RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Help with a simple lube

Boolit Bub

Help with a simple lube

Greetings to all, I'm new on this form and new to making a lube. The lube will be for a 32-40 Winchester bullet 319247 being shot from a Stevens 44 (not a 44 1/2) so the pressures will be held to that of BP loads. Would like to hear what you would suggest for a simple lube for bullets being shot as cast and pan lubed. I have just purchased the mold, and a Lyman BIG DIPPER furnace, and other equipment. Learning how to cast with a laddle at present. Have much to learn. Your suggestion will be a big help. Thanks, Sendaro

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    You need to give the informaton on what powder before a lube could be suggested.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

black powder velocities can usually run black powder lubes ( even without black powder ) having said that... emmert's works and is real easy and universal and can be modified about six ways to sunday ( recipe in the lube recipe section ) and also will work if you decide to shoot black powder , but when you mention "shot as cast " nothing comes close to the ease of tumble lubing unless you just have your heart set on pan lubing and recluse has an excellent article ( and recipe ) also in the stickies section , several lubes work or can be made to work for pan lubing , some like darr's lube often takes a lil more tweaking than others but for lower velocity rounds it isnt as critical as the higher velocity ones [shrugz]

btw ? welcome to the forum ! the best advice i can honestly give is "just do it ( sorry nike ) i admit i studied the lube forum about a billion times and none of it helped me as much as just trying it ( granted the threads did help prepare me - thanx guys !! )

Banned

+1 on Emmert's for sub 12K c.u.p. loads.

Gear

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    +1 on Emmert's for sub 12K c.u.p. loads.

Gear
    Another vote for Emmerts, I use a modified version I use lanolin in place of the oil.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys. I'll look up the Emmerts lube and give it a try. BTW the powder I have been using in IMR4227 at 12 grains. Again the rifle is a Stevens 44 and not the stronger 44 1/2, so I need to keep the pressure levels down to what blk powder would be. Just shooting paper, steel gongs and plan to hunt a few woodchucks with this rifle in the spring. So power is not a big issue but accuracy is the main goal. If you can hit the mark what good is the power?

Boolit Buddy
    If your bullet fit is good, you could easily do the job with LLA or Lars's XLox. Just for a suggestion, try 4759 powder.

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Bub
    Trifocals, I have an old can of IMR4759 powder. The rifle that I'm shooting is a Stevens 44 and not the stronger 44 1/2, so I have to kep the pressures down to that of a blk powder load. The cartridge is the Winchester 32-40. Would like to hear your suggestions for this powder and my rifle. The bullet mold that I have is a double cavity Lyman #319247. The bullets are droping from the mold with a 1 to 25 mix at 158 grains. What would you suggest for a load? Please advise.