MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Miroku challenge

Miroku challenge

Hi all, I just picked up a Miroku 1863 rifled musket on Gunbroker. Checking out the barrel, it seems the rifling cutter they used was extremely dull. It plowed up nasty burrs on the corner of each land, and through the borescope you can see the grain structure of where the steel has been "smashed" there rather than cut. So I have a barrel that is supposed to have a bore diameter of .580" and a .570" pin won't pass through it. I would think ideally I want a spiral flute reamer to run through there, then maybe hand lap or fire lap from there. Except I can't find a source of spiral flute reamers the right size. I can put sand paper on a really long stick and go at it that way, which might work. I haven't tried removing the breech plug so I can go all the way through, not sure if that is a good idea or not with this barrel. I guess I could have it relined, but that costs more than I paid for the whole thing. Besides, it's more fun to fix stuff yourself. Anybody have any good suggestions?

Boolit Master

Fire Lap that bad boy Nobade. If you do it right it works like a charm. You can assemble components yourself or I *think* Midway and Brownells both offer fire lapping kits. Might have seen one of the vendors here offer one too but I can't remember whom.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I would go the firelap route also. You might be surprised how well it can shoot.
    I have shot some barrels that figured would be better as tomato stakes and discovered they shot good enough to eliminate corn crunchers. They will not win a match but 4-5 inches at 50 yards will even knock down coyotees.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

OK, this was the deal. Bore diameter is .580", but a .570" pin would not pass. That means it can't be loaded. It's hard to firelap something if you can't load it. Soooo........ I removed to breech plug, and went at it with a 1/2 inch dowel rod wrapped with sandpaper. I started with 120, then switched to 240. I sanded on it for about an hour, and now a .577" pin will pass. I still haven't touched the lands with the sandpaper, but have really cut down the plowed up parts on the edges of the lands. NOW I can load it and start firelapping. Other than this little problem the barrel looks really good, and I doubt it has ever been fired. Once I get the lock tuned, it will be soon!