at shotgunning as well as BP
    My sizemaster is easy to use,I just need more info on how to build loads,lol

Boolit Bub
    I used plastic shotcups (Alcan 7 others) for several years. Since then I've switched to fibre wads and couldn't be happier. 80 grs of FF, overpowder card, fibre wad & 1 1/8oz of #7 1/2 all in 2 3/4" plastic hulls with star crimp (no overshot card). I lube the cushion wads with Crisco. This softens the fouling and keeps the patterns true (instead of blowing open). No problem taking out KDs & fliers (clays, beer, etc). I use in several old SxS & a 20" coach gun as well as a Norinco 1887. Cleanup is a snap, especially compared to getting the stringy plastic out of the barrel. Extended shooting with plastic could leave enough residue to increase chamber pressure.

I clean using a rod, toilet paper & windshield solvent.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    When I started playing with BP shotshells, I insisted on using traditional fibre wads, etc. Most of the other shooters who I shoot cowboy action with use plastic wads. These seem to work well, but leave a lot of plastic which is usually easily removed by dumping half a kettle of boiling water down each barrel.

I have since found out that there is a different approach to the taper in front of each chamber with guns produced in recent years to suit the plastic wads which came into use 20 or so years ago.

I have heard that the recently produced guns will pattern better with plastic wads. I have not had time to test this theory, but it sounds reasonable.

If you have plastic wads on hand, I'd be trying them first, they may suit your gun.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    One more time for all of you naysayers. Go to any big grocery or cleaning supplies store like Lowe's or Home Depot. Buy the large bottle of Windex W/ Vinegar "NOT AMMONIA". Spray inside of barrels until it drips out the end. Use a Bronze bore brush for about four passes. Respray and use cotton patches. Run Bore snake down barrels that has Ballistol sprayed on it. The bores will shine like a mirror. Once you know the process it is completed in about three minutes. It is not a "PITA" and if anyone will take the time they will then see the truth about using wads with BP. All of these horror stories are passed like other rumors and become fact after a while. BP cleans as easy or easier than smokeless. I am talking about real BP and not any of the FAKES. You also don't have to worry about how much wad pressure you use. Just seat down on powder firm and add shot. Because of the amount of space used by the BP you will be unable to use most wads. The short wad that is made for the old 2 1/2 in hulls is the one that I have found works best. If you fold crimp you may be better off with a over shot card placed before. I use the roll crimp which lets you use the hulls with less space left for the crimp. Come to the Dark Side!!!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet