Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Military LSA Gun Lube

Boolit Buddy

Military LSA Gun Lube

I have two unopened gallon cans of military LSA Gun lube. Bought em several years ago cheap mail order surplus , to refill the small plastic OD bottles that I have.
    I was just wondering if anyone has found a good use for it , besides gun lube...It's kinda runny to be using as a bullet lube, but maybe it could be mixed with other compounds to make it work....
    Just an idea, thought I would ask..... I guess til I figger somethin out, I'll just keep squirtin it on my guns and rubbing it around......LOL "PJ"

Here are the label specs:
    LSA
    Lube Oil Semi-Fluid
    Mil-L-46000C
    9150-00-753-4686
    ROYAL LUBRICANTS Co.Inc
    Feb. 90 Lot 89-2
    DLA 400-89-2
    Qual FA Lab Rpt 156092
    1 US gallon
    Type II
    Last edited by Papa Jack; 11-17-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Add Specs
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

hmmm i've no idea actually .... but one could use it in place of the oil ( or soft/liquid part ) of any lube recipe , a little bit of blending and experimenting will be in order to get the consistency that you desire but we have that with any lube ( and often summer to winter same lube consistency )
    if the recipe calls for say 2 tablespoons of dexron try two of your lube ( it mite take more if it's a semi -fluid ) or in place of vaseline a little less ( depends upon that "semi-fluid"state ) none of will know until you try it so ...... my best caution would be to start small and try not to make it too slick ( and take notes !! ) i've often used little tin foil trays i made just to pan lube a few to test

I used to mix LSA-T 50/50 with CLP to thicken up the CLP and make it stick better. The M-249 SAW loved it. They used to jam like it was cool on ranges, and the better they were lubed, the better they would shoot. Especially with the old style gas regulators and op-rods. We already had the LSA-T on hand for the MK-19s so it was just a matter of mixing it up into one of the 16 oz squirt bottles, and spraying it on.

My ’2
    Armorer

Boolit Buddy
    We had some lube in plastic tubes in Nam, it was white and creamy ( yea, I know...... ) but it had small balls of something mushy in it, we used it in M-60's . We always thought the small balls were like silicone or teflon, I know the cream was lots stiffer than the regular LSA in the plastic Bottles marked "Weapons oil, Medium"...
    I guess I'll have to open one of these cans and see just what I got....."PJ"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Grand Master
    It seems to separate with age. I have several large green tubes of it. Does freezing and thawing cause the separation??

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    It seems to separate with age. I have several large green tubes of it. Does freezing and thawing cause the separation??

SHiloh
    Not sure....I know the label on the can says "SHELF LIFE ITEM", and has an expiration date. Of Coarse mine is well past the date .
    I'll try to remember to open a can this weekend and see what it looks like.
    I have several of the plastic oval squirt tubes of LSA Medium, they still look like the day I opened em. I use it frequently for gun oil, keep a tube or bottle in my shooting bag...PJ

I don't know if it freezes...You'd think if it's military, it wouldn't freeze, who knows, maybe it's synthetic?....
    Last edited by Papa Jack; 11-19-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Add info
    Call Sign CENTAUR