Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman Targetspot 10X

Boolit Master

Lyman Targetspot 10X

I am in the process of acquiring a very nice Targetspot 10X. It does of course have the recoil spring assembly and stop collar. My question is will it withstand the recoil forces of a 45-70 Rolling Block (BP Loads Only)

Thoughts??

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Talking

Yes, I have shot them with full power 30/06 loads. Just remember to not move the spring all the way forward so the scope cannot slide forward during recoil. . After you set the stop collar for where you want the scope to be, I would start with the spring about 1-1/2" back from there for the first shot then look to see how far forward the scope slid. If the scope slid forward 1" I would now move the spring forward so it is about 3/4" from the stop.

Boolit Master

That makes good sense. Thanks Doc! Any other usage tips to pass along? I REALLY do not want to accidentally abuse this glass.

SS

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Talking

I make sure that the tube is clean and wipe it with a silicone cloth so it will not pick up dirt. You have to also remember to pull the scope back after each shot and when I do, I do it with a slight clockwise pressure to help make sure that the the scope is in the same position for each shot. The clockwise pressure is so you will not unscrew the eye piece. I have both Lyman Super Target Spot and Unertl scopes and they are nice scopes.

Boolit Master

Doc,I thought the spring returned the scope to position or am I mechanically impaired?

SS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Talking

SharpsShooter, that is fine for cartridges like the 22 Lr but as the recoil goes up it is safer to allow the scope to slide without coming back too far, otherwise with it tight it will act like spring air rifles with a reverse recoil. I have mine set so after the shot I am pulling the scope back about 1/4" max, the spring acts like a shock absorber so the scope does not stop dead at the end of the recoil.

Boolit Master

Hey Doc,

That agrees with everything I can find about using these scopes. Given the info I have at present, I plan to use the spring to cushion the travel but return the scope to position by hand as per your advice.

Thanks

SS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy

I love these old external adjustment scopes. Ok! they are old but I have found the optics to be excellent. Plus they look nice on older rifles. Congratulations on your buy.