Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Winchester model 70 safety loose in fire

Boolit Buddy

Winchester model 70 safety loose in fire

Ok so let me say I have always loved the look and feel of about every factory model 70 I have ever laid hands on. Know I have owned a few Rugers and a pile of rem 700s. I had a basic model 70 in 300wm that was the blind mag with irons and it was in pretty rough shape so I sold it as I am picky with my guns at times. So sorry to be long winded.
    I recently acquired a model 70 push feed short action 308 carbine. Gun has hardly been fired and is in amazingly good shape for an 84. With that being said the safety works smooth and doesn't get stuck. On full safe it does engage the firing pin and hold it back as well as intermediate position. Bolt stays put at full safe and operates at intermediate position. When on fire the selector wiggles freely back and forth some and up and down some. I can see the plunger in the shroud and the detente it's supposed to ride in. I suspect it's the plunger or spring?? Is it normal or do I need to take it down to inspect further??
    It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...od-trade/page3

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yotatrd4x4 View Post
    Ok so let me say I have always loved the look and feel of about every factory model 70 I have ever laid hands on. Know I have owned a few Rugers and a pile of rem 700s. I had a basic model 70 in 300wm that was the blind mag with irons and it was in pretty rough shape so I sold it as I am picky with my guns at times. So sorry to be long winded.
    I recently acquired a model 70 push feed short action 308 carbine. Gun has hardly been fired and is in amazingly good shape for an 84. With that being said the safety works smooth and doesn't get stuck. On full safe it does engage the firing pin and hold it back as well as intermediate position. Bolt stays put at full safe and operates at intermediate position. When on fire the selector wiggles freely back and forth some and up and down some. I can see the plunger in the shroud and the detente it's supposed to ride in. I suspect it's the plunger or spring?? Is it normal or do I need to take it down to inspect further??
    check the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Does it have an after market trigger? I ran into a similar problem with a poorly installed Timney trigger.

Check detent spring and ball in safety. With that much play, something is missing.

Boolit Buddy

It is all factory with factory trigger so I am gonna take bolt down to see if spring or detent is missing or if the spring is broken or badly compressed etc and will post my results.
    It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag

Boolit Buddy

Well took it apart and what a bear it was to do! Once I got it figured out but man that spring is strong and was awful to put back together!! When I pulled the safety lever the spring and detente stayed inside the bolt shroud. When I looked from the other side the shroud had a small mushroomed spot at the front that contacts the bolt body? Used a small punch and easily tapped til the spring and detente came out. Took a file and lightly chambered all the way around the front end of the detent and filed it back flat as well. Safety is nice and tight now!!! Thanks fellas. I had an idea that might have been the issue but wasn't sure I should attempt taking the bolt apart.

Boolit Master

Good fix, now you can trust your safety.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )